I hate my new V Star 650 custom

debbrango
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

riding

#11 Unread post by debbrango »

sure Lion lets hook up & ride.
my group: Petes Riders Club on Belair Road(Fullerton) usually rides every sunday morn, join us for a dayride.

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

VStar sucks

#12 Unread post by chickenhawk »

I test rode one of these in Daytona- I really hoped to like it (so did my hubby). It looked cool, sounded great...but it was the absolute worst riding bike I've ever been on. We both took offour helmets after the ride and blurted out what we thought of the bike, lol. Needless to say I went back to the Kawasaki area and re-rode the ZX12R.
Sorry you were so disappointed. I thought accelaration was a big problem, as well as the handling in general.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

still hating it?

#13 Unread post by blues2cruise »

hey debbrango, I'm just wondering if you've changed your feelings about your bike? You still hating it or have you grown to like it?

debbrango
Rookie
Rookie

do I still hate my new V STAR????

#14 Unread post by debbrango »

Well let me see, I have my moments. Thanks for asking.
Most of the time NO. I'm getting more used to the size of it.
I really haven't had much time to ride her, with work, weather, & my husband just had a really bad accident in his Jeep that ended him in Shock Trauma.He's doing alot better, but still can't wear his helmet, he had a large gash in his forehead which needed alot of sewin up & is still tender. enough about him, lol.
So he & I haven't been out. I did go out with my club last Sunday(mothers day), I needed a ride bad to get my mind of stuff.
It was the worst ride I ever did. I totally sucked, I nearly killed myself a few times. LOOK WHERE U WANT TO GO!!! DID I? NO. Target fixation which I never do. I DID.I couldn't wait to get home, when I did I just cried. Didn't get much sleep that night.
What I did do is get up 5:30 Monday morning & up the mall me & my bike went where I practiced for a few hours. I practiced all slow skills, this is where I have my problems. I did OK. Every morning this week I was up the mall, I eventually had an audience of truckers who had parked their rigs in the lot to sleep, but I guess my pipes awoke them.
I found an uphill stop sign with a right turn, which is a major problemo for us. I did it alot, til it got smooth like butta! If i did real good my newly acquired trucker buddies gave my a thumbs up. I eventually found a new spot, an audience makes me nervous.
Long story short, I feel much less ready to throw up(lol) now on my bike & am doing much better on my slow skills. I still go up the mall & practice, that's where I'm getting ready to go after my workout, & I may even go for a ride today.
THANX AGAIN FOR ASKING, DEBBIE :D

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#15 Unread post by amstaffmom »

Debbie, Sorry to hear about your first ride out. But I'm glad you are sticking with it and doing better now!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one..I completed the MSF course about month ago, passed!! yea! Its not only the first time ever riding but I have never drove a clutch either. Well we went looking for a bike and everyone told me not to buy a 250, go 650. So I researched and found a Suzuki boulavard S40 which was a 650 but only 50lbs more then the 250s. We brought it home last week. I've been practicing in my driveway, I live down a dead end rode and have a long drive way, about a quarter mile. And can do a horse show up my neighbors driveway. Both also have a slight hill. I was getting sooo fustrated though because I kept stalling it. I was thinking what did I do, I'm never going to get this!! Finally last Thursday it clicked!! I ended on a good note. This morning they were expecting rain but its gorgeous out, so my husband rode the bike and I followed him up to the mall. Boy is it soo much different to ride on the real road then riding in class and on my dead end street. But I practiced all my slow stuff and then road around the outside of the lot. I felt good but still very very nervous especially when cars started riding near me. I'm going to keep practicing and hopefully get the hang of it.

Now hubby needs to decide on whether or not he's going to get the Honda Shadow or by his BIL's HD 883!

Jean

Telesque
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by Telesque »

Debb! Yowza!

Complete biking craziness for you, huh?

Well, I'm glad you stuck it through (not once, but twice!) and I hope you're enjoying yourself even more now. :D There's a certain sort of calmness you only get with experience, and that'll help you through any future troubles.

Keep it up, and ride safe!
-'95 Honda VT600CD / 'Shadow VLX Deluxe'
-'84 Ruestman WTF606

"[The four stroke] cycle is basically this -SUCK, SQUEEZE, BURN, and BLOW." -Dan's Motorcycle Repair Guide.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#17 Unread post by Digginit »

Congrats on the new bike. Hope the hubby's doing better....ouch. When I started riding my Wide Glide, it seemed HUGE compared to my old '86 Intruder 800. It WAS huge compared to the Intruder. I rode it for about a week on roads with not much traffic until I got used to it. The biggest obstacle was definately mental. Had to learn to relax and ride the bike. Can't make a curve if you're all stiff, and something about being scared makes me stiff. It may be totally different for you, but I just had to be confident in my riding ability. I had ridden for years, but just on a smaller bike.

Enjoy Woman!!!!

linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#18 Unread post by Loonette »

I've been away for a bit, so I'm just now catching up. So glad to hear that you're sticking to it. It takes time with any bike that different, but especially when moving up in size. Eventually though, the bike becomes one with you, and you'll know it better than anyone else. Have fun and ride safe!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

grussem
Regular
Regular

#19 Unread post by grussem »

A good dealer should have a few models for you to test ride. If they wanna sell a bike bad enough, they'll let you test ride it. I had no problem test riding my Victory before I bought it. Don't worry though, you'll get used to it and find that the bigger bike is much better on the highway. Before I bought my Vic I had an 883 Harley, my Vic is a 1507 and weighs about 150 pounds more. It didn't take long for me at all to get used to it. I think it's just a matter of confidence. Don't be too hard on yourself, you'll do just fine and a month from now you'll be wondering why you were so worried. Ride safe! :D
2004 Victory Kingpin

"To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Semper Fi

Ladymx

#20 Unread post by Ladymx »

Deb, your doing great. Have no worries your going to get out and be confident to ride. It is not easy, by any means to get back on a bike, with your husband being in an accident. The fixation was more caused by not having your full mind into riding, which in turn took some of your confidence away, but getting out to the parking lots and practicing is a perfect way to rebuild it and get back out on the road. I hope your husband is feeling better and will soon be able to get out there with you again.