High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Restricting a kids dirt bike

#1 Unread post by High_Side »

Although restricting power goes against everything I stand for, I've recently picked up a small dirt-bike for a song that might be a little to snappy to start the kid off on. It was one of the Chinese Honda rip-offs and it has the 110cc motor in the 70cc-size of bike. Other that lengthening out the throttle cable or rigging up a stop on the throttle, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can slow this kid up while he is learning? I know that when I was that age (or any age for that matter :shock: ) if the power was there, I was using it. :laughing: I've gotta teach him a few skills before I completely cut him lose on this thing....

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

I know that over in the UK they restrict bigger bikes with a couple of bolts on the carbs that prevent them from opening all the way. Basically killing the top end. It's supposedly crazy expensive to get done, but worth next to nothing monetarily. If that makes sense.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Update: I just got it put together and took it for a spin (for those of you picturing this right now....yes it looked damned funny). The electric start fired the little engine up and it idles perfectly right out of the box. The big surprise however is the manual clutch! I'll have to start reading those ebay adds alot closer from now on..... The power doesn't feel like anything he shouldn't be able to handle but that damned reach to the manual clutch lever is the next challenge. Time to get one of the boys at work to fab me something up.....