Dirt Bike Power

Jaymz
Regular
Regular

Dirt Bike Power

#1 Unread post by Jaymz »

Okay so if you followed my other thread looks like a street cycle is out for now for me. I promised my dad I would drop it if when I graduated me and him could take a bike tour across the country to DC (me and him both want to visit but my mom could care less so we never gotten to go) so yea. I was looking at dirt bikes and just wondering for a guy around 300lbs what do I need CC wise? I'm looking basic trail use not motocross kinda stuff so dont need super power but it needs to climb and have decent performance. I figured dirt riding could be a good way to get some basic riding down and curb my desire to ride for some time :mrgreen:

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

Are you going to buy new or used?

Your a big dude, so something in a 350-400cc 4-stroke would probably be a good place to start.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by emperorjordan »

Suzuki DRZ-400. its got lots of power, electric start, and runs and runs and runs with little maintenance, and it can take a beating.
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

Jaymz
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by Jaymz »

I'll check and see what I can find online, looking used. Thanks!

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#5 Unread post by Randy »

Electric start is good.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450

Jaymz
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Jaymz »

I haven't looked since my first browsing but IIRC there isn't a large selection above the 250cc so I probably cant be too specific beyond that hehe. The other thing I will have to figure out is if it would fit in my trunk lol, I'm not sure I am looking for the investment of doing a trailer hitch and trailer deal yet (not to mention I don't think I want a trailer hitch on my car) so I will have to look into that. I bet it would fit (can tie down lid) but my guess is I gotta be careful how it goes in due to the liquids inside hehe.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

Don't even try to put a fullsize dirtbike in any trunk. You will ruin cables, hoses, break off fins and bend exhuasts and bars. And you will damage the trunk as well.

It can be done, I've seen it. But that don't mean it's a good idea. Both the bike and the car will age at an accellerated rate. And around here, you would get nailed with an 'Unsafe Load' ticket, which is not a small fine and could get both vehicles impounded. Buy a small trailer to transport the bike, or buy a pick-up.

Or buy a dual purpose bike and just ride the bike to your off-road area.

A Suzuki DR-350 from the '90's or a Honda XR-400(no street-legal version produced, but some home-made D.S. conversions out there), XR/XL-600(big, heavy bike), Kawasaki KLX-350 might be bikes to look for.

I am going to try moving this topic to the Off-Road forum, where it might fit a little better.... If I can do it, never tryed it before... :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Jaymz
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by Jaymz »

Ah thanks! I am looking potentially for a "old crappy" car to deliver pizza in while at college (dont want to do long term in my nice car and put all the miles on it unecessarily), maybe I will look at old crappy pick ups =D Or the dual purpose, I think where I am headed to spokane there are a lot of trails right outside town and whatnot so I shall look into that!

Thanks,

whitedragond
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#9 Unread post by whitedragond »

BuzZz wrote:Don't even try to put a fullsize dirtbike in any trunk. You will ruin cables, hoses, break off fins and bend exhuasts and bars. And you will damage the trunk as well.
:lol: I don't think I've ever seen anyon do that.

Go w/ the small pickup, even they will carry a bike. I have a S-10 w/ a Suzuki DR-Z400S and angle the front tire into the front left corner and the rear while in the back right. Just enough room to close the tailgate!

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by emperorjordan »

Ive put my DRZ and my friends CR 250 in the back of his 1997 S10..... there is no need to close the tail gate. 2 big bikes like that is a tight fit back there tho, but one will fit easily.
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car