Give your advice..

Should ladies get a motorcycle inspite of others opinions?

Yes
82%
No
No votes
Depends
18%

Total votes: 38

bngarza
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by bngarza »

YES!!!
I ride and my husband does not!! He was against it but got over it. It took me 6 years but I finally got him around. I ride as safe as I know how! I always wear a helmet even if I get greif over it from friends.
Lady Riders ROCK!!
Picture of my tank.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#12 Unread post by Loonette »

I voted "yes", but that's barring any of the really important circumstances, as was mentioned by others.

A few weeks ago, when the weather first took a turn for the better, there were a couple of motorcycle fatalities in our area. One was a woman in her late 30's (with her full helmet and full gear on!). I'm thinking, dodo!, that's right in my demographic! They didn't mention whether or not she had any children, but it sure made me think about things. Leaving my kids motherless is the only factor that lends any discouragement to me riding. Problem is, I have no way of determining what it will be to take me out of this world, so I just do things as safely as possible, and love my family every minute I get.

I was once told by my mom's husband that I was irresponsible, as a mom, to be out on a motorcycle. I've talked plenty with my kids about this topic, and even though they understand the added risk I take on, they are still in support of me riding - they know it makes me happy.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by Digginit »

I think that once you have a family--husband, children--then your decisions and the consequences of your decisions affect them dramatically. I would hope that my family would respect me enough not to demand any course of action on my part, and I give mine equal respect. Their opinions are as valid as mine. I am the final word on what I do for myself, but I doubt I would ever go against my family's wishes on something like riding or skydiving. The risks are pretty great, and it's important for me to have the blessings of those who would be most affected if I were to die doing it.

linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Bratcat
Rookie
Rookie

You already know the answer

#14 Unread post by Bratcat »

Hi all,

Back in may I posted a poll, concerning the the problem I had with my intense desire to ride and my husbands intense concern for safety on bikes. I was on the verge of going to the BRC and just riding up and saying SUPRISE!!! Bad idea, the responses I recieved were practical and very very accurate. I am compelled to say thank you one more time... We now have (2) bikes in our garage we have our learners permits and will be going to BRC soon, notice the we and our!!! He's hooked!! and believe me that this whole thing has infused our relationship with something wonderful and unexpected. he has (grudgingly)admitted that he is impressed with the skills I'm developing.Iadmithe looks pretty good to.

Remember when it comes to good advise always go with what can be applied to your situation. You could get a cool suprise.

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#15 Unread post by NightNurse »

Sweet!! Have fun :)

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#16 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Diana that is awesome news. :)

SP-Dee
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by SP-Dee »

I voted yes, absolutely, definitely, if you want to ride, go for it.

But do it in a safe manner, MSF course, maybe an advanced course, practice, good starter bike.

I know a lot of women who ride together because it's THEIR time. Away from the SO's, the kids, the housework, the yardwork, etc. Just because you are married or living with someone doesn't mean you give your own identity and dreams up.

Although on the practical side, upping your life insurance won't hurt either :)
2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200s