Mesh Armoured Jackets

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#11 Unread post by kabob983 »

+1 on the Tour Master/Cortech stuff. Not flashy, but very well made (IMHO). Their HRX Jacket/Pants is (supposedly) protective enough for track days (as we had a guy wearing it for the one two weeks ago and they OK'd it). A lil' more expensive (about $200 USD) than other mesh products though.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

avoidalliteration wrote:I use the Tourmaster Intake Jacket and it feels great while moving...and not horribly hot when sitting still at a light. Like Sweet Tooth mentioned, it actually does help keep the sun off of you, so it almost balances out having long sleeves. I only get slightly sweaty where the CE armor covers the body (i.e. elbow, shoulders and back). Somebody mentioned wearing a wet t-shirt underneath, but I haven't tried that yet... :)
Yup wet t-shirt is like having air conditioner... also helps to stick your helmet in the ice chest while at rest stops. As soon as you get to a gas station, put your helmet in those big freezers that store the ice bags. By the time you gas up and stuff it'll be nice and cool. Keeps your head cool for a while after you're back on the road.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

DieMonkeys
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2015/Kawasaki/Versys 650 LT

#13 Unread post by DieMonkeys »

Sweet Tooth wrote:
avoidalliteration wrote:I use the Tourmaster Intake Jacket and it feels great while moving...and not horribly hot when sitting still at a light. Like Sweet Tooth mentioned, it actually does help keep the sun off of you, so it almost balances out having long sleeves. I only get slightly sweaty where the CE armor covers the body (i.e. elbow, shoulders and back). Somebody mentioned wearing a wet t-shirt underneath, but I haven't tried that yet... :)
Yup wet t-shirt is like having air conditioner... also helps to stick your helmet in the ice chest while at rest stops. As soon as you get to a gas station, put your helmet in those big freezers that store the ice bags. By the time you gas up and stuff it'll be nice and cool. Keeps your head cool for a while after you're back on the road.
So long and nobody sees it then decides to just trash it and throw it on the ground because it's getting in the way of their precious ice.
[img]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/c/f/8cfad8ebc281805945b49541a1f00d48.gif[/img]
1980 Suzuki GS550E "Miranda" (Retired)
1986 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC "Valarie"

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#14 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

DieMonkeys wrote:
Sweet Tooth wrote:
So long and nobody sees it then decides to just trash it and throw it on the ground because it's getting in the way of their precious ice.
So have a riding buddy keep an eye on it. Unless your alone, then just dont do it.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#15 Unread post by rapidblue »

I have a alpinestars t-venom mesh jacket and I love it. It has a removable lining. The jacket witht he lining is nice and warm and doesn't let air through really. Without the lining, it lets ari flow through very nicely. It's even cold some mornings.

Fairly cheap as well.
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#16 Unread post by -Holiday »

i have the joe rocket rio jacket for when its really hot (like not) and I like it. the only thing that would make it more comfortable is if it was white.
Im sure its not the protection of leather (even though it does have leather arms) but it is much better then nothing, and the closest i will go to wearing no protection.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#17 Unread post by kabob983 »

avoidalliteration wrote:Somebody mentioned wearing a wet t-shirt underneath, but I haven't tried that yet... :)
That seems like it'd be tremendously uncomfortable. I hate the feeling of a we tee shirt on my dry skin (or wet skin for that matter). Maybe I'm just odd though.

I guess if you try that just make sure the shirt isn't white!

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

icariz83
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by icariz83 »

For those that have had all 3:

Are textile jackets just as hot as leather or just as cool as mesh or a nice in-between temperature?
Current Toys:06 Daytona 675, 06 Sportsman 800
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Icariz83/misc%20pics/bronco1.gif[/img]

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#19 Unread post by kabob983 »

In between. Mesh and textile are essentially the same thing except that mesh lets lots of air run through the jacket/pants, while textile generally does not let as much through. Standing still mesh and textile are closer together coolness-wise, but when moving or when the wind is blowing mesh will be much cooler. Leather, even perforated, is hotter than both (unless it's one heck of a perforated jacket)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#20 Unread post by JC Viper »

icariz83 wrote:For those that have had all 3:

Are textile jackets just as hot as leather or just as cool as mesh or a nice in-between temperature?
That depends because some of the textiles (regular) have different fabric weight and thus differs. when it comes to temps. My Kilamanjaro II is pretty good with the vents opened, sure beats the Teknic jacket in heat but it has less fabric strength for those road rubbings. Still gets much warmer than a good mesh jacket.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.