Trakmaster knobby slits

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Trakmaster knobby slits

#1 Unread post by HYPERR »

Anyone run Kenda Trakmasters on their DPs? I was pretty satisfied with them as they were wearing pretty well, nowhere as spooky on asphalt as people say, and quite rock steady at 75mph on the super slab. Their performance on the hard packs are as good as a DOT tires gonna get. Not as good on the soft stuff like mud or sugar sand but more than manageable. I was fully intending to replace it with another TM when this one wore out.

Last ride, I was doing a lot of tight technical stuff with lots of rocks, and tree roots. I noticed that there were some small slits at the base of the center knobbies. It obviously did not penetrate the thickness of the tire or the tube but enough depth that I would not risk riding it offroad. On the Kawi board, a couple of guys stated that Kendas are known for that when ridden agresively off road and one member who is a very agressive dirt rider actually sheared off the knobbies off their TMs. :shock: Anyone on this board have any experience with the TMs?

I took advantage of the 97 degree day today and changed my tire in the sun(much easier when the tires and warm and soft). It made the tire change much easier but I almost passed out from the heat. :roll: I decided to go with a top name brand this time. I spooned on a new Michelin AC10 onto my rear rim. I'll see how it goes when I go up the the trails next week. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by paul246 »

My understanding is the Trakmasters' have to be run in carefully for a while on pavement or they will start to chunk.

Let us know how the Michelin works out.

I just mounted a Kenda 270 on the back, my first time doing the whole job myself. Took a while but I got 'er and didn't even pinch the tube :lol:
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by HYPERR »

paul246 wrote:
Let us know how the Michelin works out.
So far the TM seems to be slightly better off road. On pavement they are about the same.
paul246 wrote: I just mounted a Kenda 270 on the back, my first time doing the whole job myself. Took a while but I got 'er and didn't even pinch the tube :lol:
Inflate the tube slightly so it has a little bit of a shape. Then coat the entire tube with baby powder. You will never pinch another tube again.
:win:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS