Indian Motorcycle Company Back in Business has New Home

Daily Motorcycle News has moved Here

Is the 3rd time the charm for Indian Motorcycle?

It will be a Home Run
7%
Bases are loaded and we'll see...
57%
Struck Out
37%

Total votes: 30

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by Lunchbox »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
"Beginning in the 2009 model year, Indian may reintroduce "Scout" and "Spirit" models. "
Booo! They should consider making their entry level models and price point models first to gain market share and get as many Indian motorcycles on the road IMO.

Mike.
That will come, but the profit is in the big bikes. Harley sells every sportster at a loss. When a company is big they can do that, but not out of the gate. These guys have a long term stratagy.

Gilroy expected to be profitable in 3 years, that was insane.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#32 Unread post by Lunchbox »

CentralOzzy wrote:OK RED it is!

The It would be a proper RED Indian right? :wink:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#33 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Lunchbox wrote:

Now there is an Indian Chief that just oooozes charater. :drool:

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#34 Unread post by Lunchbox »

This is the PowerPlus 92

This is the 2004 Fat Tire Scout with the PP92

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#35 Unread post by Lunchbox »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:

Now there is an Indian Chief that just oooozes charater. :drool:

Mike.
Sarcasm will get you nowhere

On the north coast of California

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#36 Unread post by Lunchbox »

High_Side wrote:The last re-birth Indians were nothing more than jobber Harley parts assembled with valenced fenders and a 50% premium over a properly engineered and constructed Harley. Their first engine of their own design never saw the light of day, and thus was never proven to be anything worthy of owning. So I just have to ask WHY would anyone buy one for anything other than the name? Help pull me from under my rock and explain to me what I am missing......
The Indian PowerPlus 100 used in the 2003 - 04 Chief and will be used in the 2007 Chief

Also, the Indian frame is a monoshock. I do not know of monoshock Harley

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#37 Unread post by Lunchbox »

Here is a picture of a frame being put together. I will try to find one a litle more together so you can see the suspension.
Image[/url]

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#38 Unread post by High_Side »

Lunchbox wrote:
High_Side wrote:The last re-birth Indians were nothing more than jobber Harley parts assembled with valenced fenders and a 50% premium over a properly engineered and constructed Harley. Their first engine of their own design never saw the light of day, and thus was never proven to be anything worthy of owning. So I just have to ask WHY would anyone buy one for anything other than the name? Help pull me from under my rock and explain to me what I am missing......
The Indian PowerPlus 100 used in the 2003 - 04 Chief and will be used in the 2007 Chief

Also, the Indian frame is a monoshock. I do not know of monoshock Harley
So the engine saw the light of day, if only through a crack through the ground from the grave :P Just kidding. How many Indians with non-Jobber Harley engines did they produce back then?
I actually always liked the classic Indian lines, but really never saw the last iteration of the company being anything other than a clone builder and T-shirt marketer. I hope the next version of the company is successful but they are fighting a huge uphill battle. Polarus has managed to pull it off after a shakey start that they only got through with deep pockets and the advantage of having an operational R&D department, a dealer network, and their experience manufacturing. All the best to this weeks Indian....if they pull it off it will be against the odds.

Lunchbox
Rookie
Rookie

#39 Unread post by Lunchbox »

High_Side wrote: So the engine saw the light of day, if only through a crack through the ground from the grave :P Just kidding. How many Indians with non-Jobber Harley engines did they produce back then?
I actually always liked the classic Indian lines, but really never saw the last iteration of the company being anything other than a clone builder and T-shirt marketer. I hope the next version of the company is successful but they are fighting a huge uphill battle. Polarus has managed to pull it off after a shakey start that they only got through with deep pockets and the advantage of having an operational R&D department, a dealer network, and their experience manufacturing. All the best to this weeks Indian....if they pull it off it will be against the odds.
I got the numbers somewhere but off the top of my head they built about 6,500 PP100 engines. They sold about 4,000 (2002 - 04) Chiefs with the PP100.

The thing that many people do not understand is the conditions the Canadians got the trademarks under. They had to start building bike immediately. That is why they bought the California Motorcycle Company (CMC).

I think the other group, Eller, got screwed. They had a brand new from the ground up bike that they had been working on for several years. They had the deal made with the courts. Then the Canadians came in and …. Well, some funny "poo poo" happened and suddenly the TM were yanked from Eller and given to the Canadian group

Eller prototype

Anyway, that is a very short version on why the 1999 – 2001 Chief came out the way they did. The courts gave them no choice.

The new parent company, Stellican, “I” think is the right company to bring the Indian name back. First, they are playing with their own personal money. They do not have outside investors so they will be very careful with what they do. Second, the last company (Gilroy) has already dumped half a billion dollars in development and promotion of the last “Indian” incarnation. Talk about having a good head start handed to you. They came a long way in a short time. Had the investors not pulled their money out 2004 would have been HUGE for Indian. That Fat Tire Scout was MSRP at 14,995. They would have sold every single one they could have made. Last, Stellican has a track record that can be studied. They have brought many companies back from the dead. Two were motor sport company’s; Riva and Chris Craft. After they turned Riva around they sold it. But they say that it was a mistake that they will not do again. They have kept Chris Craft and have turned it around and back to a quality boat builder again after the name had been dragged through the mud for decades. If interested do some research on what they have been able to do with CC.

They have a great business plan for Indian. They have a slow growth plan. The first couple years they plan to build no more then 1,000 per year and slowly increase as demand calls for it.

In Gilroy they planned on building 15,000 in their second year … they sold 1,800.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#40 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

A little more news:

Chris-Craft and Indian Motorcycle to Open Manufacturing Facilities in North Carolina
July 28, 2006 - expansionmanagement.com

KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. (July 28, 2006) — Both companies have been awarded a One North Carolina Fund grant and a Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG).

Chris-Craft Corp and Indian Motorcycle Co. will open facilities in Kings Mountain, N.C., investing approximately $42 million in Cleveland County and creating 807 jobs over the next five years. The two companies will receive grants from the state’s One North Carolina Fund and Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG) program.

Founded in 1874, Chris-Craft is the oldest boat manufacturer in the United States. The company will relocate its yacht division from Sarasota, Fla. to the former Daimler-Chrysler’s Axle Alliance building in Kings Mountain and plans to begin manufacturing next year. The majority of the 640 new jobs will be skilled production positions, and while individual wages will vary greatly, the average wage for all of these positions will be $32,000 a year plus benefits, which is greater than the Cleveland County average yearly pay of $28,700, not including benefits.

Indian Motorcycle Co. will move from Sarasota, Fla., and plans to invest more than $23 million to open a motorcycle production facility in the old International Paper plant near Kings Mountain. The new 167 jobs will be skilled production and engineer positions and while individual wages will vary greatly, the average wage for all of these positions will pay an average annual salary of $47,000 plus benefits, which is more than the Cleveland County average of $28,700 a year, not including benefits.

"This state has a work force with the skills we need to build boats. Former furniture makers and woodworkers are ideal employees for us," said Stephen Heese, Chris-Craft Corporation president. "The central location near several interstates will facilitate product distribution, and the quality of life cannot be beat. The biggest factor in our decision was the warm reception we received by local and state officials, and their willingness to work with us to make this project happen."

"Our primary goal is to return Indian Motorcycle Company to its rightful position as a premium motorcycle brand, selling beautifully designed, high quality products and delivering world-class service," said David Wright, Indian Motorcycle Company president. "North Carolina offers us the skilled workforce and business-friendly atmosphere to make that happen."

Both companies have been awarded a One North Carolina Fund grant and a Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG). These two funds combined have helped create more than 30,000 jobs and an investment of more than $5 billion since 2001.

Chris-Craft and Indian Motorcycle were bought by investors who are advised by Stellican Limited. Stellican is a London-based private equity firm headed by Stephen Julius that specializes in the acquisition and revival of distressed companies with famous brand names.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.