Is there a problem with old Intruders

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Is there a problem with old Intruders

#1 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

and speedodometer cables? My bike has had two break on it and even though it is a 93 and twelve years old it only has about 14000 miles on it. I bought it with a broken cable and now, a year later, the cable is broke again. When I bought one last year it was only about 15.00 plus shipping, now they seem to be running at 60.00?? What is the deal, does anyone know??

Thanks
Becca

My Christmas gift to myself is going to be a set of rachets I am afraid, I am tired of borrowing them :frusty:
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

Lubricating the cable every few months and when first installed is a good idea. Just slide the inner drive spring out, wipe the grease and dirt off it, and coat it with a light grease. You can shoot some contact cleaner down the outer cable to clean it. Let it dry before sliding the inner spring back. Some people like to undo the connection to the speedo(the high end) and drop a few drops of motor oil into the cable from there, letting it work it's way down. No reason that shouldn't work reasonably well, it just doesn't clean the old crud out first.

I don't know if your bike has a problem eating cables or not, though. Sorry. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

Thanks BuzZz,

I will try that when I get a new cable!!

Becca :)
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!