Whats the best way to lower the seat height about 3 inches?

sherlihy22
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Whats the best way to lower the seat height about 3 inches?

#1 Unread post by sherlihy22 »

I am looking to buy a newer honda cbr 600 for my girlfriend who is only about 5'4''. I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to lower the seat height on the bike about three inches or so. I know I can extend the rear chassis and drop it a bit, but I'm not sure if that is that best way. any suggestions?

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

Look up Diamond Powersports and see if they have a lowering link for it. If they do, that should do the trick.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#3 Unread post by Gadjet »

I take it your girlfriend has a lot of riding experience? If she doesn't, you might want to think about getting her a bike that is going to be easier for her to learn on.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

sherlihy22
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by sherlihy22 »

[quote="WhyteGryphon"]I take it your girlfriend has a lot of riding experience? If she doesn't, you might want to think about getting her a bike that is going to be easier for her to learn on.[/quote]

Yeah man she had a ninja 500 for a while...she wants something that can perform a bit better...she's been riding for about 3 years now and is probably one of the better female riders i've met. any advice about lowering it?

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#5 Unread post by Gadjet »

Good to hear she has the skills. I just wanted to clarify, given that we get a lot of new riders who've never been on a bike before wanting to get the latest supersport.

As for lowering the seat height, you can also look into getting the seat shaved down, or getting a new custom seat made. This will have two benefits:

1. provides a lower seat making it easier for your g/f to get on/off the bike as well as get her feet down at a stop.

2. can be custom molded to fit her 'seat' and seating position, making the bike more comfortable for her and allowing her to ride longer without getting a sore butt.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

ubarw
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by ubarw »

let the air out of the tires? Sorry, I couldnt resist!

:laughing:

Good luck...
Goldwing! OOOH Yah!

Telesque
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by Telesque »

ubarw wrote:let the air out of the tires? Sorry, I couldnt resist!

:laughing:

Good luck...
Aww, man, someone got to it before I did. :laughing:
-'95 Honda VT600CD / 'Shadow VLX Deluxe'
-'84 Ruestman WTF606

"[The four stroke] cycle is basically this -SUCK, SQUEEZE, BURN, and BLOW." -Dan's Motorcycle Repair Guide.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

Platform shoes.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Mac
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by Mac »

There are a number of things you can do.

Expensive options include getting the seat shaved, or lowering the suspension front and rear. This keeps the bike proper. But you are looking upwards of 2k for this.

Less expensive is the Dog Bone. Relatively easy to install it lowers the rear of the bike by one to 3 inches, however it does not lover the front, and will create some drag. If you do this right from the beginning it will not be a big deal because she will learn to ride the bike like that. You can look on e-bay and usually find them for less then a bill. Do the work yourself, about an hour and a half, and score big points because you did it.

Smartest option, buy a bike with a lover seat. I believe the Katana 6 is somewhere around 2 ½ in. lower seat height right out of the box, and it is cheaper.

R/
Mac

"Moderatio est figmentam!"

c-los
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by c-los »

gain weight