LADIES - Women are allowed in other forums, too.

ArcticHarleyMan
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

LADIES - Women are allowed in other forums, too.

#1 Unread post by ArcticHarleyMan »

I hope you ladies don't mind, but I've been scanning your lounge. I see a few questions that have been posted and some of the topics are the same as in other forums. I'm not saying that the ladies here aren't able to answer the questions, but I, as a married man, invite you all to cruise around the other forums and maybe get answers from the opposite sex. For example, I don't think there are any ladies signed up to the Harley Owners' Discussion forum and I'm sure there are ladies here who own Harleys. For any new riders, there's also the Experienced Bikers' Forum. Lots of good ideas there too.
Anyhow, you have a good forum here. I'm going to try to get my wife to sign up. She's been riding for 4 years and I'm proud to see her handling her own scoot, maybe not as good as me (I've been riding for 50 years) but she's getting better all the time, and I can see her confidence growing with every mile.... and smile. We live in a small community and I think she is the only lady who rides so she doesn't get to talk ladies talk with other riders. I think she would enjoy chatting to and reading what you all have to say. I've put a few replies in other threads, but only to try help out as a 'brother biker".

Keep the shiney side up, your kneeze in the breeze and a smile for every mile. :santa:

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

Re: Women are allowed in other forums, too.

#2 Unread post by jct »

ArcticHarleyMan wrote: For example, I don't think there are any ladies signed up to the Harley Owners' Discussion forum and I'm sure there are ladies here who own Harleys.
Not true--- I own a Harley and I'm on the Harley Owners forum, as a matter of fact, I'm the post above yours on the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

I honestly think most if not all the women who post on these forums scan them all, I know I do. But the "Ladies Forum" is a nice courtesy and I, for one really appreciate it. A relatively large number of the posts are started by new riders -- and many women who start riding are coming at this from a different standpoint than men and sometimes with very little support from those around them -- see those posts about nasty looks, etc? For many women this forum gives them support and encouragement with a good dose of "yes, it's challenging to learn, but you can and you will" -- instead of "I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 6, etc." Once you're riding it's a different deal and I think that is when women here start to migrate out more.

This is not to mention the numerous posts on how to find motorcycle gear (almost all are cut-down men's versions) that fits. As you can imagine, any thread like that on a more "mixed" forum would soon be liberally filled with useless, borderline risque comments.

I really don't think women "hide" in here...

JT
2007 H-D XL883 Low

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

First off, we don't really need an invitation from you - as forum members we already quite aware of what else is available to us. Also, what on earth does your marital status have to do with anything? Should we be afraid of a single man inviting us anywhere? (IMHO) That's kinda weird...

If you were truly observant, then you would have noticed women responding to and starting threads in all areas of these forums. Once in awhile a question is repeated in the Ladies' Lounge so that the OP can get responses from a more specific group of people.

I'm sure your intentions are, um, thoughtful, but really... we're not timid people afraid of venturing out of the "Ladies' Lounge". We do traverse these forums quite well on our own.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Shorts »

Loonette wrote:First off, we don't really need an invitation from you - as forum members we already quite aware of what else is available to us. Also, what on earth does your marital status have to do with anything? Should we be afraid of a single man inviting us anywhere? (IMHO) That's kinda weird...

If you were truly observant, then you would have noticed women responding to and starting threads in all areas of these forums. Once in awhile a question is repeated in the Ladies' Lounge so that the OP can get responses from a more specific group of people.

I'm sure your intentions are, um, thoughtful, but really... we're not timid people afraid of venturing out of the "Ladies' Lounge". We do traverse these forums quite well on our own.

Cheers,
Loonette

Somewhat condescending invitation from a new guy considering us "girls" are normally all over the boards. You'd think he'd know that by now since he's been scowering and posting to all threads great and small for the last 5hrs.

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#5 Unread post by jct »

Shorts wrote: Somewhat condescending invitation from a new guy considering us "girls" are normally all over the boards. You'd think he'd know that by now since he's been scowering and posting to all threads great and small for the last 5hrs.
LOL, that's the irony, right? This is the attitude that makes a "Ladies Lounge" useful.

JT
2007 H-D XL883 Low

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

:wink:

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#7 Unread post by Loonette »

Shorts wrote:...from a new guy... he's been scowering and posting to all threads great and small for the last 5hrs.
Good point - I didn't even check into that, but you're right. Honestly, I do think that he thinks he's being cool - some guys, through their upbringing or whatever, feel that it's their job to "help" and "fix" things for women, even when we're not asking. Oh well... hopefully the hint has been taken.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: LADIES - Women are allowed in other forums, too.

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

ArcticHarleyMan wrote:I hope you ladies don't mind, but I've been scanning your lounge.
Ooh! A stalker!
ArcticHarleyMan wrote: ...I'm not saying that the ladies here aren't able to answer the questions...
Maybe you're not saying that, but that's what I'm HEARING. :frusty:
ArcticHarleyMan wrote:... I, as a married man, invite you all to cruise around the other forums and maybe get answers from the opposite sex.
Thank you sooo much for your kind invite. I don't think any of us would EVER have thought to visit the other forums.
ArcticHarleyMan wrote:... For example, I don't think there are any ladies signed up to the Harley Owners' Discussion forum and I'm sure there are ladies here who own Harleys. For any new riders, there's also the Experienced Bikers' Forum. Lots of good ideas there too.
Really? Do you realize that the lady riders here, frequently post in those other forums??
ArcticHarleyMan wrote:...Anyhow, you have a good forum here. I'm going to try to get my wife to sign up.
We are so grateful you approve.
ArcticHarleyMan wrote:...... She's been riding for 4 years and I'm proud to see her handling her own scoot, maybe not as good as me (I've been riding for 50 years) but she's getting better all the time, and I can see her confidence growing with every mile.... and smile. We live in a small community and I think she is the only lady who rides so she doesn't get to talk ladies talk with other riders. I think she would enjoy chatting to and reading what you all have to say. I've put a few replies in other threads, but only to try help out as a 'brother biker".

Keep the shiney side up, your kneeze in the breeze and a smile for every mile. :santa:
Do you realize that women are often BETTER riders than men? Because they must use skill to maneuver heavy machines where they need them to be instead of being able to depend on muscle. My guess is that your wife is a better rider than you give her credit for.

Check out my BLOG: viewtopic.php?t=10290

Or Blues2Cruise: viewtopic.php?t=17862

Or Shorts: viewtopic.php?t=17150

Or SilveradoGirl: viewtopic.php?t=10598

We're no babes in the woods.

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: LADIES - Women are allowed in other forums, too.

#9 Unread post by KarateChick »

Yeah, I'm thinking don't let AHM rile anyone here or in general. One of his posts yesterday:
ArcticHarleyMan wrote:Post Title: When riding through gravel reconstruction

Post Itself: Do you ride with your feet on or off the pegs at 30kph?
Then after a few answers from some who figured this was a legit question and made some comments,
ArcticHarleyMan wrote:Well, so far 3 out of 4 do it right, not counting me....etc, etc, blah, blah, blah...
viewtopic.php?t=17995

So you guys pegged this thread bang on. (He's here to impart great wisdom to everyone :wink: we're a tuff crowd sometimes...)
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

ArcticHarleyMan
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by ArcticHarleyMan »

Loonette wrote:
Shorts wrote:...from a new guy... he's been scowering and posting to all threads great and small for the last 5hrs.
Good point - I didn't even check into that, but you're right. Honestly, I do think that he thinks he's being cool - some guys, through their upbringing or whatever, feel that it's their job to "help" and "fix" things for women, even when we're not asking. Oh well... hopefully the hint has been taken.

Cheers,
Loonette
#1 I don't "scower", but maybe I was SCOURING.
#2. As for being here for 5 hours, you're probably right. My scoot is parked for the winter and I can't sleep tonight. And I'm retired, so why not scour, as you say, the boards to see what's going on with other riders, BOTH male & female.
#3. I don't particularily think I'm being "cool", whatever that implies.
#4. As for "helping", why not help? Is it forbidden to offer advice?
#5. I have no intention of "fixing" anything
#6. I mentioned the length of time I have been riding only to give my suggestions creedence. Would you rather take advice as being sound from a person who just bought a bike yesterday and has only ridden it once, or from a person with 50 years riding experience, having never crashed or been even given a citation?
#7. I do admit, and I thank whoever it was that pointed it out to me, that there are women on the other boards. I just don't bother with the names, etc., only the content of the posts. I am not gender biased.

So, in light being slammed on this board, I will not offer anymore suggestions here.

Hint taken (tucks tail & runs, knowing better than to mess with a pack of women). :oops: :santa: