Ladies - My Woman's first time

TeamONEinc
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by TeamONEinc »

In all reality, I know of no experienced riders small enough to fit on the back. I am 6'3 225lbs and all of my ridin buddies are around my size. I don't know any female riders at all.

We live in a nice neighborhood complex which has a few loops of a few miles...no stop lights...just stop signs and normal neighborhood traffic. The speedlimit does not exceed 40mph.

Do you think it would be wise if I did that? I didn't plan on taking her on the busy streets/freeway yet anyway until I got comfortable with her on. She is 5'1 115lbs so she isn't that much weight in consideration of some other women I have been with.

I will be sure to go over all of these tips you have shown me and make sure she understands the importance of understanding them before we ride.

I ride very safe and defensively and don't do anything stupid that would jeopardize my health and safety...let alone hers...but I do understand the importance of her following the directions you give me because she could be the one at fault for my first drop.
2003 Yamaha R6.

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum

#12 Unread post by bok »

do any of your buddies ride a cruiser or bike with a back rest that you could borrow to take her for her first couple rides?

i found the back rest helped a lot when i took Sarisha for her first few rides since she didn't have to worry about hanging on, falling off or anything like that.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

TeamONEinc
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by TeamONEinc »

Unfortunately Bok, nope. All of em have sportbikes like me. I will make her read these forums and see if she feels like she can do all of the instructions.
2003 Yamaha R6.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#14 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Keep in mind that some women just can not get comfortable with the fact that traffic is RIGHT THERE. For some, the whole concept of NOT having a cage around them is just too unnerving to ever get used to.

If you can make the rest of the experience feel 'safe' you'll have a leg up on that other fear.

Keep that first ride VERY short... leave her thinking about more, instead of 'when does this stop?'

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#15 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Lion_Lady wrote:
Keep that first ride VERY short... leave her thinking about more, instead of 'when does this stop?'

Pam
+1

Henriettaah
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by Henriettaah »

I don't mean to be ignorant, but if she is frightened, why is she contemplating getting on the back of your bike? Who wants this to happen - you, or her?

RNrider
Regular
Regular

Re: My Woman's first time

#17 Unread post by RNrider »

Lion_Lady wrote:
TeamONEinc wrote:I just bought her a helmet, gloves, and jacket....I am getting ready to take her on her first ever motorcycle ride and I know she is terrified....do you have any tips on what I should tell her, how to hold on, etc? I have never ridden with any passenger...let alone one who is the mother of my child and is terrified of bikes.

I have 2003 Yamaha R6.
DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T make your wife your first pillion.

Plain and simple. Any rider's first pillion really should be another motorcyclist. They know what NOT to do (lean or shift weight in the middle of a turn, etc.)

YOU need to get your skills up to speed before you risk someone else's safety. Your bike will handle differently, brake differently, etc. etc. You need to get a good handle on those differences before you take a never ridden passenger. Especially if you hope to make it a repeat performance.

If you "must," take her then make it very short and end on a positive note. Just a putt around a nearby parking lot or empty business park.

She really should NOT hold on to you, but onto grab rails next to the seat. If you should brake suddenly, she'll shove you up onto your tank (and you could lose control) unless she is hanging on to the motorcycle, instead of you.

She needs to understand two things above all: Don't shift her weight suddenly, especially when going slowly. And look over your INSIDE shoulder in turns (this will help ensure that she doesn't try to keep the bike upright in a turn and end up dumping you both.)

I've had both my children on the back of my bike. My 14 year old son, who is a great bicyclist, is a terrible passenger because he fidgets so badly and so regularly I can't stay focused on the road. My 16 year old daughter is a DREAM! She keeps movement to a minimum and I hardly know she's there.

Check out this link: http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp Read #197

I was the first pasanger on my husbands bike. (I 'd never riden before ) He just had me read what I was and was not supposed to do. We took several small rides and then had a nice day trip. IF she trusts you and and you trust her to do what she is supposed to do, it should be fine. THe only problem I had was remembering not to grab onto his shoulders. It took a few times of him reminding me. Just have gear and practice.

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#18 Unread post by Loonette »

Henriettaah wrote:I don't mean to be ignorant, but if she is frightened, why is she contemplating getting on the back of your bike? Who wants this to happen - you, or her?
Hey, I was just thinking the same thing. Never mind that she's not a rider herself (my mom was my first passenger, and she didn't need to be a motorcyclist to understand my passenger instructions for her). But if my passenger were "terrified of bikes", I wouldn't want them anywhere near my bike. They're just the type of person to panic and cause a crash - no matter what you tell them before the ride.

If she's not into it, then maybe just let it be and enjoy your alone time.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600