Indian Motorcycle Company Back in Business has New Home

Daily Motorcycle News has moved Here

Is the 3rd time the charm for Indian Motorcycle?

It will be a Home Run
7%
Bases are loaded and we'll see...
57%
Struck Out
37%

Total votes: 30

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#11 Unread post by High_Side »

The last re-birth Indians were nothing more than jobber Harley parts assembled with valenced fenders and a 50% premium over a properly engineered and constructed Harley. Their first engine of their own design never saw the light of day, and thus was never proven to be anything worthy of owning. So I just have to ask WHY would anyone buy one for anything other than the name? Help pull me from under my rock and explain to me what I am missing......

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:The last re-birth Indians were nothing more than jobber Harley parts assembled with valenced fenders and a 50% premium over a properly engineered and constructed Harley. Their first engine of their own design never saw the light of day, and thus was never proven to be anything worthy of owning. So I just have to ask WHY would anyone buy one for anything other than the name? Help pull me from under my rock and explain to me what I am missing......
I do agree with you that the first models were indeed more of a customized Harley-Davidson, but as the company started evolving they wanted to get away from that and start making Indian motorcycles, not Harley-Customs. The Powerplus 100 engine is/was their own design and they started making all their own parts for their bikes, BUT that was 2002 and doom and gloom was just around the corner. It was only in 2002/03 that Indian's spark was catching a flame that could ignite the nation. Unfortunately a $1,000,000 investor got nervous and pulled on them at the worst time possible (when they were tooling the 2003 line up) and that was all she wrote. 2003 was going to have even more models in the line up.

Mike
Last edited by totalmotorcycle on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

Mike,

I think someone got their wires crossed up in that 2004 model report on the Indian 4. That picture looks very much like a Dakota 4, ("Indian 4" in the UK) produced by a completely different company run by Alan Forbes in Scotland. The Dakota 4/Indian 4 had nothing to do with the 1999-2003 Gilroy Indian company. The UK was one of the few places where the Gilroy company did not own the "Indian" name.

This website provides some more details about various post-1954 companies & bikes named Indian: http://www.indianchiefmotorcycles.com/currentline.htm

I do agree with your other points on the Gilroy Indian company. Hopefully Stellican has done homework that the previous backers didn't do, and has their eyes wide open about the amount of cash it takes to kick off a new major brand motorcycle company. Been done twice in recent years: Triumph (with John Bloor's millions) and Victory (with Polaris' millions). Lesson learned: bring lotsa money.

Jonathan
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:Mike,

I think someone got their wires crossed up in that 2004 model report on the Indian 4. That picture looks very much like a Dakota 4, ("Indian 4" in the UK) produced by a completely different company run by Alan Forbes in Scotland. The Dakota 4/Indian 4 had nothing to do with the 1999-2003 Gilroy Indian company. The UK was one of the few places where the Gilroy company did not own the "Indian" name... Jonathan
DOH! :frusty: I'll change my post there.

:oops:

Mike.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#15 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Ya get that Mike-

Those U.K. Indians look really sweet.

A bit confusing though....U.S. & U.K. Indians???

:?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

CentralOzzy wrote:Those U.K. Indians look really sweet.

They sure do. And it's amazing how you can have the Indian name in two countries, make bikes that carry the same logo and not get into copyright infringement.

I really do like the look of that UK Indian, maybe the US Indian will make something like that.

Mike

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#17 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
CentralOzzy wrote:Those U.K. Indians look really sweet.

They sure do. And it's amazing how you can have the Indian name in two countries, make bikes that carry the same logo and not get into copyright infringement.

I really do like the look of that UK Indian, maybe the US Indian will make something like that.

Mike
Yes, you'd think the copywrite War would be ON!

I thought the new Indian would pick up where the old one left off??

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

CentralOzzy wrote:I thought the new Indian would pick up where the old one left off??
From what I see of their 2006 (proposed?) models they look identical to the 2003 ones they were bringing out. I think when they purchased the company they also purchased all the tools, dies and part bins. It makes sense at the start to remake/reintroduce the models that made the 2nd generation successful* then change/introduce new models as they go.

Mike.

* Remember that it wasn't the models that brought down the company, the models were really good and original. It was financial.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#19 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote: * Remember that it wasn't the models that brought down the company, the models were really good and original. It was financial.
If there was a quantifyable way of proving this, I would bet you a bottle of Red-Stripe that you are wrong buddy........ :P

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#20 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

CentralOzzy wrote:I'll take the Chief! - In Red of course. (Or Black) :laughing:
definatly red, ecspecially if it's the red on the side of the spirit's tank.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]