pre purchase advice on 83 xr500

ubarw
Veteran
Veteran

pre purchase advice on 83 xr500

#1 Unread post by ubarw »

I am trading emails with a guy who has an 83 xr500. His price seems good. This is what his last email said...

"I have not taken it to a shop, but those friends of mine (one worked for a shop in his day) said is sounds like a jet/carb cleaning issue. I bought it 3 years ago, rode for one summer, then it sat for almost 2 years before I started it in October. It took some effort to get it started and once started it ran rough (didn't want to idle). I have not started it since."

Any comments on what you all think it might be, any general comments?

Mucho gracias! :|
Goldwing! OOOH Yah!

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Bad gas and clogged carb jets.

ubarw
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by ubarw »

thanks. I am interested in this bike, and wonder what it would take to rebuild the carb.
Goldwing! OOOH Yah!

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#4 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

ubarw wrote:thanks. I am interested in this bike, and wonder what it would take to rebuild the carb.
Shouldn't be too hard. Also, dirtbikes are fairly straight foward to tear down due to their lack of body work, so any other things that spring up will be easy to get to. What's the price, if you don't mind me asking?
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

ubarw
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by ubarw »

GeoffXR200R wrote:
ubarw wrote:thanks. I am interested in this bike, and wonder what it would take to rebuild the carb.
Shouldn't be too hard. Also, dirtbikes are fairly straight foward to tear down due to their lack of body work, so any other things that spring up will be easy to get to. What's the price, if you don't mind me asking?
He's asking $500 OBO. Seems reasonable to me, just want to make sure I know what I am getting into.
Goldwing! OOOH Yah!