The new BMW R 1200 R Motorcycle

Daily Motorcycle News has moved Here

Do you like what BMW has done with the R 1200 R?

Definately
63%
Somewhat
25%
Neutral
13%
Not really
No votes
Definately Not
No votes

Total votes: 8

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

07/06/2006 - BMW Motorcycle Press Release

See all 10 Photos and 6 pages of information in our 2007 BMW Motorcycle Model Guide: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/2007models.htm

Introducing the new R 1200 R, BMW Motorrad is continuing a long tradition in the production of roadster motorcycles and is proudly presenting a worthy successor to the very successful R 1150 R.

With sales of the R 1150 R and R 850 R amounting to almost 60,000 units since 2001, there is obviously great demand for a motorcycle in classic design combining unique character with timeless elegance. It is equally obvious that the outstanding all-round qualities of the Roadster have contributed to the great success of this type of motorcycle in the market and will be borne out even more significantly in future by the R 1200 R. Indeed, this new Roadster takes up the general trend towards enhanced dynamics without neglecting the strengths of the basic concept, combining a significantly higher standard of agility with excellent all-round touring qualities.

The 1,200-cc power unit develops 80 kW/109 hp and thus exceeds the output of the former engine by almost 28%. This flat-twin power unit comes with the same level of development already boasted in the R 1200 RT, with the oil cooler on the new Roadster now fitted behind the wheel fork. The rear section of the tubular spaceframe has been specially developed for the Roadster, helping to give the entire rear end a light and nimble appearance and reducing the overall weight of the machine. Dry weight of BMW Motorrad's new R 1200 R all-rounder is therefore just 198 kg or 437 lb. In road trim and with a full tank, in turn, the new machine also remains very light at just 223 kg or 492 lb, much lighter than other four-cylinders in this market segment.

Benefiting from the most advanced technologies, the Roadster sets new standards in the market, once again underlining BMW's claim to leadership in road safety. And for the first time the new model features the new generation of BMW Motorrad Integral ABS, which may be combined as an option with ASC anti-spin control from 2007. TPC tyre pressure control warning the rider of a loss of pressure also while riding is currently being developed as a further feature
for superior safety.

Last but certainly not least, the particularly wide range of optional extras and special equipment allows the customer to personalise the design and features of this classic all-rounder.

The most significant features of the new R 1200 R at a glance:
• Excellent all-round qualities.
• Air-cooled flat-twin 1,170-cc power unit with balance shaft.
• Maximum output up almost 28% over the former model to 80 kW/109 hp at 7,500 rpm.
• Maximum torque up almost 17% over the R 1150 R to 115 Nm/85 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm.
• BMS-K electronic engine management with dual ignition, anti-knock control, oxygen sensor, and fully controlled three-way catalytic converter.
• Light and stable, two-piece tubular steel frame.
• Stiff Telelever with sensitive response and a high standard of steering precision.
• Excellent handling, supreme directional stability.
• EVO Paralever with light drive shaft.
• ESA Electronic Suspension Adjustment as an option.
• Dry weight 198 kg/437 lb, overall weight with full tank in road trim 223 kg/492lb.
• High-performance brake system.
• New BMW Motorrad Integral ABS with automatic stability control ASC (both available as an option).
• Dynamic, modern but timeless design.
• Particularly wide range of accessories.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Probably about the only Beemer that doesn't turn me off style-wise. :D
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Gummiente wrote:Probably about the only Beemer that doesn't turn me off style-wise. :D

It is a really nice looking naked motorcycle. Can't wait to see it in real life. :D

Mike.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I just noticed, its only 437 lb dry. Wow, 1170cc and 437 lb?? My 650cc naked bike weighs in at 500lbs, and my wife's naked 400cc at 400lbs! Way to go BMW.

Mike.

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by rapidblue »

totalmotorcycle wrote: and my wife's naked 400cc at 400lbs!
when I read that the first time, I laughed hard, I seemed to have missed the first set of number.. :laughing: :laughing:

anywho, that bike is sexy. I'd love to have one, too bad BMWs are so expensive
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by TechTMW »

The latest RAD in a long line of BMW boxer twins starting in 1923 with the R32. Boxer engine, shaft drive, and separate longitudinally mounted transmission - all traditions upheld to this day with the latest offering by BMW.

What I find Interesting is that BMW was the first manufacturer to use Telescopic forks (in 1935.) now, that's certainly changed w/ the Telelever front suspension being featured on most new BMW's.

Do you guys think BMW are starting another trend, or do you think other manufacturers will continue on w/ Telescopic fork technology??
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

TechTMW wrote:Do you guys think BMW are starting another trend, .....
One has to look no further than at competition bikes to find the answer: No. Even BMW will revert to "old school forks" when performance is an issue (HP2 and the BMW G.P.. bike spy pics that are floating around). I really think that this proves that it is marketing and nothing else....

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by TechTMW »

Dunno ... You might be Right. But that's really scary considering the handling of the bike improves exponentially w/ a telelever (Or similar) front chassis, because the geometry of the bike remains stable under braking (No nosedives) w/ such a setup.

The Market is a funny place man. :|
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)