LADIES - Whoo Hoo!

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

That "stay calm and breathe" mantra sure did come in handy during my MSF course this past weekend!
I noticed that I was better at the tricky stuff (16X24 box) when I first tried it and got sloppier as the day went on. I was able to pull it all together for the skills eval. I wonder if it was fatigue.
I think the stress of highway riding will wear me out, so that is on the farthest back burner for the foreseeable future.
I'm happy to hear you are doing so much riding, Michele. Did any co-workers see you pull up on the bike? Did they have anything to say?
'85 Yamaha FJ600

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#32 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Yep, I can assure you it was fatigue. Riding (especially when a person is a beginner) is very tiring. I have about 1,300 miles on my bike now :D . Three of my female co-workers wanted to see my bike when I rode it to work (45 miles each way). I took them out to the parking lot and they were very excited to see me on it :laughing: . A guy I work with wants to see it as soon as he gets back in town. The first day I rode to work, I walked into the building with my chaps on and my helmet on one hand - several people from my building were smiling and asking all sorts of questions about my riding. Seems a female rider peaks a lot of interest around here :lol: I am getting better with each ride and I am practicing the Ride Like a Pro stuff every Sunday in a school parking lot. By mid summer 2007 I want to upgrade to a V-Star 1100 custom - that bike is sweet and fits me like a glove!! I am only 5 foot 1 so it is very hard for me to find a bike that fits me (without lowering it). Even though the listed seat height is 27 for the VStar, I can get both feet down - not flatfooted but the first half of each foot. I tried many bikes that have a seat height listed 1-3 inches lower than that and I couldn't get down on any of them!! Goes to show you that seat height doesn't mean much - you have to sit on a bike to really see if it will work.

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#33 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

Goes to show you that seat height doesn't mean much - you have to sit on a bike to really see if it will work.

I know that's right! The seat's width is just as important. It could have a height of 27", but be a foot wide and you wouldn't be able to straighten out your knees.
I bet you blew everybody's mind when you came in to work wearing chaps! My hat's off to you. :clapping: :clapping:
'85 Yamaha FJ600

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#34 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Thanks! A bigger hat off to you for passing the MSF - damned that was stressful for me and wore me out good. I passed but took a Rider's Edge course a month later just to confirm that I didn't suck as bad as I did in the MSF course :laughing: . You are on your way now :D .

For bike fitting, I was actually having more of a problem with the bikes being wide - exhaust sticking out, belt assembly sticking out, which was preventing my feet from hitting the ground comfortably. I am sure the seats didn't help.

I could have kissed the sales guy who had me sit on the VStar. When I went in, I was trying a Honda 750 and was not comfortable. He saw me, came over and said "Do you have to have a Honda?" I said, "No, I just want something that fits and is a 1100 at least." He then told me to try the VStar Custom 1100. I took a look at it from the top and said "Humm, looks wide to me." He said, "Just sit on it, you will be surprised...." Well, he was right LOL! I was so happy I almost cried right there (and I am NOT an emotional gal....). My hubby was grinning from ear to ear saying "Boy does that bike fit you...." For once, I had a sales guy listen, look at me and then point me right where I needed to go!! Now, I have only had my Shadow 600 for two months - a little early to upgrade :laughing: . I figure 1 year riding my Shadow and I will be ready to upgrade to the VStar. I am so excited - the VStar custom in Black Cherry is so beautiful. It sure beats the other bikes I looked at.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#35 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

MonkeyMaw wrote:I think the stress of highway riding will wear me out, so that is on the farthest back burner for the foreseeable future.
You might be suprised. I find highway driving to be more relaxing than riding in the street. I guess it's because I don't have to worry about idiots in intersections and there is less shifting than trotting around town.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#36 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

That's a good point, no shifting or intersections. With all this adrenaline and emotion pumping, I'm worn out after a day in the parking lot. Ha!
'85 Yamaha FJ600

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#37 Unread post by jct »

MicheleZ wrote:
For bike fitting, I was actually having more of a problem with the bikes being wide - exhaust sticking out, belt assembly sticking out, which was preventing my feet from hitting the ground comfortably. I am sure the seats didn't help.
This was exactly the problem my husband had when he started looking at his next-step bike -- he's sbout 5'4 with a short inseam. Was looking at Harleys (kind of a dream for him) and even the very low Dyna's didn't fit because of the way the exhaust sticks out. He was quite disappointed until one of the other salesguys pulled him aside and told him to go sit on a Sportster. Perfect fit! Even though the seat was listed as being higher.

It's kind of funny, I get frustrated with street riding and low-speed turns. My husband has no problems. But then again, he is still more nervous on the highway than I am--- go figure!

Enjoy your riding!

JT
2007 H-D XL883 Low

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#38 Unread post by MicheleZ »

I am glad the Sportster fit him :) - I tried that one too. I didn't like the feel and I would have to lower it so I said "No go...". After about 5 bikes, I gave up on Harley.