Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

What ATV to buy my wife?

#1 Unread post by Toyuzu »

I'll get right to the point: I'm a new resident of the great state of Alaska. That of course presents a learning curve for a new way of life. Unfortunately, I am not going to be here for most of that learning curve. I'm in the Army, and my unit is currently deployed to Iraq. I'm only home for a couple of weeks on R&R leave.

My wife, on the other hand, is suddenly presented with a whole new set of challenges she never had to deal with in California. She has expressed an interest in learning to ride an ATV, and I know they can be a tool even more valuable than a full-size vehicle here. I've seen people using them for EVERYTHING. They probably plow more snow in rural areas than trucks. People commute to work on them, hunt on them, take their families to church (believe it or not, they do!) on them.

I know very little about them though. She's a beginner, so weight and power should be a consideration. It must be four-wheel-drive, and capable of handling a snow plow. Other than that - I'm open to the expertise I've come to expect from this group.

What should I get her? I have a tax return burning the proverbial hole, and I'm determined to give her an ATV before I head back to the sandbox. 8)
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

Yamaha Kodiak 400. I have one and they are as capable as most of the big machines out there. They are also a hellovalot cheaper. Don't go for the lower model Bruin as there is no low-range. I made my choice after riding in the bush with every kind of ATV out there. There wasn't anything much more capable, but they were all more expensive...
Good luck Matt.

Toyuzu

#3 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Thanks Bruce! I am partial to Yamahas, but having so little info about their ATV line, I didn't want to make the wrong choice. I know I can trust you though, so I'll see if I can find the Kodiak 400. My love for Yamaha and your recommendation is reason anough for me to buy. 8)

motofan
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by motofan »

Why would you buy your wife a bike, Who is going to film you if she is riding?

Toyuzu

#5 Unread post by Toyuzu »

motofan wrote:Why would you buy your wife a bike, Who is going to film you if she is riding?
:roll: Okay, youngster - lesson begins: If your wife expresses an interest in something that interests you, DO NOT REST UNTIL YOU HAVE BOUGHT IT FOR HER!!!! Trust me on this. :wink:

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

Toyuzu wrote: :roll: Okay, youngster - lesson begins: If your wife expresses an interest in something that interests you, DO NOT REST UNTIL YOU HAVE BOUGHT IT FOR HER!!!! Trust me on this. :wink:
Too right!!!

Who wants to filmed anyways? I ride for the experiance of riding, not to give someone else something to look at. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Toyuzu

#7 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Okay, I just got back from the Yamaha dealer. We decided on the Big Bear 400. It's the same as the Kodiak, but without the automatic tranny. My wife wants the foot-shift. For 07 Yamaha went to independent rear suspension, and added front and rear electric differential lockers. I think this will be perfect for my wife, and should go pretty much anywhere. I'm sure I'll have to take it out for a test occasionally too. :wink:

Now I'm just waiting for my tax return to arrive so I can go make the down payment. The dealer is currently installing the winch and plow kit.

Here it is if you want to take a peek:
click!

High_Side

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

Nice! The differential lock is something that I wish that I had....not often, but when you need it you really need it. I was thinking that I wanted the semi auto transmission too, until I tried the full auto. I won't ever go back unless it is on a sport quad (where I like my full manual on my Mojave). I'm curious as to why she didn't want the full auto?

Toyuzu

#9 Unread post by Toyuzu »

High_Side wrote: I'm curious as to why she didn't want the full auto?
She wants to get her own street bike someday, and she's thinking the manual shifting on her ATV will help her learn a bit about shifting, albiet without the clutch. I've always favored manual trannies in everything, too so that's probably rubbing off on her a bit.

High_Side

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

Cool.