XT250 or DR-Z400S?

RC Fan
Elite
Elite

XT250 or DR-Z400S?

#1 Unread post by RC Fan »

Hello!

I am very interested in buying a small dual sport to use to commute and maybe do some very light off-roading. I was pretty much stuck on the XT250 (or possibly a leftover XT225), but lots of people recommend the DR-Z400S. I'm only 5'5, so is it feasible or practical to lower the DR-Z? The XT250 is the perfect height as is.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Cathy

First bike: 2007 Bandit 650S
Current bike: 2009 Ducati Monster 696

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

You can lower a DR400 some, but probably not as low as a stock XT is. And lowering it will negate much of what makes the DR's suspension better in the first place. Score one for the XT. It will offroad just as well as a lowered DR.

The DR will run away and hide from the XT in the power department, though. If you plan on doing lots (really lots) of freeway riding, the DR will work better. The XT can and will do freeway speeds, the DR just does it a little more comfortably. If your commute has 30-40 miles of freeway each way, the DR may be a better choice, if you spend more time on surface streets, the XT will do all you want it too.

The XT is cheaper, stone reliable and can always be re-sold if and when you want to upgrade. So all this is why, even though I know nothing about you or how or where you ride, I would say go with the XT..... the 250 over the 225 just for the extra grunt.

That's gotta be worth at least 3 cents..... :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

RC Fan
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by RC Fan »

BuzZz wrote:You can lower a DR400 some, but probably not as low as a stock XT is. And lowering it will negate much of what makes the DR's suspension better in the first place. Score one for the XT. It will offroad just as well as a lowered DR.

The DR will run away and hide from the XT in the power department, though. If you plan on doing lots (really lots) of freeway riding, the DR will work better. The XT can and will do freeway speeds, the DR just does it a little more comfortably. If your commute has 30-40 miles of freeway each way, the DR may be a better choice, if you spend more time on surface streets, the XT will do all you want it too.

The XT is cheaper, stone reliable and can always be re-sold if and when you want to upgrade. So all this is why, even though I know nothing about you or how or where you ride, I would say go with the XT..... the 250 over the 225 just for the extra grunt.

That's gotta be worth at least 3 cents..... :wink:
Thanks! That is precisely the advice I need. There will be a short 5 minute highway stint on the way to work. For longer highway stuff I will take my Bandit.
Cathy

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

Cool. :wink:

What's the 'RC' stand for? Ricky?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

RC Fan
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by RC Fan »

BuzZz wrote:What's the 'RC' stand for? Ricky?
'RC' stands for roller coaster. I love them!
Cathy

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

Hey RC did you buy a DP bike yet?

If not, have you considered the Kawasaki KLX250S? It is about the weight of the XT250 but is liquid cooled. As far as the seat height goes, it's between the XT & the DRZ. The DRZ is sky high and the XT is super low. The KLX will be much better than the XT offroad and almost as good as the DRZ. In fact, if you do a lot of tight technical stuff, the KLX would be better than the DRZ.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BigBearOutlet
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by BigBearOutlet »

I really think the height of the seat breaks the DRZ for ya. BuzZz is right on this, you can always resale the XT and upgrade later if you want.
Big Bear
http://www.bigbearoutlet.com

arvindwilliam
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: XT250 or DR-Z400S?

#8 Unread post by arvindwilliam »

I received a DR200SE in 2001. It has paid for itself several times. this is my daily driver. I received a enoormous enjoyment. If you're not going to go fast with it on the ground is ideal. If you want something to go fast development in the field, get the 400.

Marvin
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Re: XT250 or DR-Z400S?

#9 Unread post by Marvin »

I agree with Mr arvindwillaim, few years back dealer gave me a test ride on a Suzuki DR200SE and it surprized the sh** out of me the power and speed it had.
also I used to own a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S and it was the best bike I ever owned, top speed was 92 mph, handled on the road like a sportsbike, the heavy duty suspension handled the bad roads better than any street bike, it was an excellent commuter bike that was easy on gas, the only downside was the seat was uncomfortable after long rides.

but if you are leaning for the Yamaha 250, I would highly recommend to check out the Suzuki DR200SE as a much better alternative.
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual