Ladies-Looking for cruisers,sat on sportbike, now conflicted

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#11 Unread post by ZooTech »

It takes maybe two days to get used to mid or forward controls. After trading my NightHawk for my Streak, I had trouble "finding" the pegs for about the first day, and then a few times on day two. Now, after more than 16k miles, when I try to ride my Buddy's Sportster I'm constantly trying to brake and shift from his highway bars. And, no, I have absolutely zero control issues. So, don't cry for me, Argentina!

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#12 Unread post by sharpmagna »

If I may, I'd like to inject the thread with my experience this past weekend. To set the scenario, I rode up through Skyline Drive in Virginia and after getting about 3800ft, the temperature must have dropped a good 10-15 degrees. Since I started my trip in 70*F temperature I was only equipped with summer weight full finger gloves. Since my hands were freezing, I relegated myself to driving with just my right hand with my left hand near the engine case to warm it up. Now Skyline Drive is very curvy and mountainous so it may be similar terrain to Japan (never been, but seen plenty of Japanese drifting movies :wink: ). I found that you can easily turn and control the bike with just one hand and leaning your body. Right hand turns seemed much easier, but I think that is because you are pressing with your right hand to turn right. Turning left was a bit harder because I had to learn to PULL with my right hand and lean left (Normally I push with my left hand to go left). Now I'm not a big guy at about 150lbs, and I was able to muscle my 550lb Magna around.

I'd get whichever bike you were more comfortable on. If it was the CBR, then get it even if your other riding mates are on cruisers. I used a Rebel in the MSF course and it feels like it was a Standard riding position but if you wanted a more forward sitting position, you can probably change out the handle bars to a more "drag bar" style.

That CBR250 looks like a nice bike. I wish they brought it to the states because I don't like the looks of the Ninja 250 much.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#13 Unread post by Shorts »

sharpmagna wrote: Right hand turns seemed much easier, but I think that is because you are pressing with your right hand to turn right. Turning left was a bit harder because I had to learn to PULL with my right hand and lean left (Normally I push with my left hand to go left).
SCORE! I'm so so happy to hear a "regular rider" ;) experience the mechanics of turning with one hand. Can I pick your brain right quick??

I have a 50cc minibike that I toot around on to figure out general movements and that is exactly what I do to turn. Right is easier, left and tight is a little tougher.

Let me ask you to finish out the process, when you came up out of a left turn where did you get the strength to get your body back up from the left hand lean? Did you use your left arm? Did the bike do most of the work by accelerating out and releasing the pull on the right handle bar? Was it a smooth fluid motion?

I'm just real curious as to the mechanics of the movements when you are at road speeds and real intersections making turns. The most I've done has been at very low speeds, think teens at most, around the small parking lot and streets around my house. The poor little single spd bike only tops out at 30km/h :roll2:

I will be wearing an elbow brace to stabilize my arm in an extended position as well as velcroing a glove and likely braced left wrist to the bar. I'm also anticipating being able to put more weight on that side with my elbow fully supported. Another thing I'm thinking about is that brace will prop my body up if and when I need quick emergency stops so I do not dive to that left side. (another reason I think the CBR will help as my torso is very supported by the tank vertically)

Yall are definitely answering a lot of nagging questions I've had for a long time. Please keep the info coming, yall are truly helping me figure out my toughest concerns. Thanks so much!

On the subject of nonUS imported bikes/vehicles, it really is a shame there are not some of these great models back in the States. I've seen a lot of bikes here that would do great and actually have some demand in the States. Its the same for vehicles. I'm currently driving a small 3.1 turbo diesel in my truck. The 4wheelers/offroaders LOVE small diesels, and again, they are not imported or barely produced in the States (regards to the new Jeep Liberty diesel that came out). When we leave I'll miss having these great machines at my fingertips.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#14 Unread post by dr_bar »

VermilionX wrote:i checked http://www.honda.co.jp/motor/

i don't see a CBR250 RR on the list.

what are the specs on it?
These are from a '99 but I'm willing to bet they are close to the '90.

http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/honda/cbr250rr99.htm

Anybody have a clue as to the conversion of PS to HP

40PS/14,500rpm ???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#15 Unread post by VermilionX »

dr_bar wrote: These are from a '99 but I'm willing to bet they are close to the '90.

40PS/14,500rpm ???
WOW! :shock:

an I4 250cc bike... that's cool! even cooler than the Suzuki RGV250.

i'd like to ride one. :D
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#16 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Shorts wrote:Let me ask you to finish out the process, when you came up out of a left turn where did you get the strength to get your body back up from the left hand lean? Did you use your left arm? Did the bike do most of the work by accelerating out and releasing the pull on the right handle bar? Was it a smooth fluid motion?

I'm just real curious as to the mechanics of the movements when you are at road speeds and real intersections making turns. The most I've done has been at very low speeds, think teens at most, around the small parking lot and streets around my house. The poor little single spd bike only tops out at 30km/h :roll2:
Like you said, I used the speed of the bike to straighten the wheel. To be honest, I didn't really think about it it just happened and I went with it. It is pretty much the same concept of a car coming around a turn. The wheels want to come straight again, no sense in fighting natural physics. Now I would hate to ride that way during slow tight turns because you'll have to use your upper body strength to do the turns. I think in slow tight turns you'll probably have more problems with turning right because you do not need to countersteer for slow turns. For slow tight turns you'll probably have to counter balance (move your bum to the left of the seat and lean) your weight to the left.

Have you given thought in the event you drop your bike how you'd get it back up? Not to wish bad things upon you, but it does happen. Hell I dropped my bike on my lawn while maneuvering it around :oops: Now I've seen the videos where the little old lady picks up a fully dressed touring bike, so it is doable but your circumstances may require some forethought.

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#17 Unread post by sharpmagna »

dr_bar wrote:
VermilionX wrote:i checked http://www.honda.co.jp/motor/

i don't see a CBR250 RR on the list.

what are the specs on it?
These are from a '99 but I'm willing to bet they are close to the '90.

40PS/14,500rpm ???
Check this website: http://home.flash.net/~lorint/lorin/convert.htm

Almost 40HP. I'd ride it!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#18 Unread post by Shorts »

Like you said, I used the speed of the bike to straighten the wheel. To be honest, I didn't really think about it it just happened and I went with it. It is pretty much the same concept of a car coming around a turn. The wheels want to come straight again, no sense in fighting natural physics. Now I would hate to ride that way during slow tight turns because you'll have to use your upper body strength to do the turns. I think in slow tight turns you'll probably have more problems with turning right because you do not need to countersteer for slow turns. For slow tight turns you'll probably have to counter balance (move your bum to the left of the seat and lean) your weight to the left.

Have you given thought in the event you drop your bike how you'd get it back up? Not to wish bad things upon you, but it does happen. Hell I dropped my bike on my lawn while maneuvering it around :oops: Now I've seen the videos where the little old lady picks up a fully dressed touring bike, so it is doable but your circumstances may require some forethought.
Gotcha. I'll really work on lowspeed balance and coordination. I think that will definitely improve with much parking lot practice and basic stuff. If I can get to the point of, like you said, not even thinking about it, that muscle memory and motorskill and balance will kick in. I just need to start off with proper technique.

I have given a little thought to how I'm going to pick up the bike. Don't worry, you're not wishing any bad juju, just being realistic and prepared :righton: Fist thoughts standing facing the downed biked, on the saddle side, and bending down getting my hands under the tank (or somewhere not too hot) and seeing if I can just power it up from my knees. Another version is positioning the saddle side with my back to the seat and knees bent and trying to muscle it up that way (as if pushing a car by leaning backards on the bumper when you're out of gas).

I'll definitely lay it down on grass to practice to see what works. If I need to get ingenius, I'll carry some tie down straps or something of the sort that I'll fashion as a harness or similar, that I can strap to a high point on the bike and then pull to right it.

Check out www.goobike.com I suggest you run it through Google search so you can get the site translated. You can look through all the bikes here in JPN. goobike.com is sorta like a big motorcycle online autotrader site.

Yes, the CBR250RR is a nice little bike. They were originally built for 45HP but JPN laws eventually detuned it to 40HP. You can still get a 40HP bike back up though.

From hondacbr.netfirms.com site (click on the link, itwas a grande pic in img tags):
http://hondacbr.netfirms.com/cbr250/cbr250-007-1600.jpg

The other I was looking for is an FZR250R. Unfortunately, I have only run into one FZR, and it was a customer's bike going into the shop for maintenance/work. I'm not going to pursue that as I think the CBR is plenty.

250ccbikes.com

The other 250s around is the GPX250RII or GPX250R, which is the JPN version of the Ninja 250R. The ZZR250 is around, but I'm not real interested in it. I like the GPX but it looks to be a little to tall for me. I haven't sat on one yet. There are two very well priced at the shop, but they were pretty crammed in behind other bikes so I didn't sit on them yet.

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#19 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I'm not sure if you've looked already, but maybe there is a forum out there with "disabled" riders who can shed their experiences. I'm always suprised what the human body is capable of. I play paintball actively and there is a guy on the field with a partially amputated arm (at the elbow) and he is right in the mix with everyon else.

The second technique you mentioned (walking the bike up backwards) is probably what I'd suggest. It is less strain on your lower back and you don't want to throw that out too :laughing:

If you don't mind answering, I'm just curious how your hand controls will be setup? You mentioned moving the clutch control to the right handlebars. Won't that make it difficult to start off in 1st on an incline? I guess you could use your rear brake, but some scenarios make it hard to be on just one foot balancing the bike.

I'd stick to your first pick of the CBR. I looked online and the seat height is a bit more than 28". The Ninja 250 model is about 29.5" I sat on one at the MSF course but I had to tip toe it (Yes I'm inseam challenged, about your height actually) and I wasn't comfortable on it so I chose the Rebel 250.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#20 Unread post by Shorts »

You know, I have found the DRA site you speak of :D The archives, links and photos were very helpful and actually gave me a boost that I wasn't completely off my rocker. The downside to the site is that it is very slow, as in no action. 'Fast' is one post per day, so not a lot of interaction and feedback. I still do as many of the activities as I always could - I hate being on the sidelines watching everyone else have. I play basketball, workout regularly, go shooting and do a little gunsmith work, some leatherwork, work on our trucks, so, I'm trying to do what I can. Sure the ways I do things are kinda eccentric, but it gets the job done and the finished product isn't bad.

Most the ideas I'm using I'm using come from DRA (as well as some UK sites, NABD). Some come from my experience riding my bicycle. I will move the clutch lever to the right under the brake lever. It'll take some coordination to figure out starts and stops, so I'll be spending a lot of time in the parking lot with any scenarios I can think up. If it turns out I'm really having trouble with controls I can work through, I'll make another adjustment somewhere. Maybe go to a thumb lever instead of a tandem. Whether its clutch or brake will depend on how my coodination goes. I'll need to move the switches over to the right as well. That'll just take a little looking at before I can get it just right. I shouldn't need to mess with linking the brakes at all. But the option is there.

About picking up the bike, common sense and my husband kicked in, "You know sweetie, 99.9% chances are I'm going to be with you when you're riding so I could help if you needed." .....oh yeah. But, 100% my stubborn hard headedness will tell him to leave it until I've had my fill and admit defeat. So, I'll always take first, second and third shots at the getting the bike up :frusty: :mrgreen: