Holding in clutch while braking = bad habit?

misfits9095
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

yeaho!

#11 Unread post by misfits9095 »

my understanding is that riding a clutch causes a great deal of wear and shortens the life of the diaphram (sp?) springs as well as the clutch plate. atleast that was what i was told when i purchased my last car.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: yeaho!

#12 Unread post by jonnythan »

misfits9095 wrote:my understanding is that riding a clutch causes a great deal of wear and shortens the life of the diaphram (sp?) springs as well as the clutch plate. atleast that was what i was told when i purchased my last car.
According to my MSF instructors, car clutches are quite different from motorcycle clutches. Bike clutches are made to withstand the wear and tear of slipping, so it's not a problem to use clutch control to help regulate power to the rear wheel, especially in lower gears where the throttle is touchy and can lead to jerking.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#13 Unread post by Shorts »

jonnythan wrote:
misfits9095 wrote:my understanding is that riding a clutch causes a great deal of wear and shortens the life of the diaphram (sp?) springs as well as the clutch plate. atleast that was what i was told when i purchased my last car.
According to my MSF instructors, car clutches are quite different from motorcycle clutches. Bike clutches are made to withstand the wear and tear of slipping, so it's not a problem to use clutch control to help regulate power to the rear wheel, especially in lower gears where the throttle is touchy and can lead to jerking.
+1, that's what I've been told as well. I too initially had the same concerns about riding the clutch and whatnot on the motorcycle.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#14 Unread post by jonnythan »

Shorts wrote:+1, that's what I've been told as well. I too initially had the same concerns about riding the clutch and whatnot on the motorcycle.
To elaborate a little more, among my three instructors, none of them could think of anyone they know who has had to get a clutch replaced on a bike that hasn't been crashed.. including the course bikes that live in first and second gears with the clutches half engaged.

HungPower
Regular
Regular

#15 Unread post by HungPower »

Oh i see. So I guess the consensus is to stay off the clutch while on a curve to stay in acceleration eh? I guess I hold in the clutch until I lean and then I friction point the rest of the way with a maintenance throttle. But I guess that won't do =\

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#16 Unread post by VermilionX »

HungPower wrote:Oh i see. So I guess the consensus is to stay off the clutch while on a curve to stay in acceleration eh? I guess I hold in the clutch until I lean and then I friction point the rest of the way with a maintenance throttle. But I guess that won't do =\
you don't need the clutch when you're doing maintenance throttle while cornering.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#17 Unread post by jonnythan »

HungPower wrote:Oh i see. So I guess the consensus is to stay off the clutch while on a curve to stay in acceleration eh? I guess I hold in the clutch until I lean and then I friction point the rest of the way with a maintenance throttle. But I guess that won't do =\
Have you taken the MSF class?

Slow, look lean and roll ;) Roll on the throttle into and through the turn to maximize traction.

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by rapidblue »

jonnythan wrote:
+1 using the clutch makes for a nice smooth ride.
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

spinner
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by spinner »

I slip the clutch the most when taking off from a stop. Also need to slip it if I'm doing a U-turn type maneuver. Besides that, I only slip it a tiny it bit during shifting to make the transition to the next gear a smooth one.
.:2006 GSX-R 600:.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/cspinner/65f4a1ec5a001a02396ac2d1baa8e31a.jpg[/img]

Shenanigans7
Regular
Regular

#20 Unread post by Shenanigans7 »

The Crimson Rider® wrote: what does the MSF teach about this?

when i took the MSF course in November, they taught us to only cover the clutch, but not use it unless you absolutely needed to downshift. i use the same technique when i drive my manual '86 toyota truck...however, they did emphasize that when we do quickstops to hold the clutch in, so that you can quickly go to first and take off again in case of emergency.
The early bird gets the worm...

But the second mouse gets the cheese