2005 MotoGP Season, Whats your picks

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

hurray! a bet... and Highside is already quoting test sessions to build up his man :-)

I like Hopkins. He has become genuinely GP-fast, and it will be a good run between he and KRJr during the season. I like tough bets that are hard to know the outcome without a little faith and luck... but I also like to win :P so I like putting the coin on Kenny.

At least a few of us will have something good to watch for at Team Suzuki, even if the bikes are not fully competitive... all remains to be seen, :popcorn: The test times look really good for Hopkins/Suzook, but as testing and racing often have very different outcomes there will be some fun to be had.

Of course we could always spread the bets out across the board, team to team or something, Rossi/Edwards, Biaggi/Nicky, etc... :-) (ooops! i am sounding like a card shark)

To spice things up, Highside, we could do something simple to make things more fun during the season: whoever is leading on points during pubnights can buy the other a drink, or a box of smarties. I guess I may have to start drinking Guinness again, when someone else is paying for them :beer:

Let me know if you wanna up the ante. I guess at best/worst it's five free beer building up to the $5 Victory... see you in May or June or whenever the next pubnight happens... maybe i will have a bike on the road by then. We can tally a beer for each pub night so that no one sneaks away when the points are against them... say upto 10 pubnights just incase someone decides to plan eight dozen pubnights a month all summer long!!... we can't be promoting overzealous beer betting (snicker).

It's been a long year without one (bike that is)... i think April 15th or so will be my official "one year without a bike"... yikes... i didnt even borrow one all year long. i shouldn't buy a new camera yet... priorities... er, indecision. Ah well... I can survive another few months even with this great weather... the bicycle is pretty fun to ride too... just 100hp shy. maybe something special will come my way.

:teehee:

//monkey

p.s. I saw Hopkins was looking good at the Jerez test before I placed my bet. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2005/Mar/tb/050325x.htm

;-)
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#12 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Chels wrote:Ya hopkins has started to pin his ears back to avoid the drag and its going to make all the difference. Ok it has nothing to do with his ears, the kids learning at a good rate.
oooooh... another Hopkins hound-dog hopeful... welllll... my bets are always gender neutral, and putting bets up against a women's intuition is always dangerously fun too (giggle)... no one has to drink beer either... there's always applecider, hot chocolate or desert if you wanna up the ante so that your tummy is rewarded all season long (snicker).

The bet has to be kept friendly as we don't want things getting out of hand over a $5 Victory to the winner. Maybe Mike will have to hold the "pot" and oversee the distribution of drinks and deserts -- giggle. I'll just write the play by play, color commentary, race by race.

So, are you saying that you're in for $5 Chelsaroo?! or is the answer still "no way, no shape, no form"??? -- i probably haven't learned my lesson yet, since that reminded me of Bruce Lee's philosophy. How else can one explain your new jacket? I sure can't... very unexpected just like other times... tripping across the improbable... very strange... but somehow it happened... what are the odds??? it's not like it's the only time either... it's like EVERY time. sort of freaky the way the universe works. definitely unexplainable.

Seems like I may have to become a chef and bartender if a little trouble strikes Jr... or Kenny's wrist goes limp... but I don't mind putting a little money where my mouth is. It's not like the guy was 2-seconds off the pace during the testing now is it??? (oh, it is, oh... well maybe he was testing tires eh guys, or maybe he was justing getting a feel for the new Bridgestones)

cha-ching or tao-tae-ching????

:wink:

Just teasing. I don't expect you are a betting person. You'd rather have a sure thing, as would most people in life... i am just that little bit of chaos that floats around to liven things up... uncertainty, silliness and all a little disguise for luck, laff and another small L word... the one we dont see until it's gone away, a shape, a form.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#13 Unread post by High_Side »

QuietMonkey wrote:Of course we could always spread the bets out across the board, team to team or something, Rossi/Edwards, Biaggi/Nicky, etc... :-) (ooops! i am sounding like a card shark)

To spice things up, Highside, we could do something simple to make things more fun during the season: whoever is leading on points during pubnights can buy the other a drink, or a box of smarties. I guess I may have to start drinking Guinness again, when someone else is paying for them :beer:
Sounds like a five dollar bet on the losing contestant would really be a winning proposition. I'll keep it at the $5.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#14 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

[/quote]
Sounds like a five dollar bet on the losing contestant would really be a winning proposition. I'll keep it at the $5.[/quote]

Not sure how a losing contestant can turn into a winning proposition, especially since pubnight pretty much is about buying a drink and one extra is not like buying a keg, but only a celebration and offering for the GP gods :-) but I can see you are not up for more fun. c'est la vie. It's good to see if one where's there heart on there sleeve or if people are just talking words and playing the latest fad. I vote for KR, win or lose, and not based on last weeks test results... I dont mind buying beer to show someone that my support is on Kenny. My vote is because the guy deserves the support he has given Suzuki over the years and I feel he still has what it takes to ride with the best, even up against a team-mate and great up and coming rider like Hopkins. :D

I doubt Chelsaroo will accept the challenge either. And it seemed like such a fun idea. oh well. i'll have to go looking for someone with an empty tummy and/or playful disposition to place bets on the Team Suzuki Showdown :D

I always enjoy learning about people, and you've shown me another part of who you are Highside. We shall see how the GP Circus plays out! yaahooooo...

05max
Regular
Regular

#15 Unread post by 05max »

High_Side wrote:Hopkins will beat Roberts Jr. He consistently has in the past. Roberts has been complaining about everyting since he won the title, while big-eared John quietly got faster...
Big-eared John...hahahahhahaaa

But he will be a force to be reckoned with soon - he very talented, as well as smart and a hard worker - the making of a champion in any sport.
2005 VMAX
1996 FZR600

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#16 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

hmm, you guys really love Hopper. It is cool that he was picked and groomed by John Ulrich, as is our local man Chris Peris, who nailed a 5th at Daytona. Ulrich has a good eye for talent (i.e. Kevin Schwantz).

It will be real cool to see how Capirossi goes, and those 'mericans, Nicky and Colin. If the latest Suzuki is up to par, it will be a real showdown of manufacturers and talent.

05max, i like your choice of bikes, as I used to own a '90 FZR600 (and '88 FZR400) and well, many other Yams. The Vmax is a cool machine to be sure. Unique even after 20 years in production. I am not too fond of the red stripes on the wheels of the Anniversary model, but otherwise a Max is a Max... I'd take BLACK.

Earlier today I looked at an '89 GSXR750, but it wasn't right... after racing an R6 a few years ago, it's tough to go back down the food-chain of sportbikes... even thought the price was right. My mind isn't really into sportbikes on the road anymore... well... i gues that's not quite true, since i am thinking about a bigbore street fighter, but that is just an invitation for trouble which i am trying to avoid....

There are always certain models that stick out in my mind. I may go dualsport, or maybe some cruisery thing ... who knows... i had a great day putting a bunch of things together...

later, GP fans.

05max
Regular
Regular

#17 Unread post by 05max »

QuietMonkey wrote:. I am not too fond of the red stripes on the wheels of the Anniversary model, but otherwise a Max is a Max... I'd take BLACK.
There are no color choices. All VMAXs for a given year are the same color. You can always paint it - it's just 3 pieces that are no bigger than a car door in area and swapping wheels can get you what you want or just powdercoat or paint the stockers. I bought it because I have always wanted it and now I can..............plus it is very much my style. People that know me say it's me........ The FZR is a great bike. It is big enough to run well (a lot of that is the rider) and get good milage and insurance rates - compared to a newer or larger bike. Also if tuned well and with a few mods you will be suprised how good it really is.

I can't wait to get to the race in July......I was watching FASTER on DVD again............damn - Rossi is amazing!
2005 VMAX
1996 FZR600

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#18 Unread post by High_Side »

QuietMonkey wrote: I vote for KR, win or lose, and not based on last weeks test results... I dont mind buying beer to show someone that my support is on Kenny. My vote is because the guy deserves the support he has given Suzuki over the years and I feel he still has what it takes to ride with the best, even up against a team-mate and great up and coming rider like Hopkins. :D
I made my bet based on the past 3 years results,and attitude.... Any time a rookie consistently shows a former champion the way even when they are battling for 12th place, I'll stand up and take notice. When the former champ seems to sign off on effort and the rookie pushes forward, I notice
QuietMonkey wrote: I always enjoy learning about people, and you've shown me another part of who you are Highside.
Making about as much sense as usual....

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#19 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

High_Side wrote:
QuietMonkey wrote: I vote for KR, win or lose, and not based on last weeks test results... I dont mind buying beer to show someone that my support is on Kenny. My vote is because the guy deserves the support he has given Suzuki over the years and I feel he still has what it takes to ride with the best, even up against a team-mate and great up and coming rider like Hopkins. :D
I made my bet based on the past 3 years results,and attitude.... Any time a rookie consistently shows a former champion the way even when they are battling for 12th place, I'll stand up and take notice. When the former champ seems to sign off on effort and the rookie pushes forward, I notice
QuietMonkey wrote: I always enjoy learning about people, and you've shown me another part of who you are Highside.
Making about as much sense as usual....
See how much fun it is :D ---> it's even better when people can't make sense of the things one does. Sensibility is all perspective Highside as are results, and I haven't even dug into quantum physics much here either.

With most new learning, the answers and solutions are not always so easy to see... new ways of learning are never easy Highside... you can choose to zone out or zone in. Yours to chose, yours to lose. Maybe your spreadsheet approach to the past 3 years and the "attitude" gauge you have will work out just fine.

So on with the GPs and I'll ask for Kubaba to give Karma to Kenny :D rather than trust in the value of tabulated historical statistical data from the rational results based information perused in Microsoft Excel :-)

er, um, er, um, er, um.

(laughing at self) :laughing: