LADIES - :) Estrogen Mechanic

tekla
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

LADIES - :) Estrogen Mechanic

#1 Unread post by tekla »

So, I recently got an amazing 1971 Honda CB 750 that I am hoping to do most of the work on myself if it kills me ( I'll be starting a journal on that soon..hehe). I've been tearing down the seat and doing a few small things here and there in the garage. Whenever any of my male neighbors pass by, they seem completely amazed or humored that my hubby isn't the one out there with filthy hands and misc tools crammed in his pockets. Even some of the female neighbors and my friends are dumbfounded that it's me working out there.
Has anyone else dealt with this hilarious reaction from people before? It seems like such a shock to people to see someone with boobens out there doing what they may consider the "man's job" :laughing: :laughing:
"America is all about speed -......hot, nasty bad-a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#2 Unread post by CNF2002 »

In the defense of the general public, I don't think its necessarily a 'mans job'...most ladies I know just aren't willing to get their hands dirty.

I've tried countless times to get my wife to learn how to maintain her car. I can't even get her to change a tire. She always says she can just call AAA...when I explain that we don't BELONG to AAA the discussion is unfortunately already over. :laughing:
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: :) Estrogen Mechanic

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

tekla wrote:So, I recently got an amazing 1971 Honda CB 750 that I am hoping to do most of the work on myself if it kills me ( I'll be starting a journal on that soon..hehe). I've been tearing down the seat and doing a few small things here and there in the garage. Whenever any of my male neighbors pass by, they seem completely amazed or humored that my hubby isn't the one out there with filthy hands and misc tools crammed in his pockets. Even some of the female neighbors and my friends are dumbfounded that it's me working out there.
Has anyone else dealt with this hilarious reaction from people before? It seems like such a shock to people to see someone with boobens out there doing what they may consider the "man's job" :laughing: :laughing:
Sure, I do my work on the trucks and bike all the time. Its a good to get the job done.

Have fun :) Oh yeah, don't play into too much like it's a real big thing to do your own work - it drives people crazier when you're so blahze (sp?) about it ..."duh, you don't do your own work???" :wink:

Edit: I'm a girl. I have watermellons.

tekla
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by tekla »

I didnt think it was a big deal that I was doing my own work but my nieghbors etc seem to think so. I grew up with only women around so there really wasn't such thing as a "man's job". :P The hubby likes it though. He knows things will get done around here since I hate waiting for things to be done..hehe.
"America is all about speed -......hot, nasty bad-a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

tekla wrote:I didnt think it was a big deal that I was doing my own work but my nieghbors etc seem to think so. I grew up with only women around so there really wasn't such thing as a "man's job". :P The hubby likes it though. He knows things will get done around here since I hate waiting for things to be done..hehe.
:righton:

Yeah, its odd how some people are so surprised, it surprises me...."what? I'm not wearing my innards on the outside today, am I?" :lol: What all do you need to get done to the bike? Maintenance/tuneup? Or a little fun mods?

tekla
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by tekla »

I'm taking it in to have the carbs looked at ( there's 4 of them) and I want to make sure nothing's missed. The rest are little things here and there..chrome polishing, putting new foam on the seat and a few other things you would expect to see on a 35 yr old bike. I was lucky though. It was in amazing condition when I got it and the former owner spends his free time restoring old cars and bikes, so most of the major work was done.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

That sounds pretty good - enjoy the time getting it ready to run 8)

Muse
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Muse »

I'm just beginning to learn about maintaining my motorcycle. I've got the super-easy stuff down - like oil changes and chain maintenance. I've been lucky to have a good friend who has really helped with showing me what to do along the way. I learn best when I watch once, do once with supervision, and then do the task myself approach, so for me it's been nice to have that support from my friend. Sometimes, when he and I are working in his garage, other people will show up to work on their bikes too, and they seem a bit surprised that I'm there to learn and participate rather than to just be eye candy. It's kinda funny to see their reactions.

I find, though, that the hardest part is going to GET the parts I need. Some of the parts people (even the women) at the motorcycle shops around here seem shocked that a woman would even know what she needs... Silly.