Helmet Fit Guidelines...

archanis
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by archanis »

in my experience with sales reps of all kinds, about 70% don't have the product (bike, helmet, ext) and the knoledge of what its realy good for. the best way to avoid things like "this one offers less protection, but look how shiney it is" you HAVE to do your own research. if you leave it up to the sales rep to guide you through anything, you will be decked out in the most painfull gear imaginable. but man will you be sparkly and broke ;)

remember to take everthing a shop owner says with a grain of salt, and compair it with your own research. shop around, and definently try before you buy. i have some experience with helmets and i have to say that liners are the way to go. nothing sucks worse than having to replace a helmet after 8 months because the insides are oily and nasty. you know that moldy sock smell? helmet liners avoid that.

avoid the shopkeeps glitter, and you should do fine.
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

Kim
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Kim »

This article is pretty lengthy but very interesting. Helmet safety reviews.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/m ... et_review/
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#13 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Candy750 wrote: Thank you - one question.

I have a full face, modular (opens at the chin). How - if these regularly fail the roll test - do youknow it fits? Or did you mean you can't apply this test to a modular?....
Because of the way modulars are constructed, the 'push off test' doesn't apply.
Candy750 wrote: I am going at lunch time to look at a new helmet. Should I avoid the modular? I def want to keep full face, but do love the chin opening convenience....
It is up to you. First see if you can get one that fits well by the rest of the guidelines. I haven't found one yet that fits MY head.

Another note: With the additional hardware on the outside, modular helmets seem to get a LOT of wind noise.

Oh, and DO NOT RIDE with the chin bar up. EVER. They are almost more dangerous like this than not wearing a helmet at all.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

CO_Tim
Rookie
Rookie

my helmet buying experience

#14 Unread post by CO_Tim »

Excellent post on page 1 LionLady!

My experience buying a helmet:
* most shops don't take returns. Since damage isn't always visible I don't blame them. But all will let you walk around the store with the helmet on for 30 min. while you shop for other stuff. Even 5 min. will give you a good idea if it fits or not.
* If they start with the expensive helmets (Arai/Shoei/Suomy), claiming that your head is worth the $500 price tag, just leave. Fit is most important, not cost. So start with cheaper brands and work your way up. I tried on many many helmets, and passed up the $72 HJC bargain and the cool $500 Shoei because a $180 helmet fit me the best.
* A few shops will let you take the helmet for a spin around the block. so ask.
* some shops will do exchanges. This is only useful if they carry many brands. The shop I got mine at (Performance Cycles) had 6 or 7 brands, very helpful if your head is hard to fit.
* Most (all?) mail order shops accept returns. So you could order 4-5 helmets at once and return the ones that don't fit. Check their return policy first! Once you factor in shipping costs it's usually cheaper and easier to buy at a store.
* My head is very oval, and the KBC Force RR fits me very well. Nothing else came close. Hard to pull on/off, but super comfy once it's in place.
* Personally I think it's unethical to ask a salesperson to help you find a helmet that fits and then buy it somewhere else.
2001 Suzuki SV650 (red)

Lion_Lady

#15 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Candy750 wrote:No NEVER! Cannot ride with chin bar open! Gosh! Wouldn't ever consider it! Every one I know has a shorty and at stop lights, likes to "talk". I like the mod to be able to easily lift up and talk, as well as if getting gas at pay at the pump, etc. But I don't need that extra 30% of my head exposed.
Amazing but true: I swear that at least 60% of the folks I know who have modular helmets REGULARLY ride with the chin bar UP. :frusty: One of them ended up with a nearly broken jaw and black eye when his bike hit something and he did a face plant into the edge of his windscreen.

I mean, just buy a 3/4 helmet and save yourself some $$.

P

Crash
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by Crash »

iav8 wrote:
This is where using a full service shop is worth it. They should encourage you to wear the helmet for some time before buying.
So far, we have been to two shops trying on helmets. Neither one offered any of your valuable advice :?. At one shop we were quickly handed of to the "kid" when it was evident that we were there to look at the helmets sitting next to that $20,000 bike. These shops should encourage everyone - especially the young apprentice sales people - to know how to help the new people make a good helmet choice. It seems like the easiest way to win over a beginner customer.

You referred to a helmet liner. I have read that these can also be useful in protecting the helmet liner for stinky sweat. If the helmet already fits snug, might the extra lining make it too tight? Of course, the shops we visited did not mention the possiblity of using a liner so we didn't try fitting with one.
I use a bandana as a liner. Doesn't result in a tight fit, is inexpensive and in hot weather I can soak it in water and the evaporation effect cools me down.

In the spring and fall when the temperature is near freezing I wear a spandex balaclava.

Its easy to pop either one in the wash and it keeps the helmet from getting smelly.

Crash
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by Crash »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Very helpful post!

I would like to add anyway buy a NEW unused motorcycle helmet with DOT (or better) rating. Do not buy a used or unknown helmet as this is your life you are entrusting to that piece of safety gear.

I would also strongly recommend a FULL FACE helmet over ALL other types. I had a high speed motorcycle accident a few years ago and thank god that I was wearing a full face helmet as I still have my original jaw and teeth.

Also there are different safety standards for helments.

DOT = Department of Transportation. Consider this the MINIMUM in safety protection and standards.

SNELL = An independant and unbiased test lab that tests DOT helmets to higher standards.

I know there is a European standard as well that is just as good if not better than SNELL, but I can't remember it right now (too long of a day). But I would suggest buying a SNELL or (European Standard) as then you KNOW you are getting a good quality helmet for your head.

Mike.
CE22.05 is the European standard. There is considerable controversy between SNELL and the European standards people as to which standard is the best. I don't think the CE standard is accepted in the US but I don't know for sure. In Canada the CE standard is not recognized but the British Standards Institution is. The BSI standard is essentially the CE22.05 standard. Canada, like the US, also accepts the SNELL and DOT standard.

Lion_Lady

#18 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

iav8 wrote:
You referred to a helmet liner. I have read that these can also be useful in protecting the helmet liner for stinky sweat. If the helmet already fits snug, might the extra lining make it too tight? Of course, the shops we visited did not mention the possiblity of using a liner so we didn't try fitting with one.
If you go shoe shopping, you usually bring along the socks you'll most likely be wearing with those shoes, right? Same with wearing a helmet liner.

That said, if you did your initial fitting without any type of liner, you can still start wearing one. The helmet will feel a bit 'snugger' for a time, but then you won't notice it.

Look for one of the seamless types, like BUFF. They're a tube of thin knitted fabric. I've got like 6 of them, including one with reflective tape on it for added visibility at night.

Check out their website: http://www.buffusa.com/ The site even has a 'how to wear a Buff' video clip.

Pam

CycleNewb
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by CycleNewb »

Koss wrote:
BlueBomber wrote:
MonkeyMaw wrote:Went to my local Yami shop to try on some lids. After reading the Motorcyclist article "Blowing The Lid Off" I knew I wanted a DOT-rated helmet, not a SNELL.
A) You do realize that every SNELL helmet is also a DOT rated helmet right?

B) The non-SNELL helmets that did so well didn't FAIL the SNELL test..they just haven't been tested. SNELL doesn't buy a bunch of helmets and test them. The company has to give the helmets to SNELL. This requires a couple grand worth of helmets, and potential slight modifications per the SNELL requirements.

Conclusion: A SNELL approved helmet is never a bad choice. Bottom line. But a non-SNELL doesn't make it a bad choice at all!

You'll note that the DOT approves 3/4 quarter and open helmets, while SNELL doesn't.

\/\/
Hrm, those are some good points.
The "blowing the lid" test was testing the amount of Gs transferred to the head, rather than how strong a hit the outer shell could tolerate. At that standard, many snell helmets transmitted more Gs to the head, which made it less effective in protecting the brain from trauma. In other words, it tested the foam inside, not the shell.

Getting back on topic, which pertains to fit and not certifications, I ordered the Z1R strike helmet (XL) based on the stellar results of that test, and I am unsure about it's fit.

I've had it on for about 45 minutes, while ebaying and whatnot and it seems OK. I feel a little more pressure on the forehead then anywhere else, and it fails the roll test mentioned.

I assume this means that my head is the wrong shape for this helmet, since it's a bear to get on and then it feels tight in some spots and loose in others?

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#20 Unread post by Koss »

This Z1R Strike helmt review says it has a more of an earth head shape. Meaning its wider at the sides of your head than the front and back of the head.

You can see how they describe the shapes of heads Here.

Helmets fit better after some time to wear in. The interior padding tries to conform to the head. But I would still suggest, if your able, to return the helmet for one that fits your head better. I assume that if the helmet dosn't fit properly, its going to transfer more force to where you feel the pressure points... or painful areas on your head.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss