More power, Need more power... More speed, Need more speed!

RenterHunter
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

More power, Need more power... More speed, Need more speed!

#1 Unread post by RenterHunter »

heres the dealio as you can see by my stats i am pretty new here. i ride single track and am riding a KDX 220 and am looking for more power and more speed... ive got a few seasons under my belt but ... i dont know a whole lot about engines.. like almost nothing and i have a bit of cash for new toys to put on it... my dad agreed to pay for most so price isint that important... help me out please! :(
I want a good woman who will challange me mentally not one thats mentally challanged

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Re: More power, Need more power... More speed, Need more spe

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

RenterHunter wrote:heres the dealio as you can see by my stats i am pretty new here. i ride single track and am riding a KDX 220 and am looking for more power and more speed... ive got a few seasons under my belt but ... i dont know a whole lot about engines.. like almost nothing and i have a bit of cash for new toys to put on it... my dad agreed to pay for most so price isint that important... help me out please! :(
KX250. Nuff said. Twitchy little 2 stroker pushing a good 56 HP and 36 ft*lb of torque. Stock.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

RenterHunter
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by RenterHunter »

Huh? are you saying that big enough?
I want a good woman who will challange me mentally not one thats mentally challanged

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

RenterHunter wrote:Huh? are you saying that big enough?
Huh? Did you mean to ask if that bike was big enough? (power-wise, I'm guessing)

Yes it is. In a 220lb bike, 50+ hp is the same power-to-weight ratio(the only number that really counts) as any flagship supersport Literbike.

Your KDX220 is tuned to run more like a fourstroke with the meat of the power smooth and lower down in the rev range. Any 2-stroke motocrosser will feel pipey.... when the power hits, you will know it. I love that, but it makes riding more difficult in tight conditions(like trails). If you want smoother power application, one of the new 4-stroke MXers will be right up your alley. And still have more than enough boost to keep the giggle-factor pegged. :mrgreen:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

RenterHunter
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by RenterHunter »

lmao :laughing: alright alright thanks . i dunno though i think im gunna stick with my bike , i was just kinda curious anyway , i cant imagine how a 4 stroke would handle though because my dad has been riding for 10 years+ in trails and after 3ish seasons i got him beat in single track .. anyway thanks for the help guys

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#6 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

RenterHunter wrote:lmao :laughing: alright alright thanks . i dunno though i think im gunna stick with my bike , i was just kinda curious anyway , i cant imagine how a 4 stroke would handle though because my dad has been riding for 10 years+ in trails and after 3ish seasons i got him beat in single track .. anyway thanks for the help guys
If you want more pep, there's a few things you can do. First off, how old is the bike? If it's 5 years old, consider rebuilding the top-end (gasket kit). Also, add a new pipe, and +3 sprocket in back, high-flow filter, and new tire in back. Little stuff counts. Also, re-seating the valves will help a bit too.
As for that KX250, the thing is so insane there's power EVERYwhere in the rev range. At almost any speed you can snap the throttle wide open and wheelie. Well, as long as the bike doesn't kick out from between your legs completely.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Sharkbait
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Sharkbait »

You should be able to make the KDX more than fast enough for you. That is a really good bike for the trails. I recommend checking out Fredette racing at http://www.frpoffroad.com/ Jeff Fredette has been modifying and racing KDX's for many years. He just completed his 25th 6th days race on one. There should be plenty of tips for increasing the performance of your bike on his site.

If you still need more speed, buy a KTM! :mrgreen:

good old bikes
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1981 Kawasaki KDX 175

#8 Unread post by good old bikes »

I have a KDX 175 when i bought it it had a aftermarket front and rear sprocket and a larger carb. the bike was too fast considering it was my first enduro and it was hard to keep the front tire on the ground so i went back to original and it changed it a lot. to get more speed go with a bigger rear sprocket.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: More power, Need more power... More speed, Need more speed!

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

All great suggestions, tell us how you came along with your decision...
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.