Ladies - Women's first bike choice

deedee1
Elite
Elite

Hi all I am new here and to riding.

#91 Unread post by deedee1 »

My hubby has been after me for years to learn to ride. I finally have decided to and he bought me a Kawasaki ninja 250. So far I love it. He has let me ride it three times so far. I know not much but I am just learning and wont ride without him on the road with me. I am taking the MSF course next month. (hubbys requirement for me to continue riding) Is there anyting else I should know or do? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Deedee

NJ-Pinay
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#92 Unread post by NJ-Pinay »

Besides all your riding gear, sounds like you should be ready to go after you pass the course. Keep us updated and send pictures!
Blue 05 GS500F - no mods yet!

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#93 Unread post by deedee1 »

I do have all my gear (hubby ownt let me ride without it event hough its blazing hot here). Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and of course jeans at all times as well as insurance and my permit. I will post pics as soon as I can get my camera working.

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#94 Unread post by KarateChick »

:welcome:

Sounds like you are doing well so far and have a super supporter in terms of your hubby. Have fun, enjoy the riding and kudos to both of you.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#95 Unread post by deedee1 »

Thanks so much for the welcome. My hubby is great and has been very patient with me. I am glad I have him to teach me.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here it goes.

I was out riding for the 4th time last night up and down the street. I finally mastered shifting into second and back down. So I started practicing shifting to third. Hubby took me out to a different road to have enough space to be able to get to speed. I was doing fine upshifting but when it came to down shifting I couldn't seem to figure out what gear I was in. Even my check for neutral from first wasn't working for me. What can I do to make sure I am in first when I stop besides the neutral check? Hubby ended up getting off his bike and checking mine out for me to see what gear it was in. :oops:

Also how do you all deal with the people out there that can't resist messing with a person on a motorcycle? I had a guy that kept pulling in behind me and gunning his engine yesterday. Hubby got mad and was reving his bike to let the guy know he was there. (He had gone ahead of me as I was suppose to try to keep up with him while shifting to third) I have to say it did make me very nervous and i put the bike away for the night. It hasn't put me off completely I will be going back out if I can get hubby out this evening.

Thanks for any responses and sorry again of this is the wrong place to post this.

Deedee

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#96 Unread post by KarateChick »

Hey deedee,

Feel free to start a new post/thread if you have questions. I'm sure the mods won't mind.

When I began riding, I got in the habit of counting up my gears as I went up & keeping track as I went down again. When you get more familiar with your bike, you should be able to tell what gear you are in based on engine noise relative to your speed and/or the tach reading. As for stopping, you should learn this in the msf course: get in the habit of stepping down on the shifter a few times as you come to a stop (tap-tap-tap with maybe an extra 1 or 2 taps to be sure) to ensure you are in 1st when stopped. I don't recommend sitting in neutral at a stop cause you never know when you may need to move quickly (which also reminds me, keep an eye on your mirrors of what's coming up behind you). All good stuff though which the instructors should go over in the course.

Neutral - doesn't your Kawi have that positive neutral finder from 1st btw?

M-C messers...well I won't tell you what I Really want to do to them. But stay calm and don't let them put you of of your comfort zone by doing something you wouldn't normally do. Then when it's safe to do so, change lanes or pull over & let them pass if there isn't another lane. And of course if there is, keep an eye out cause the a$$wipe will likely swerve over & scream by you with honking and rude gestures as soon as he can. Just remember, some people are jerks no matter what so just be careful out there and hopefully it won't put you off riding. (By way of example, a guy that left turned into me - scary near miss - gave ME the finger... :roll: )

P.S. - msf course next month? Lucky you! Next month (hope not but) may likely be the time I'll have to winterize my bike til next season :(
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#97 Unread post by deedee1 »

Yes it does have a positive neutral finder. That is how I make sure I have her in first.(Because it wont go into second when stopped) After doing that when I am not sure I put it back into first right away. The thing is I had thought I counted all the way down and was in first. Then hubby said it sounded like she was in second and I couldn't get it to shift. (didnt want to let the clutch goe and stall her out.) I will get it will take time and pratice but it is well worth it. I love riding even tough I have jsut started.

I am not going to let the idiots put me off but until I am more experienced and have taken my MSF course I think I will stick to my little street here.
I told my hubby that I just wanted to go in as it was getting dark anyway and that kind of made me shaky so better to put it away for the night then keep riding and make stupid mistakes. The idiot last night did finally blow by me when he realised hubby was just up ahead. Then he had the nerve to blow by my hubby and honk at him (hubby was sitting in the road and revving his engine to let the guy know he was there with me.) He thinks the guy thought I was alone out there which made it a little scarier to me.

But Like I said I love riding so far even if I haven't gone past third gear. :D I will get to where i am riding like a pro though it may take time but it is well worth it.

Duffy
Elite
Elite

#98 Unread post by Duffy »

Hi, I'm new here. I think this site is great. I also plan on owning a bike someday and I am already researching what would fit my needs and wants best. So far the BMW 650 GS fits the bill. Small, versatile, looks sharp and good reviews from women and begginer riders. Hopefully some day I will get the chance to post my pic riding my 'new' baby :biker:

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#99 Unread post by Candy750 »

I still count my gears - but it comes naturally now. I don't forget "where I am" anymore! The shift dow to first usually makes a "klunk" compared to the other gears as it passes neutral. I also agree with completing the shift down into 1st as you stop - that's how I was taught at MSF - both brakes and a downshift.

As for those assinine drives who try to intimidate you like that - I know exactly how you feel! When I first startedm I rode up and down my road, and around the little lake near my house. I can't understand how they couldn't figure out I was new!! I have red hair, and my ponytail alwys sticks out the back of my helmet. So I started kind of "making it known" to my neighbors and locals that it was ME on the black rebel withthe red pony tail, and to please cut me some slack.

Having your supportive hubby ahead or behind you might help - but I think it would be better if he followed. That way, he can deal with the close drivers, and sort of be your buffer to keep you cool.

I don't think there is much to be said for flipping them off, because they are just too stupid to realize the deal! Also, if they are your neighbors or locals, it just gives them fodder to be fools.

Don't worry - you'll be a great rider for your practice and hubby's help, and all the anxiety will be waaay behind you in the wind!!
Candy 750

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#100 Unread post by deedee1 »

I have gotten much better at figuring out which gear I am in. YAY. I started doing the counting thing and have not had to many problem figuring it out.

Hubby has started staying with me since then. He is either right beside me or a little in front. If he sees a car coming up behind he gets behind me and beep his horn letting me know theres some one there and to let the car know to go around as he motions them. He rides a Roadstar which is bigger than my ex250 so most people tend to leave him alone plus its loud. lol

I did take her out solo while hubby was out there working on the car.I was a bit nervous at first but when I got going and started the "drills" hubby has had me doing I was fine. He said next is cornering. Wish Me Luck.

DeeDee