2011 AMA Supercross season

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

2011 AMA Supercross season

#1 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Anyone watching Supercross?

We're coming up on Round 8 this weekend. It was looking like a Villopoto vs Stewart fight for the championship for a bit. Then Windham ALMOST got a win but crashed out and Canard took a win at Rd6 and then Reed in the wet conditions at Round 7 in San Diego, so things are opening up a little.

Stewart still looks as smooth, strong, and almost as dominant as Rossi has looked in MotoGP for most of his career, but in racing --and especially Supercross-- anything and everything can happen, and usually does in SX before the season is out. 18 Races and mostly back to back weekends it's phenomenal.

I actually prefer the Outdoor MX series for the natural terrain but SX is a great technical spectacle.

The Lites stuff is great too... and we even have a guy who grew up in Canada and is a serious contender for the East Lites series: Dean Wilson. I have photos of him somewhere from early 2001 or there-about when he was kicking butt at Wildrose Motocross Park in Calgary on his KX85... I'll see if I can locate a couple, just for kicks.

Here's the rounds so far:

01 January 8 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
02 January 15 - Chase Field - Phoenix, AZ
03 January 22 - Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
04 January 29 - Oak-Alameda City Stadium - Oakland, CA
05 February 5 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
06 February 12 - Reliant Stadium - Houston, TX
07 February 19 - Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego, CA

and now onto
08 February 26 - Georgia Dome - Atlanta, GA
Attachments
SX_Rnd07_Stewart.jpg
SX_Rnd07_Stewart.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 15042 times
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: 2011 AMA Supercross season

#2 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Rnd 8 - Lites - Main pic

really love this track ... great motivation to keep working on my fitness level...
Attachments
SX_R08_Lites-Main.jpg
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Round 8 was great racing as the whole season has been so far...

If you thought Barcia's move on Wilson was overly aggressive at Round 7, then when you see Reed's pathetic boneheaded move in the 450 Class in the Main, you will realize that Barcia is a a** Lite compared with ex-factory a**h**** Chad Reed. I havent watched SX for a long time, so I dont know much about the history of most of these riders other than by reputation.

Both of these jerks are like politician's, talking a good talk about the incidents, deflecting questions and claiming there involvement as "normal" competitiveness -- the will to win. They have both also done one other significant thing on camera: they both claim that the other guy is riding the same way that they are when clearly the other guys make much cleaner moves. These guys like the chumps Ive seen in hockey.. amateur, pro, street hockey .. it doesnt matter. there's always a few.

There's probably a good reason beyond the economy that Reed didn't get backing from the factories this year. I hope Honda regrets giving him support and he gets that move enough of repaid back in full + interest soon. I love what Stewart did to try and counteract the takeout.

I'll keep cheering for the true sportmen, like Windham, Stewart and Wilson. There are always some bad moves in racing and some riders who will do anything for the win, even early in the season. But the guys I remember from the old days, are the guys who were sportsmen and strong competitors, like McGrath, Bayle and Stanton. Bradshaw was pretty awesome and wild and I don't remember any ridiculous (clearly intentional) take-outs from him either. All great riders, super competitive, but sportsmen.

//monkey
Attachments
SX_R08_Lites-Main-First-Win.jpg
SX_R08_Lites-Main-First-Win.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 15013 times

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

If you're not watching the Supercross then you're missing some of the best racing!

Stewart keeps displaying amazing strength, stamina, determination and brilliant riding. He is looking a bit like Stoner in GPs when it comes to his luck though. But he is making magic out of mud.

With all the fall-out up to Round 9 ---- Daytona --- It's all falling into Villopoto's hands at the moment, although Dungey is looking good.

The Daytona track was awesome, and conditions made for great racing AND the camera-shots from an ATV alongside the track was wicked.
Attachments
Supercross_RD9_Daytona.jpg
Supercross_RD9_Daytona.jpg (15.34 KiB) Viewed 14966 times

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

As a heads up to peoples - the main event from Round 9 Daytona Supercross by Honda is on yooogube and there are lots of highlight clips from rabid fans...

Watch it on your Android device or iPooo :-) iPuck, iPaid2much, iForgot. (When Steve Jobs' health improves he'll remind you himself... anyhoooo... ok, come on Jobsy -- get out there and slug that Balmer jackazz for us all.)

It's always way better to watch it all live or as near as live on CBS or Speed and see the whole thing unfold through the heat races while the great commentary from Emig and Carmichael as well as Ralph Sheheen keeps it steaming along.

Just past half season now and lots of guys in the hunt :mrgreen: with Dungey doing well but still looking for a win!

Round 10 - Indy

Supercross Class Results: Indianapolis

1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
5. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
6. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
8. Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha
9. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM

and the season standings

Supercross Class Season Standings

1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 221
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 195
3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda, 192
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 183
5. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 169
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 129
7. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 121
8. David Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 114
9. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki, 107
10. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 103

next... Round 10 - Florida...
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

AMA SX R11 - Jacksonville Florida -- bizarre how things changed for the worse for two great riders but great to see of # 41 making his mark - Trey Canard
Attachments
trey_canard_41.jpg
trey_canard_41.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 14920 times
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Kudos to Wilson in the East Lites class! - Hope to see him hit the top of the podium next time...

And good news today regarding James Stewart's crash in the 450 class-- Though the Asterisk medical crew assisted him off of the track, further evaluation showed no signs of serious injury. Banged up and bruised, Stewart will spend the week recovering and preparing to race Toronto. “I was really hoping to pull this one out,” Stewart said. “It was my home state, I’m familiar with the tracks, all my fans were there cheering me on and it’s just really disappointing for me, my team, my sponsors and my fans. It’s all about Toronto and the rest of the season now.”

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

The Toronto Supercross really marked some dramatic changes in the 450 Supercross season after bad luck in Jacksonville for Villipoto and the erratic Stewart who both had less than stellar finishes in Toronto.

Finally Ryan Dungey got his first win of the season. That marks 6 different race winners for 2011.

Toronto Supercross Results

1. Ryan Dungey SUZ
2. Chad Reed HON
3. Trey Canard HON
4. James Stewart YAM
5. Justin Brayton YAM
6. Nick Wey YAM
7. Andrew Short KTM
8. Kevin Windham HON
9. Ryan Villopoto KAW
10. Cole Seely HON

So Chad Reed now leads the series! Amazing -- and since I'm not a Chad fan I'll say "ANYBODY BUT REED!"

Overall Supercross Points

1. Chad Reed, 236
2. Ryan Villopoto, 233
3. Ryan Dungey, 228
4. James Stewart, 216
5. Trey Canard, 214
6. Andrew Short, 159
7. Justin Brayton, 137
8. Kevin Windham, 134
9. Davi Millsaps, 128
10. Nick Wey, 109

The season is now 2/3rds complete there's 5 weeks remaining, 5 races, and the top 5 guys all have a shot for the championship!!

What's left?

- April 2 - Cowboys Stadium - Dallas, TX
- April 9 - Edward Jones Dome - St. Louis, MO
- April 16 - Qwest Field - Seattle, WA
- April 30 - Rice-Eccles Stadium - Salt Lake, UT
- May 7 - Sam Boyd Stadium - Las Vegas, NV

Man! I wonder if I could somehow manage to go to the Seattle, Utah or Nevada races -- that'd be wicked! I need to renew my passport.

Here's a lap around the track circa 2006 with James Stewart...

and a pic of Dungey holding off Reed...
Attachments
SX_450_Toronto1.jpg
SX_450_Toronto1.jpg (15.63 KiB) Viewed 14865 times

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Round 13 - Arington/Dallas, Texas

#9 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

R13 - The Dallas track was hardpacked with an unreal whoops section!

Lites - Dean Wilson rode hard and countered Justin Barcia to perfection... he did exactly what I hoped for after the last round.

450 - badda bing! bim bam boom! for some front runners and Canard pulls away to become another guy with two race wins under his belt ... all the Top 5 guys were in it and working hard against a tough track and against eachother...

Great racing as usual and the closest SX season in years...

Vid: Stewart was so crazy fast through the whoops, but no place to go when he gains a ton of time on Reed and loses it exiting the section...

Supercross 450 Results: Arlington

1. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
7. Thomas Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Yamaha
8. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
9. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Yamaha
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM

Supercross 450 Season Standings

1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 255
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda, 249
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 248
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 239
5. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 234
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 174
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 150
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 141
9. David Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 129
10. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 114

East Supercross Lites Results: Arlington

1. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Georgia, Honda
3. Blake Wharton, Aubrey, Texas, Honda
4. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
5. Matthew Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki
6. Darryn Durham, Butler, Penn., Honda
7. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
8. Gannon Audette, Cairo, Georgia, Yamaha
9. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
10. Tyler Bright, Sumter, S.C., Honda

East Supercross Lites Season Standings

1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Georgia, Honda, 160
2. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki, 147
3. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Kent., Yamaha, 119
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 114
5. Blake Wharton, Aubrey, Texas, Honda, 109
6. Matthew Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki, 96
7. P.J. Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 80
8. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 73
9. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda, 59
10. Lance Vincent, Youngsville, L.A., Honda, 56
Attachments
SX-R13-monster-whoop-dee-doos.jpg
SX-R13-monster-whoop-dee-doos.jpg (15.1 KiB) Viewed 14836 times

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Round 14 - St. Louis

Great heat races and the main!

James Stewart wins the St. Louis Supercross. Bubba is now in 4th place in the series, 16 points behind Supercross series leader, Ryan Villopoto who finished 3rd. Ryan Dungey rode hard once again, as he finished in 2nd place and passes Chad Reed for 2nd in the points standing. Justin Barcia wins the 250 East Regional Main Event and increases his points lead over Dean Wilson.

In Lites - Barcia got away well and left others to mix it up -- and they did -- Sipes went well, and Wilson had to punt Barcia's team-mate, Wharton, off the track... not a clean pass... looks like the pressure is taking it's toll and Wilson is now 20 points down with one East Lites race to decide the championship. With 25 points for victory, if Barcia has a smooth last race, he'll have the championship for Honda, but anything can happen out there, as the racing situation it has many times this season especially for Sipes in 250, and also in the 450 class.

I dont think there's any reason to report on the last rounds here, cuz anyone interested in this awesome race season is either watching the action or out blasting berms themselves...
Attachments
stlouis_sx.jpg
stlouis_sx.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 14816 times