BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Replacement rubber

#1 Unread post by BuzZz »

The street boys don't know how lucky they have it in reguard to tire replacement. And I know alot of dirt riders ride on tires with less than half the traction they should have (guilty of this myself waaay more than I like to admit). A knobby is basically used up within 8 hours of riding, often less, depending on the terrain you are riding on. It may look fine, but if the edges are not sharp, it's burnt.

So what brands do you all use? Back in the 80's, I used Metzler as they were THE best tire for the widely varying terrain around here. But they went for chit by the 90's and I started useing whatever I could afford (metz's ain't cheap) I found a cheap $100 Chen Shin worked as good as anything, lasted a bit longer than the expensive stuff and I never snake-bit a tube with one. I tryed Maxxis once a few years ago and liked them fine. But when I bought that set, Maxxis was in every dealer, everywhere. They're harder to find now, but still obtainable in these parts if you call around, not as cheap as they used to be though....

So what do you guys ride on?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: Replacement rubber

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

BuzZz wrote:I found a cheap $100 Chen Shin worked as good as anything, lasted a bit longer than the expensive stuff and I never snake-bit a tube with one.
I used to run those my self for the most obvious reason and never found them to be lacking in any way. A cheap tire in good shape(cause I could afford more of them), is way better than an expensive-bald tire......IMO

Ladymx

#3 Unread post by Ladymx »

I use the chen shin dirt bike tirres on the street for winter and the front tire has lasted for four years. The rear tire I have changed once and was well over due. I only tend to go to 80km on them at the most, but they have held up for when I have really needed them too.

I have also used the Chen Shin street tires to go from Arizona to Costa Rica and they held up just fine.

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by emperorjordan »

I got my Dunlop D606s, and they get worn down pretty quick on the pavement, but on the dirt when they were new, they gripped just as well as any "real" knobbie.
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

greengo
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by greengo »

Hope ya don't mind I bring this older post back to the top, but I'm definately in the market for new tires. I'm looking for dual-sport tires that really grip the pavement in corners, tear up any trail I care to run, and long lasting! Ok, I'm dreaming. But really, anyone have an opinion on good all around tires?
--
San Diego
2005 BMW GS Dakar

BuzZz

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

One tire that grips well on pavement and dirt is jsut not gonna happen anytime soon. The reqiurements for each surface are just too different for that. You need lots of sticky rubber on the tarmac, you need stiff knobs projecting themselves into the ground in the dirt. Pavement tires won't penetrate and scoop dirt, and dirt tires will flex around on thier small surface area knobs on pavement. A comprimise will always be there.

Now to answer your question about which ones are best for both..... sorry, can't help you.... no good experiance with them myself. Good luck shopping though. :wink:

XR650 Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by XR650 Rider »

Me And My Friend have been testing different brands. I got a 650 and hes got a yz 250. We are both spinning alot. I like the dunlop I T tires but they are expensive and the wear quickly. Look at the Kenda Carlsbad. Its a directional I T tire. It dont hook up quite as quick as a dunlop or bridgestone but they run about 30 bucks in CA and i got about 800 miles out of it. I think my favorite tire is the Bridgestone I T tires. They last the longest, (i got about 1200 miles out of it) they are reasonable priced and they hook up in alll terrains well. This is just a thought.
"All you will hear is the engine"
The Section 8 Crew
Ride it like you Stole it...
RIDE HARD OR WALK HOME
Rider of the red 2 legged horses...
I be lovin the adrenaline...
Respect your bike and she will respect you...
GIT R DONE!!!
Ride RED

icariz83
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by icariz83 »

I run mainly 752's (Dunlop). I tried a Maxxis but the sidewalls were so stiff that I had to soften the suspension in the back to compensate.

BuzZz

#9 Unread post by BuzZz »

Your bike have an 18" or 19" rear wheel, Dude?

horn23
Rookie
Rookie

Misadventure

#10 Unread post by horn23 »

[quote="High_Side"][/quote]

Well that was a bit messed up... 8)8)
No commercial ads in Signature please -Admin