Winter Gloves for the NorthEast?

ElektraSpitfire
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Winter Gloves for the NorthEast?

#1 Unread post by ElektraSpitfire »

Hi fellow ladies,

I am looking for women's gloves that would be good for winter in the northeast.. which gets to be pretty tough on my fingers. Any brand/glove suggestions? A lot of gloves out there say "winter gloves" but I'm not sure if they mean winter in California or winter in New York ;) Any specific name brands/gloves would be appreciated!

Also, if I'm not getting really expensive armored motorcycle gloves, just some normal ones, is there a significant difference between those and some regular snowboarding gloves? It seems to me that they're both made of pretty tough material, but maybe someone knows more specifics.

Thanks!

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by KarateChick »

I have 2 sets of gloves from Teknic and I like them both. Both are reinforced double stitched leather and one has armoured knuckles. They've been pretty warm (only went through 1 cold fall season so far and some nights this spring) and they've kept my hands fairly warm on the cool spring evenings unless I've been out a real long time. They're a good fit cause my hands are quite small. If there are warmer ones, I have not tried them.

I wouldn't go with snowboarding gloves but get m-cycle specific gloves if you are serious about gear. I don't know how good a set of s-b gloves would withstand a road slide when they are made for snow, not pavement. I just know I would not wear my s-b gloves for m-cycling.

Oh yeah - did I say :welcome: yet?
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Most 'winter' motorcycling gloves don't really mean it... they evidently assume that no one actually rides when its below 50 degrees.

The only thing I can recommend is that you get electric gloves if you really do ride in cold weather.

I've got heated handgrips and I do ride in 30 degree weather with a pair of Rev'It winter gloves with Schoeller inner linings. They help but still don't keep my fingertips from frosty after a bit.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have had so many pairs of "so-called" winter gloves and yet my fingers still scream in agony from being frozen.
I will be purchasing heated gloves for next season.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#5 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I was having trouble with my hands getting cold as well. I only wore these once with temps around 30°F on a 25 mile ride but, my hands stayed warm. They are Fox Pipe gloves. They were only $20. The material list for them is;
Outshell: 50% synthetic leather, 30% nylon, 15% neoprene, 5% rubber.
Lining: 100% polyester
Insulation: 65% olefin, 35% polyester.

They are wrist style not gauntlet so, if your jacket doesn't fit tight at the wrist, you'll still get the cold wind blowing up your arms.

ElektraSpitfire
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by ElektraSpitfire »

your hands stayed warm on a 25mi ride in 30F weather, for $20? I don't know whether to be amazed or skeptical, haha! That is absolutely awesome. I'm definitely going to be looking into that til i'm willing to spend the money on electric gloves/socks. Lol. Thanks for all the info (and welcomes!) everyone.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#7 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Just realized that this thread was in the Ladies Lounge. Sorry for the intrusion! :oops:

If you go looking for a cheap pair for now, ask if they have any neoprene gloves in stock. Be sure to look for some with a moisture wicking liner though. Otherwiise, they'll be too warm and very difficult to slide on and off.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

I just chew my tongue and hold the engine at stop lights.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]