Ladies - Well its started...

KurtBlewByU2
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Ladies - Well its started...

#1 Unread post by KurtBlewByU2 »

My mom found a Honda Rebel 250 on Craigslist and made my dad go to Denver to look at it. This is such a strange thing for both he and I because we were the ones having to drag her to the MSF course and now she's been foaming at the mouth to find herself a bike. She kept saying after the course, "I can't believe I passed!"

The Rebel came home with Dad...its an '86 with 1650 miles on it, looks like it came off the showroom floor so she's scared to death she's gonna drop it. He got it for $1100...it had been in the guy's garage for a year and a half and never been ridden since he bought it. It fired right up though. Mom was sitting on it in the back of the truck before my dad had a chance to unload it, apparently she was standing in the middle of the road looking for his truck. Dad's freaked cuz she's NEVER looked down the road for either of us LOL

Anyways, I've been told that I MAY possibly ride it LOL....I'm 20 BTW....and so now I'm bike shopping even more. I want a Buell Blast, which was brought home to me even more now that I've sat on her bike and it feels way too small for me. I'm only an inch taller than her but I must have a longer inseam because I can handle a much bigger bike. Dad had me sitting on a 750 at a dealership that I could hold up and keep my feet flat with no probs. Still holding out for the Buell tho.... :laughing:

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself a little more to you all, and let you know that the bike bug has bitten our family. :mrgreen:

Amanda
Last edited by KurtBlewByU2 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Welcome Amanda! The bike bug bit my family back in January, it had been dormant for a while but now it's in full force! Happy shopping for the bike!

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

Welcome aboard! The world of biking is a fabulous one. Enjoy, and ride safe.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by KarateChick »

Kewl! You got everyone involved now! :) Have fun shopping for your ride and your dad's ride. Be sure to check out all those sticky notes about beginner bikes etc at the beginning of each of the sections to get lots more info.

Oh - and I assume everyone passed the course so Congrats!
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by rnr262 »

How exciting for everyone! I hope you find your Blast soon.

I ride a Rebel to work daily. It's a great bike, and they're pretty bulletproof. I hope your Mom loves it! Con her into letting your practice on it so you'll be ready to take off on yours.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

KurtBlewByU2
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by KurtBlewByU2 »

Thanks guys! Mom's already been out and about on the Rebel. I can ride it too, just she's pretty posessive already LOL

Yeah, we all passed the MSF...had a lot of fun, and our intructors were fabulous! Definitely would go back if they were teaching again.

smiles
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by smiles »

That's awesome :D! I started riding dirt bikes around 12 or 13, mom followed suit a year or two later and we had a blast together. She stopped riding for a couple of reasons which is a shame really 'cause now we've lost that commonality :( . I hope you guys have better luck than I did. AND BE SAFE!!!
smiles

jmmcadoo
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by jmmcadoo »

At 20 years old and 1650 miles it's been sitting for more than one year! I suggest you get to a MC mechanic to have it gone over before she gets it out and rides very much. Chances are that anything on or in the bike that is made of rubber has deterioriated. That old gas in it has probably gone bad too.

Good luck

Joe
Joe
1995 Kawasaki VN750

KurtBlewByU2
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by KurtBlewByU2 »

LOL thanks for the advice...my dad checked it over and took it for a ride before he bought it. The guy he bought it from had originally brought it home planning to learn to ride and that's all that happened. He started it once or twice a month, but all it did was sit in the garage and look pretty. The rubber is good, it runs like a top and it's been getting quite a workout the last couple weeks. Mom's put a couple hundred miles on it already just going to town and the post office -- her poor station wagon sits at home and looks lonesome now. :laughing: Dad likes it because when she goes garage sale-ing she can't bring home anything bigger than the saddlebags. :mrgreen:

Smiles, that's neat that you and your mom got to ride together. I think my mom and I are too much alike, because we don't always get along that well. I already want a bigger bike and she's happy as a clam on the Rebel. Dad is telling her how he wants to go on a roadtrip...I'll have a bigger bike by then that she could ride if I get tired, and he's planning on having her riding behind him, and she's insisting she doesn't want to ride with him, she wants her OWN bike!! Both my dad and I are still in shock because we never expected her to like it so much...she's always been the most cautious of us three.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

How old is your Mom? Some of us don't find our "fun" until later in life.

Maybe she is one of them.