LADIES: Are you "mechanically inclined"?

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

LADIES: Are you "mechanically inclined"?

#1 Unread post by Candy750 »

I have been trying to be sort of independant with a few things - like putting on the windshield, buying the hardware for the backrest plate, installing the backrest and brackets... I figure if I put it on, I can take it off and put it back on again... It's a woman's perogative to change her mind!

Anyway, it takes me probably 10 times as long as it would take my hubby. He works with his hands and tools for his livlihood. I work with numbers in an office. I'm never going to be ready to rejet carbuerators or take off any major parts and replace them (car, bike, vacuum cleaner!) I have changed my own car oil. I must admit I wouldn't ride in a car that I put the tire on.

So - how mechanical are you? How did you get there?
Last edited by Candy750 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candy 750

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by deedee1 »

I can do most stuff on a car and fix the vacuum and whatever else needs to be fixed. I am not ti sure about working on the bike yet. I will leave that to hubby for now :D .

My dad taught me everything he could on the car so if I was ever in a bad spot I could fix it myself. Alot of stuff I learned on my own by t :D rial and error ex: the vacuum cleaner. I would much rather be working ons tuff like that then cleaning house or shopping.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

Moderately. I build computers, I've changed various large components on my car (struts, wheel bearings, driveshafts, etc), and changed a few small things in my bike. I got there by necessity... getting new struts and control arm bushings installed on a car is big bucks ($500+), but the parts themselves were about $100. Same thing with brakes and wheel bearings. I was in college and just couldn't afford that stuff. Luckily I have a friend with a large, very well stocked garage and, even more luckily, he loves working on cars so much he gets excited when I drove over to fix something.

I've learned a ton from him.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by KarateChick »

I don't fix vacuum cleaners cause I dislike cleaning.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I don't know the first thing about working on cars or bikes, I leave that up to my husband because that's what he enjoys doing anyways. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and learning a little bit but I would never do it myself.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

My father collects and restores antique cars, the kind with gas lamps, so I was raised with a toothbrush in one hand and brass polish in the other. I feel comfortable doing routine maintenance on my cars and bike, but I might shy away from the internal stuff.
I have found Haynes manuals, with their big pictures and simple wording, to be immensely helpful. I also have a great coach/boyfriend with a large collection of metric tools.
'85 Yamaha FJ600

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

Yes, I am mechanically inclined. I am the son my dad never had...tom-boy :lol:

I was always interested in what dad was working on outside, so, since I was hanging around, I was the go-fer. That's where I learned everything I know. Watching him, helping him and when I was old enough, working on my own projects. So general maintenance on the trucks, fix-ups around the house, the yard, hunting, etc - I do.

Unfortunately, I was much faster and smoother when I had two hands. One hand for mech work sux!

+1 deedee! :righton:

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I can put together a set of IKEA shelves and build stuff with wood (nothing too complex, mind you), but as for engines and stuff, I was a babe in the woods.

I know how to check the oil and add gasoline...

BUT. Since buying my first BMW motorcycle and joining the local and very active group, I've gone from "I could probably do that" to doing the 6K service with guidance, to doing the 12k service mostly by myself (at a club tech day where there was help a shout away): I changed the oil, checked the valve clearance, synced the throttle bodies and changed the transmission/drive fluid. I needed help with some of the 'muscle' stuff like getting the spark plugs out and removing the gas tank to get to the air filter.

Not too shabby.

I'm still baffled by the 'HOW' things work which makes trouble shooting so much easier, but getting better at that, too.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by Veda »

I don't mind pulling apart things like the computer or the vacuum, but when it comes to my daily transportation I would rather let a professional do most of the work. The last thing I want to do is mess with the engine and then have it fall apart when I'm 100 miles from home, ya know?

I would like to know more about bikes/cars, but I don't want to practice on my own. I don't trust my work.

RozStar
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by RozStar »

I'm pretty much mechanically inclined, probably since I was an only girl with two older brothers. I had a mechanic do most of the work for my new (used) bike, but I'm gonna take a stab at installing the new ignition switch and I may try to clean out the gas tank myself. Since I like to wear my nails manicured, I just make sure I wear thick rubber gloves!