LADIES - Any tips to pass along to Monica (bluemonkie99)?

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

LADIES - Any tips to pass along to Monica (bluemonkie99)?

#1 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I thought I'd give you the update because Monica is traveling on business. This weekend is her MSF course. We're both excited and can't wait to get out there and do it, her for safety and me as a refresher before my instructor course. Unlike the normal BRC this one is condensed into 2 days. Monica gets nervous sometimes so I'll walk out if that helps but I was hoping I could pass along some tips and words of encouragement to help her this weekend.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Any tips to pass along to Monica (bluemonkie99)?

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

storysunfolding wrote:I thought I'd give you the update because Monica is traveling on business. This weekend is her MSF course. We're both excited and can't wait to get out there and do it, her for safety and me as a refresher before my instructor course. Unlike the normal BRC this one is condensed into 2 days. Monica gets nervous sometimes so I'll walk out if that helps but I was hoping I could pass along some tips and words of encouragement to help her this weekend.
What's a normal BRC? Mine was only 2 days.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I know exactly how she feels, I was really nervous when I took the MSF class. Tell her to relax and focus on one excercise at a time. If I did it with ZERO prior experience she can do it also!
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

jonnythan wrote: What's a normal BRC? Mine was only 2 days.
It may be different around here but the classroom is generally on friday night and the next two days are range course.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by jonnythan »

storysunfolding wrote:
jonnythan wrote: What's a normal BRC? Mine was only 2 days.
It may be different around here but the classroom is generally on friday night and the next two days are range course.
Ah.. my class was two 8-hour days.

Day 1:
First half classroom
Second half range

Day 2:
First half range
Second half classroon
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by Candy750 »

jonnythan probably went to HVCC, like me! But I got lost on the way there on both days (D'oh!). I took it in 2 8 hour days, but I do know people who took it in a friday nite classroom, then a range day, then a third "split" day.

I think just knowing you are on her side will make her feel great. Did I mention a hug and kiss for luck? I know that makes me do everything better!

Also - if you don't pass the first time, there is another shot.

Relax, have fun, and BRING LUNCH! That was my downfall. I did not realize how much energy I would expend, how hungry I'd get. I didn't bring lunch on day 1, and I didn't have enough $ to go have a decent lunch (I try to avoid fast food for many, many reasons). On day two, I brought a good lunch and a snack, and I did alot better. Oh - water too!
Candy 750

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by KarateChick »

bluemonkie:

Relax and try to have fun with it. You are there to learn and so is everyone else. Some of the best challenges you'll have and learn from will be those in which you are competing with yourself and not others. Where else can you work on skills like those in your MSF on a bike that is not yours and not have the stress of worrying if you should do something you'd hate to do on a friend's bike (like run the msf bike into a chain link fence like I did!).

Bring water & refillable water bottle and dress for the weather. I assume you'll have your gear but be prepared for cold and/or rain too. And if it rains, embrace it cause that's a lot of fun too.

Oh, and pat yourself on the back. There will always be people who want to or wish they could do/try something but are too scared to (like learning to ride) so yay! and go for it!
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#8 Unread post by jct »

I just passed the course two weeks ago (in a near constant rain) -- it was a bit exhausting, but very exciting in the end.

I agree with the folks above, tell her to bring a good lunch, a healthy snack or two and plenty of water.

Regarding the range work, tell her not to be discouraged after the first day if she found some things frustrating-- it's bound to happen. I found the low-speed manuevers particularly vexing at first. The other key is to try to implement every idea the instructor suggests at least once. For example, one of mine suggested I try the Figure 8 in second gear- made it much easier for some of us. If I was "corrected" in any way by the instructor I really tried to address it the second time around -- not only did this help directly, but it established a good working relationship with the instructor. The key is not to get tense!

She'll do fine--- remind her to have fun! And I agree with KarateChick 100%, learning something so challenging is GREAT! A real sense of accomplishent. I've been having a blast gearing up on weekend mornings to go riding with my husband.

I'll think good thoughts for her, have her check back in when she's done!

Best,

Jil
2007 H-D XL883 Low

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

If she doesn't understand something...ask....sometimes the instructors forget that absolute newbies may not know much...if anything.

Also, keep her head up and eyes up. Don't look down at the bike.

It will be challenging but fun at the same time.

bluemonkie99
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by bluemonkie99 »

Steven (storysunfolding) forgets that Ladies' Lounge is my first stop when i enter the forum. and my name was right at the top... it was really sweet and amazing to read all the support and advice from other riders out there. steven tells me i'll be fine, and i'm sure he's right, but there's still the tiny worries of failure, embarrassing myself, etc. and i had read jct's posts about her class, and the idea of rain also makes me nervous, but she did amazingly well, so there you have it, nothing to be afraid of. i know i'll be fine. i'll tell you how it goes. keep your fingers crossed for me!
"No one dies a virgin, Life screws us all."

2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250, a.k.a Rawley
1985 Honda VF 500c Magna V30 (my enemy)