dual sport capabilities?

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#11 Unread post by Gadjet »

You're right Geoff, about the stock tires on the KLR being 'less than ideal' in mud.

I found that they were actually really good in hardpack and light sand, and did reasonably well on pavement.

I ran a Maxxis C6006 50/50 tire for a short period of time (<2000km) and found it to be really good on gravel and handled exceptionally well on pavement (for a knobby tire), but it absolutely sucked in loose sand and dirt - the only time I've really come close to going down in the dirt was with this tire, and that was due to it hooking up on alternate sides coming out of a ditch - threw the bike sideways when I crested the top.

I'm currently running Kenda K761 tires front and rear on my KLR, and I love them. they are more purely a street tire, but the rear can handle light sand and dirt relatively well, but gets a bit squirrely on gravel roads. I don't know how the front will do, as the last time I ran a 761 rear I still had the stock dunlop front tire on the bike (18000km and finally decided to change it out - still has about 1000km of life left in it at least)

As for the KLR being top heavy and hard to handle (or pick up), that's a load of crap - mostly

Yes, it can be top heavy when the tank is full, but it certainly isn't hard to manage. The wide bars make it very easy to control the bike, whether you are moving through traffic in town or cruising down a rough trail. I'm not a very big guy (5'8", 150lbs) and I have no problem handling this bike. Did I mention that I had never ridden any kind of dirt bike before I got my KLR a year ago?

The bike is very easy to pick up, if you know how to do it. I'm not a very strong guy by any means, but I can pick my bike up in under 10 seconds without breaking a sweat.

So can my girlfriend.

As a full on trailbike, I wouldn't choose the KLR, but if you are looking to go blasting along fireroads or through similar places, it really is a good solid bike that can take a beating.

Check out the KLR specific forums at http://www.klr650.net for more knowledge about the venerable KLR than you can shake a stick at.

definitely check out the ride videos there as well, for some truly amazing footage of just what the KLR650 is capable of.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#12 Unread post by BuzZz »

MotoF150 wrote:Mr Buzz he's looking for a street legal dual sport bike, KTM only makes a 950 that costs $12K, maybe you should read the question he asks before you insert ur foot in ur mouth
http://www.bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=23039

http://www.bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=23041

What's that Nancy? You have to speak up, I can't hear you with your head shoved up your azz.

If you can bring yourself to buy used (I realize this is likely beneath you, but the O.P. may not have the same hang-up) the 400, 450, 520/525 RXC's are awesome offroad bikes that are also street legal.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#13 Unread post by Jamers! »

BuzZz wrote:
If you can bring yourself to buy used (I realize this is likely beneath you, but the O.P. may not have the same hang-up) the 400, 450, 520/525 RXC's are awesome offroad bikes that are also street legal.

the OP would love to buy new, just cant :), then agian not having to deal with break in procedures and comprehensive insurance is a plus to me :)

JWF
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#14 Unread post by BuzZz »

Then a used RXC is a definate option. Quality bikes, built with top-shelf parts and far ahead of thier time in the dual sport realm. And used they will be a bit more than a comparable Japanese bike of the same ear, but the difference will be less than what is buying either bike new.

The only problem is they ain't as easy to find as japanese D/S's.... less bikes sold at the time, and those what got 'em, tend to want to keep 'em. :?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#15 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

JWF505 wrote:the OP would love to buy new, just cant :), then agian not having to deal with break in procedures and comprehensive insurance is a plus to me :)

JWF
Kawasaki Good Times Credit Card (the kwak financing bs) doesn't even require insurance to purchase a bike. Just an FYI.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#16 Unread post by Jamers! »

GeoffEX650R wrote:
JWF505 wrote:the OP would love to buy new, just cant :), then agian not having to deal with break in procedures and comprehensive insurance is a plus to me :)

JWF
Kawasaki Good Times Credit Card (the kwak financing bs) doesn't even require insurance to purchase a bike. Just an FYI.

true, but if you finance it, which i probably would have to, you would need comprehensive insurance because you do not own it.

JWF
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#17 Unread post by MotoF150 »

If you do own a Suzuki DRZ400 you will be respected by the serious off road dirt bike riders, its the only true dirt bike thats street legal you can buy. Chop the back fender and install street legal knobbies and it looks like a motocrosser. Another bike is the new Kawasaki 250 thats street legal, I seen one in action and I was impressed, except for the rattling rear fender that hangs down low.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#18 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

JWF505 wrote:
GeoffEX650R wrote:

JWF

true, but if you finance it, which i probably would have to, you would need comprehensive insurance because you do not own it.

JWF
Nope. I financed my bike with kawa. I have state mins. No comp/collision either. And it's ridden.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#19 Unread post by NorthernPete »

the only time you should need full coverage for insurance would be if you were leasing. financing they shouldnt care....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Big B

#20 Unread post by Big B »

NorthernPete wrote:the only time you should need full coverage for insurance would be if you were leasing. financing they shouldnt care....
depends where you are, in wisconsin it's required if you're financing.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!