Ladies-Looking for cruisers,sat on sportbike, now conflicted

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Ladies-Looking for cruisers,sat on sportbike, now conflicted

#1 Unread post by Shorts »

Today DH and I went down to visit motorcycle shops, just browsing and spending an easy Sunday afternoon out. I was hoping to run into a Honda Rebel or Yamaha Virago, 250ccs. A Honda CBR250RR caught my eye, with it's low seat height, 250cc engine and something that just looked neat to sit on for giggles. As it turned out, I think I ended up starting a fling.

I tucked into the seat very well, I easily stood the bike up flat footed and could move it forward and backward without too much effort. I really felt good about being able to control the bike with my upper legs. And I liked the way I could balance and use my legs and torso to 'hug' the bike for leaning and upper body stability. Basically, it feels like I can control the bike and hold it steady a lot better than I could sitting on a cruiser. While ALL bikes and styles have their pros and cons, I'm almost hesitant to say that I felt better sitting on a sportbike than I did sitting on a cruiser.

I have plenty of researching, thinking, sorting, to do before making any purchase, I'm finding it exhilarating and rather tempting that the CBR250RR felt so 'good'.

Overall, CONs of a sportbike:

- general design is normally top heavier than cruisers
- easy throttle response and twist can make for unexpected trouble and excitement
- nature of the short length and short rake makes for more lighter handling characteristics
- not as comfortable as cruisers for longer riding

The PROS of a sportbike:

- performance oriented brakes, clutch, gears and steering = easier, lighter manipulation input and force needed for operation
- lightweight (the one I was on) and tight turning radius for easier parking lot and low speed control and manuevering
- shaped for rider to hug and control bike with body/legs
- comes with a tach Cheesy

Like I said, this sportbike-as-a-first-motorcycle-option just popped up. I'd like to consider all angles for each style of bike and my challenges. I want to give myself the best chance for riding. And I'm 100% getting a 250cc. I cannot be talked out of it, joked out of it, or criticized out of it. I know my limits and certainly my physical challenges, so being looked at or made fun of isn't new to me. (The challenge posed is a paralyzed left arm w/minimal shoulder and elbow function. I'm addressing that angle, my questions are aimed at the riding characteristics of cruiser vs sport).

Are the learning curves about the same when it comes to either style of bike and the 'average rider'? From all the reading and common sense arguments put forth against a '600cc sportbike as a beginner bike', I certainly respect the damage these bikes can do when not handled properly. I'm afraid I may have psyched myself out. I'm still wondering if the sportbike style itself is right for me regardless of the engine size. I don't want to think that way, especially sitting and moving that CBR250 so easily and how it felt like 'this is possible'. What is a realistic expectation to have with a 250cc sportbike? Looking at the specs, this bike can still perform. I do not want to underestimate the bike. But I do not want to think it is too much. I also don't want some stereotypical bad juju that sportbikes have harvested from idiot-riders to keep me away.

Anyone with input, I definitely want to hear it.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

i checked http://www.honda.co.jp/motor/

i don't see a CBR250 RR on the list.

what are the specs on it?
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

Re: Looking for cruisers, sat on sportbike, now conflicted

#3 Unread post by Mintbread »

Shorts wrote: Anyone with input, I definitely want to hear it.
A bike is only as good as its rider. I have seen blokes on $20,000 sportsbikes that could hardly keep their bike going in a straight line let alone corners and I have seen blokes on cruisers/standards etc that just ride the wheels off them.

You have to ask yourself if you are going to be happy doing the riding you do with the riding position and style of the bike. We have 250rr's all over the place around here and they can go fairly well but they are just lacking in accelleration compared to bigger cc bikes.
I would suggest test riding all the bikes that you like and I am sure you will have no problem deciding which you like more.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Shorts »

Here's a few links I found. It's mainly a JPN bike (which is where I am now), some importing into Australia and various other countries. Sorry no complete list of specs, piecing together information is the story of our life after moving here :lol: Oh, the particular bike I'm looking at is a '90 CBR250RR,

Honda JP

http://www.answers.com/topic/honda-cbr250

http://hondacbr.netfirms.com/cbr-250.htm

Around here, big bikes aren't needed. Most touring through the country is dense city or through narrow mountain roads. For the most part, not like the US with expansive freeways and interstate systems. Expressways (toll roads) are the nicest roads here, speed posted 70-80kph, of course, that gets bumped to about 100kph by most drivers. But tollroads aren't used except for long trips in the truck and the homeward leg of a long trip. There the good legs would be useful to keep up wih the group without gasping for air. Big bikes have a WOW factor here, but they are very expensive and not really necessary. As I mentioned in another thread, anything over 250cc goes through inspection and higher tax. So, JPNs road laws really come into play as well. Several riders brought their bikes from the States, so they are at least 883s on up to 4 digits. DHs bike is a Vulcan 400.

We'll certainly do rides on nice days. The longest so far our riding buddies have gone was out 50kms and back to the big lake. Of course, mountain roads and twisties. While our group is cruisers, I'll be the odd ball out. But what fits me best trumps that.

While the sportbike isn't very comfortable for longer riding as cruisers are, I'm hoping at least my small 5'3" frame gives me a decent chance of not hurting too much.

Like I said, I've got much to think about and consider on my purchase. I've never driven a sportbike or cruiser (passengers on both), only driven dirtbikes. I've sat on a cruiser or two I'm looking at as well as the sportbike. I can't exactly test ride any bikes due to control modifications I need to make before I can ride. And the particular shop we're looking at (and have previously bought from) doesn't allow test rides :?

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#5 Unread post by VermilionX »

i see, i thought they still made those 250 CBR in JP. you were actually looking at an older model.

anyway... good luck to you.

it seems you really liked the CBR250RR ans you've already sat on it and liked it.

anyway... hope it works out for you and that your left hand doesn't give you riding problems.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

Umhm, older model. Is that a functional problem or just uncool?

Of course the left arm is a problem. That's never a surprise. The question is always "how much of". That's why I'm asking you guys for input as riders as far as physically feeling the difference when operating the different bikes.

Yes, I really liked the CBR250RR. But I also really liked the Rebel when I got on it. I guess I liked each differently.

I think I have more control on the CBR where I can have my legs and body in a strong position to manipulate myself and the bike. The more upright position of the Rebel, while comfy, isn't anatomically strong. I'll need strength coming from where ever I can get it since I won't have two good arms.

DH came home and told me he ran our new bike idea past a couple of the other riders. Without explaining to them, the lightbulbs in their heads came on as to why a sportbike might work. I thought that was a good sign.

Aside from what I really "like", I need to be critical to what will function best (read: SAFELY) under my control.

On that note, I think I'd be adding a steering damper for extra stability at speed. While it certainly won't drive the bike straight, it will help me. And I'm sure many will say "a steering damper on a 250? psh, you don't need it". Well, my bike, my call. Maybe it won't ever need to be on the bike, but it adds a little piece of mind. You don't NEED two arms to ride either, but two sure are nice to have huh? :lol:

Thanks for the input those of you who've replied. Any more I'm still all ears.

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by JCS »

Don't worry about Vermi. Nice guy that knows next to nothing about motorcycles. The CBR250 is a very cool bike. I would say if it feels good for you go for it.

For a first bike remember that the plastics can be expensive to replace in a tip over. To me this would be the only drawback compared to a Rebel. I'm not quite sure about the arm thing though. The posture could be an issue for you. You would have to figure that one out.

Are there any more standard type 250s available? These may be easier for you to deal with.

The distances and speeds you are talking about should not be an issue at all for the CBR.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

It always baffles me how women seem to always be directed to cruisers.

I've got a big sport tourer now (BMW R1150R Rockster). Had a little sport tourer before that (f650CS, BMW discontinued it, sigh) LOVE the stance... just enough forward lean to be comfy without weight on my wrists.

Much easier to control the bike... yup. That hugging the tank with my knees.

It seems so awkward to control the bike with feet out in front of your knees.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

ElektraSpitfire
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by ElektraSpitfire »

+1 to Lion_Lady..

I own a Ninja 250 and recently only tried a Honda Rebel for an hour or so at the MSF. It felt really awkward sitting back in the chair and trying to lift my feet up high to shift..I can see how it's more comfortable on a long ride but it's too "laid back" for me. If I wanted to be laid back i'd be in a cage...on my ninja I want to feel fast and powerful and in control...must be a pencil envy thing.. :laughing:

All in all it depends on what you're looking for and what you want to feel on a bike.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Shorts »

I think yall just hit on it: control. I've definitely gotta feel like I can be in control regardless the bike I'm on (even with my bad arm, the rest of me is still physically fit, hell I'm a health and fitness major! :D ).

Standard bikes, there are a lot available depenging on where in JPN you're at. I haven't sat on one yet. I have considered it, but I haven't researched any models in particular. Off hand the ones I've come across have been too tall for me. But I should go back and see what is out there. Who knows, one of those could work just as well. Good call.

The cost of plastics, I have heard that can be a hit to the wallet. I've resigned myself to the fact busted parts will probably be replaced a time or two lol That'll be ok, if I'm still getting up to replace them, that's a good thing :wink: I'm use to replacing parts, which helps ease the pain. I 4wheel and am always working on my trucks. Since getting here, I've decided to leave my truck stock and spend money elsewhere - the motorcycle seemed like a fun 'elsewhere'. Its nice to not have to rush a repair to get a daily driver back, less presssure and frustration.

...pencil envy?? :D

Oh speaking of MSF, this bike will be the one I'll be taking the course on. When stationed overseas, riders are required to provide their own bike. Which works out really great, as I'll have a couple hand control modifications in order to ride. The biggest is moving the clutch over in tandem with the f.brake. The others are relocating switches to the right.

BTW, lion_lady, I love the sig line :clapping: