Rockster Blog...

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#11 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

7 Days to departure.

Well, my 16 year old daughter and I have been talking about doing a car road trip, just the two of us for two summers now.

Since she has proven to be such an excellent pillion rider, we have now decided that we will make it a motorcycle trip. What an adventure!!

We are registered to attend the AMA Women and Motorcycling Conference, outside Atlanta, GA. The plan is to depart from Baltimore on Tuesday morning and take two days to ride down. My hope is to do Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway for the first half, while I'm fresh from home, and then slab the remainder. Since SD and the BRP roughly parallel I-81, we can always 'bail' to that if time becomes an issue.

I've already got tickets to see the GA Aquarium and may ride the Dragon while at the event... we'll see about that.

You can bet that I'll be posting up an account of our adventure!

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#12 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I'll have to put that conference on the calender for next year. I hope you two have an awesome ride. Im looking forward to hearing all about it.

LIONLADYr1150r
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by LIONLADYr1150r »

Just the barest beginnings of the tale of our ride from MD to Athens, GA.

Departed Reisterstown at about 4:30pm in light rain. Goal was to make it to Front Royal, VA before stopping. Rain continued and eased and started again and eased as we rode west toward Frederick, MD on I-70. Traffic was generally light.

Having the Autocom set up so I could check in with Eleanor and make sure she was okay helped keep me from focusing too much on myself and all the "what if's" that threatened. I know that kids are so good at picking up the adult's mood and fears.

We listened to the 70's on XM Satellite Radio, and then to Comedy USA... Phyllis Diller, Jeff Foxworthy and others.

Stopped at the Waffle House in Frederick. YUM! Something warm to eat and hot to drink. Funny but folks just seem to come out of the woodwork and want to talk motorcycles when you show up on a motorcycle.

Esecially when its two females on a loaded for the road bike. The cook owns an HD UltraGlide and knew of the AMA Women's Event... then one of the younger servers wanted to know about my bike. A good time all around.

We finished dinner and stopped for gas before continuing. . . turned south on I-15 thru Harpers Ferry and then 340. Travelled through Berryville, VA and on south. Two lane roads beyond that. Rain, and getting darker. About 15 miles north of our destination the rain picked up again. I had to stop at a Sheetz and take time to give my face shield a good cleaning, it had gotten darker, SCARY.

We noticed lightening bugs on the quiet stretches of road... dancing blinking lights in the fields.

The all day rain seemed to keep the deer in place. Didn't see ANY four legged creatures at all in fact.

Bunked at the Super8. No included breakfast, but clean and dry. First leg complete and that much closer to our destination. I taught Eleanor how to unlatch my side cases and how to tie the 'quick release' loop in the Helen2Wheels straps so she can help get us off the bike and into the room faster.

Pam

Lion_Lady

#14 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Safe at home! Total miles: 1565.4. Just shy of 27 hours riding. It was HOT in Athens, and the heat just sucked all desire to get geared up to explore for curvy roads right out of us.

My digital camera crapped out so I don't have all the pictures I might have. Got to get to Ritz Camera... bought a disposable camera and used that for part of the trip.

Seeing all the women riders from around the world was amazing.

Pam

Lion_Lady

#15 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

What an amazing way to improve cornering...

Rode the length of Skyline Drive (with dd on back). The ENFORCED 35 mph speed limit and very low traffic, I could just focus on being smooth.
All those curves. The repetition. It just got easier. Adjust speed, look, lean, throttle on. I got to REALLY hanging out and laying the bike over.

First overlook:

The occasional 'woo!' from my daughter was an affirmation that she was enjoying it too.

Stopping at little hogback overlook:

Big Meadows:

For my birthday, hubby signed me up for the Advanced Riding Clinic, by Lee Parks... the NEXT level!!!

Pam

Lion_Lady

300 miles through Virginia...

#16 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

September 20, 2006.
Man, am I whomped! It was sunny when I got up yesterday and so I decided I'd do a circuit and pick up a few scavenger hunt items that I'm missing. Our BMW club does an annual scavenger hunt. You are assigned a number card and the pick up list. This year we're supposed to spell out the "tour's" full name: Bayerische Motoren Werke BikersOf Metropolitan Washington Great Tour. Each word is a different category.

I figured I'd capture a couple counties I'm missing (for BikersOf) and two rivers (for Bayerische). I planned to visit Orange County and Rappahannock Co., VA. Also intended to get the Rappahannock River and the Hazel River.

When I went out to check my tire pressure, I heard a disconcerting sound as I unscrewed the cap on the front valve... "sssssss." Hmm. Not good. Check pressure: 29 lbs. Also not good. And the ssss wouldn't stop. Grrrr. Okay, I fiddle with the little needle thingy to no avail. Grrrr. Plan B. Add some extra air and head down to Bob's. As I gear up, I notice that it has gotten overcast and rain looks kind of iminent. Well, this just sucks.

Okay, I still need to get the tire looked at. (Yes, I know I probably could have gone to a tire place nearby, but I have NEVER had to deal with this before, so I go where I know I'll get help and that there's back up if something big needs done.)

Head out. I enjoy using my newly learned turning skills. WHAT FUN!!! Until I end up behind a slow moving TRACTOR!! On the most fun, curvy road of the ride. SUCKY SUCKY SUCKY. I entertain myself by weaving back and forth in my lane behind. Then an A$$hat in a sportscar decides to pass me AND the tractor on a curve on a double yellow. YIKES!!!

Arrive at Bob's without further incident (except for having to put on my rain jacket to fend off a serious sprinkle). Darryl the service advisor walks out and has a look. "All you need is a valve stem tool." Hang on. (Did I mention how much I love the folks at Bob's?") He goes inside and in two minutes, comes out with a little silver doo-hickey that he uses to tighten things up. Voila!! No more "sssss." Check pressure, I'm good at 36 lbs.

Now. Its after 10 am. The sky seems to be brightening. Do I go or not? Darryl seems to think I'm stupid if I don't go. "The rain is coming later today." Says Ashton, the sales manager. Okay, it does seem idiotic to just go back home.

I fill up the tank. The weather is cool and overcast. Since I've got my sumer mesh jacket on, I decide it is propably smart to leave the raincoat on to block the wind. Head southwest, around the DC Beltway then onto I-95. At this hour a bit thick but moving well.

Just before Fredericksburg is the Rappahannock River bridge. I turn on flashers, and pull over, carefully watching my left mirror so I don't throw a leg into traffic. Shut off, sidestand down, and step around to the out of traffic side of my bike to position my number on my luggage rack. Focus, "CLICK."

Put everything away, check traffic, mount, start up and smoothly accelerate into traffic.

Take exit 130B west. This is a local road, traffic lights, etc. A woman in a van tries to merge into my lane and I scare her back into her place with my awesome air horn. W00t!

Zooom. Along Rt 3. I have the county seat of Orange, VA as my waypoint. But as I come up to the traffic light for the turn, I realize I just passed a county line sign. Check GPS: 20 miles to Orange. Ack! Recalculate: the Hazel River is west of here, and at some point I'm going to cross another county line. Retarget for Hazel River.

The GPS finds a wonderful windy two lane road, called Zoar Rd. The countryside is magnificently lush green. There is little traffic and I can just hum along and enjoy the scenery. Oh, and the curves are FUN! I start hanging off the inside and really leaning on the tight ones. WooHooo!

Hazel River. Do the picture drill: Signal, pull over, check mirror, shut off, dismount. Number out and attached, focus, "click." Virginia is wonderful in that there is a little green waterway identification sign on EVERY single bridge over every single rill, run or creek in the state, I swear.

Next I pass the expected Orange County line sign. I take the picture and realize I'm hungry. Culpepper is the next bigger town. I stop at the Wendys for a chicken sandwich. Hmmm, I'm not far from Sperryville, VA and 211 one of the 'gateways' to Skyline Drive.

I don't have to think long about riding THIS:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....140591&iwloc=A

Sperryville is to the right. That tortured spaghetti line is 211.Through what is known as Thornton's Gap. I rode it on my first Rockster demo. I've ridden it since on my Rock, but not with a huge amount of confidence. It has always been just a bit of a white knuckle ride for me because of those very aggressive curves. Sportbikers from all around the DC metro area have turned that stretch of road into a raceway of late, but the LEOs have finally clamped down hard on the practice because there were so many wrecks.

Well. I did it, and it was an absolute BLAST!!! I hung off and LEANED! What fun!!!

At the park gate, it took a moment to dig out my wallet and my Park Pass. Then I was off on another curve ride. And being a weekday afternoon, I had the whole road to myself.

The early trees are just starting to turn colors. I spotted a splash of yellow here, a dab of red there. Nearly everything is still green but the changes are starting.

I stopped for pictures at two overlooks.

The temperature could not have been more perfect. The weather steadily improved as the afternoon wore on. I could see heavy clouds off to the east, but I'd missed their visitations on the ridge.

I left the park at a bit after 3:30. According to "Mrs. Peal" the GPS, I'd be getting home at a little after 5pm. Woo! A long day, but so fun. Dialed onto rt 340 heading northeast. Traffic was light. I've ridden this route regularly. It travels through farm country dotted with newer developements. Still lovely and mostly uncrowded.

When I finally pulled into the garage, my previously injured knee ached, my butt hurt and the sides of my head felt like mush from my sunglasses and the helmet. Total miles: 324. Not a bad day.

Pam

Lion_Lady

The VOID II and a White Knuckle Ride...

#17 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Okay, when both halves of a marriage ride, a HUGE amount of fun can be had, but there is also stress and obligation.

Our local BMW club (BMW Bikers of Metro-Washington) is known for a high percentage of Iron Butt Rally finishers and other long distance rally riders. Recently, the regulars on our internet forum have gotten my husband, Chaz's interest peaked... there is a 12 hour rally out of Lynchburg, VA, called "Rally: The VOID" This was the second year it has been run. http://www.rallythevoid.org/index.html

Personally, I know that there is NO WAY I'd ever care to put myself to the unltimate endurance test of 11,000 miles in 10 days. I figure that being able to ride 1000 miles in a day would be test enough.

At any rate, Chaz registered to ride, and I decided to ride down with him on Friday, and particpate in the after rally dinner on Saturday. I could see him off at O'Dark thirty then explore the hills and roads around Lynchburg.

Chaz had his route plan all figured out: As it happens the rally bonii included about a dozen points in NC from his childhood: His boyhood home, where his mom was born, where his folks met... so his route was set by fate. He had a cut off/turnaround point chosen and all was set.

The Pre-ride meeting was at 5 am with start time set for 5:30. We walked out to find "Clifford" the big red motorcycle (1994 BMW R1100RS) covered in frost, YIKES!!:

Well, heated grips and lots of layers, plus installing the tall windscreen helped.

They set off at 5:30, and I wandered around worrying for a while, had some breakfast, then went back to the room to take a nap (we'd only gotten about 4 hours of sleep the night before).

I woke up and decided to take a leisurely ride over to the BRP. If the leaf peepers weren't too thick I'd see how far south I could get. Discovered that 501 is a fun road.

Now, on his way around NC, Clifford developed a problem with not wanting to start. Chaz thought he fixed the problem after spending an hour and a half in diagnosis, but it recurred and he realized that he was now uncertain whether the wiring system would go up in smoke and decided just bail out... fortunately he was 15 miles from his sister's house. . .

I spoke to chaz after the first 'incident' and he said he'd fixed the problem and was just heading back becuase he had no time to get any more points. He said he'd be back at 4. My cell phone battery died after that.

THEN, chaz left 4 messages on my cell phone with various updates. The last being that he was sitting in his sister's kitchen and could I please ride home and get his dad's pick up truck to come get him and the disabled Clifford.

I pulled in to the hotel at 3:45 and was met by one of the rally masters, who told me that Chaz's bike was broke. I interupted saying, "he fixed it, and he'll be here soon." (Chaz hadn't told the rally master that he'd broken a SECOND time.)

I'm in the room freshening up when the phone rings. Finally I learn that Chaz is dead in the water as it were. This is at 4:45pm.

NOTE: I've now got to check out of the hotel room, figure out how to stow chaz's side cases and back pack, and psyche myself up for a 4+ hour ride back to Reisterstown... best guess of the GPS is 250 miles. As I run around, I keep thinking what a godsend it was that I chose NOT to push my day's riding while chaz was 'rallying' - I never would have had the stamina to make it home if I had.

I say my good byes to my fellow rallyers and depart The Quality Inn at 6:30. I rolled into the garage at home at almost midnight. TiredtiredTIRED and cold.

I had been feeling a bit guilty that I hadn't offered my electric liner to chaz for the rally, but was sooo glad I didn't, because I'd have had to quit at about Orange, VA. My winter riding jacket is warm, but when you're riding at 60-70 mph in 45 degree temps, it gets COLD.

The stooopid GPS routed me "fastest route" by cutting around Charlottesville - VIA two lane DEER ROADS (did I mention that the sun went down about 5 minutes after I left Lynchburg proper?) - evidence of a deer hit at least every two miles. I hung on and prayed that no forest rodents would step out in front of me.

Somewhere northeast of Charlottesville, I spied a young bambi standing on the left shoulder, right across from a not yet occupied new housing developemt. By that time, I'd travelled over 10 miles on said two lane and had a stack up of cars behind me... DUH!... I quickly dodged into the turn out (ALMOST dropping the bike) to recheck the GPS directives, thinking that I was only going to be travelling a few more miles on this road. Nope! I was cutting off a huge chunk of miles by joining up with I-95 someplace far north of Fredericksburg. AAAAck! Too late, of course to turn around.

But I DID realize that joining up on the BACK of a pack of cars on this road, meant I could go faster, and had the cars to deflect deer.

Near Orange, I stopped and put on the electric liner, but managed to set off WITHOUT connecting it!!! Rode another hour before stopping and fixing THAT. (Thats when I spied the sign saying 30 some miles to Sperryville) I then re-routed to find the fastest route to I-95.

Most of the rest of the ride was uneventful, up I-95 from Fredericksburg. I stopped at one of the VA rest areas, and ate a Luna Bar and had some sports drink in the ladies bathroom (heck, it was WARM in there).

I took I-295 rather than go all the way around either side of the Beltway. Was not sure my stamina would last that distance. The turnoff from the Beltway after the Wilson Bridge was fun in the dark. NOT! A single lane track, amidst the construction, lined with solid concrete jersey barriers and barrels... oh, and there was a CAR riding my tail.

Made it safely home. Took a long, warming shower and crawled into bed.

After a SNAFU with FIL's pick up truck, "Clifford" is still resting comfortably in a warm garage in Reidsville, NC and Chaz is here in the kitchen pooring over his maintenance manual trying to trouble shoot what the problem is.

Pam

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#18 Unread post by Shorts »

Great reads Lion_Lady :cheers:

Lion_Lady

April 2008 - Cape Fear 1000 Rally

#19 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Long Distance "Mini" Rally. An oxymoron if there ever was one... 9 1/2 hours on the bike to collect as many points as possible and make it back.

After my crappy first stop while riding the VOID last year (broke a helmet side plate switching face shields, which colored the rest of my ride stressed and aggravated) I figured I'd give this rally thing another chance. I didn't really want to wait until next October to do it. Hubby went on and on about how much fun playing "Stump the Rally Master (Jim Bain)" was last year at the Cape Fear rider's meeting. So, I figured might as well make Cape Fear Rally my second try.

We rode from Baltimore to Wilmington, NC on Friday, arriving at the "lovely" and newly "renovated" Green Tree Hotel at around 5 pm. (The place was on the dumpy side, but it had fresh exterior paint. )

For the rally, I had a conservative 10,000 point route mapped out. I just wanted to finish without penalties and not suck. Chaz opted to take the penalty points and leave an hour early. I had no grand illusions of placing near the top, so I planned to leave at 6am with no penalty points.

Saturday morning, as I was getting some breakfast, the Rally Master's phone rings... I hear half the exchange, then I hear Jim ask the caller if they want to talk to me. (WTF?) ... Evidently my husband's bike, Clifford, the big red motorcycle, chose I 40 headed east, to spit out his oil sight glass, along with 3 of 4 qts of oil. By the time Chaz got the bike shut off it was making very expensive noises. But Chaz and Jim assured me that they would take care of things and I needed to ride. Unfortunately, I didn't get underway until almost 20 minutes later than anyone else.

Saturday's weather was beautiful. Sunny and not as hot as Friday. I decided en route to add a stop - since I knew that adding bonii wasn't gonna happen on the return. Half Moon Volunteer Fire Station. As I pull up, another rider is leaving, and a two-up pair is there as well. The garage doors are going up. Woot! A photo with equipment, instead of the bare front of the building! Cool!

Snap my photo, and decide its bright enough to switch face shields... Aw crap!! Broke a sideplate. But not as completely as on the VOID (I must have fractured the plastic during my last). . . I heave a sigh, and used some duck tape to hold things in place. Then I buttoned everything up and got back on board. I hit my first loonnng stretch of road, which gave me time to consider Sunday, and stress over it: Riding two up - with someone my size on the back. 80% chance of rain back home (I HATE riding in the rain), how bad is Clifford...

Did pretty well the next several stops. Made it to Cedar Island via a FUN stretch of road. Two lanes across marshy flats for 8 miles or so. You can see cars way in the distance. Got to open Gryndl up and ride! I stopped at the Cedar Island ferry terminal (we can earn progressively more points for each ferry ride), but two hours was too long to be off the road. I grabbed a ferry schedule for the area ferries and noted that one that I'd already considered was included. Noted the departure times...

My low fuel light came on on the return ride across the flat... no gas for MILES. Ooops. Nearest gas was too far off my route, so I gritted my teeth and hoped I didn't run dry before I found some on my path. Finally, Smyrna. Now I'm realizing that time is becoming more important. Theres a car pumping gas on one side of the dual pump and there's a pickup parked on the other side with a dog inside and no sign of the driver... the truck sits. And sits. At last the driver walks casually out and gets inside.

As I pump, I note that I'm starting to wear down physically. I realize I haven't eaten anything yet. 8 hours on the bike Friday, and now 6 hours on board Sat. I don't have a multi-day butt, even on the Sargent saddle. I finish pumping gas and go inside to pay (no pay at the pump here in Smyrna). There's a cherubic little girl inside with her mom buying a few snacks. Blond curls. I smile and say hi, and she ducks behind mom's legs. As I turn around after paying, a little bitty white haired lady walks in and says to me, "BMW. Phshh. I've got hog bites older than you." ?? I say to her that I don't like the way Harley's ride, and that my bike is the only thing that fits my long legs. She was slightly appeased by this, and I head out the door.

After a snack, I headed on to the Cherry Branch ferry terminus. Got there at 12:30. Just in time for the next departure. . . Wait. There's no boat at the dock, and only two other cars. Dig out schedule. Criminy!!! I misremembered the time. Not the 3/4 hour but the 1/4 hour. I missed it by 15 minutes and am 40 minutes early for the next. Dammit Dammit Dammit. Turn the bike around and move on. . . New Bern. As I ride, I realize that I've still got a long ride to get back to the hotel. Fatige and posterior discomfort are taking over my brain capacity. Coming into New Bern, it is a moment before it comes to me that the red traffic light I'm approaching requires me to do something. Oh, yeah. STOP!!! Gawd, I'm tired. I need to make this my last bonus.

Snap the picture and begin my return trip. Sitting at a traffic light outside the main gate of Camp Lejune(?) I'm first in line, waiting paitently, looking at the cars and people. This intersection is BUSY with traffic. I catch movement/sound to my right. I look and there's an asshat fellow rally-er in the lane with me. He lifts his shield to say hi. I ignore him.

The light turns green, he guns away from me and I watch him bobble into the upcoming left turn lanes for an instant. But the left turn light is red. He blows past the stopped cars, brakes hard, and makes an illegal U-turn to catch the green light from the other way. I can only shake my head. As I ride on, it dawns on me that Asshat lane split to join me at the front of the line. I'm thinking he recognized me as a fellow CF1000 rider and took advantage of the connection.

After watching his u-turn maneuver, I really get pissed. Confirms for me that there's no point trying to do well AND ride sanely when I'm competing against the likes of that. Yup. What a stupid way to waste a beautiful day's ride.

On 17, heading back to Wilmington, I've got 60 some more miles to go to get back. I relax and determine to enjoy the rest of the ride. Pretty country. Pass thru a small town or two. Here, there's a gaggle of old men sitting on a front porch on Main St. There, a church rummage sale. Kids riding bicycles in shorts and flip flops. The wind picks up and is gusting from both directions. it bounces me back and forth in my lane. I find it kind of fun to work the bike against it, since there's little traffic to worry about.

At Wilmington, I somehow misread a sign and end up heading WEST on 17 instead of thru town. I have to go 4 miles before a chance to exit. Grrr. I eyeball several "official vehicles only" cross-overs, but they're not paved. A sudden vision of mis-handling my bike on one of those in my state, forces me to just ride on to the exit. I'm tired and just want to get back quickly and without incident. Make the turnaround at last. Final venture in traffic and then I turn into the hotel parking lot.

Chaz is there waiting. I see Clifford on a trailer. Chaz cheers. I grind my teeth at his ridiculous exhuberance. I'm miserable. Tired. Sore. The last thing I want is a a maniac cheerleader. I ignore him and ride on to the finsh line/check in station. I can barely think. I answer questions. The official hands me a sticky note and tells me something I need to do with the information on it. I ride back to where Chaz is.

At last I can get off the bike. He is still cheering me. I tell him to shut up or I'm gonna hit him. He is crestfallen. In a fog of exhaustion, I dismount and pull my helmet and gloves off. All I want to do is get off my feet/butt. I unclick my tankbag and pick it up. Chaz offers to carry stuff inside for me. I hand him stuff and walk up to our room, where I peel off the rest of my gear and try to get my brain functioning.

The next hour or so is blurry in my mind. I remember sitting on the bed, going thru the rally pack and my pictures. I look at the sticky note which has my ending odometer mileage and know I need to write it down someplace. Where? Hmmm, there's a sheet here with a line for "ending odometer" I start to fill the page out, but Chaz points out that that is for the scorer to fill out. I'm confused. I put aside the sticky note and scoring sheet. I should have asked him where to put the mileage.

I fill in the information on all the bonii that I'm claiming. I can't figure out what mileage I'm supposed to put down for the Rally Sticker bonus and the Ride Log bonus, so I leave those blank... In my misfiring brain that is the right thing to do, so I didn't even ask. At the scoring table, that cost me 1500 points. (Others left more on the table for the same omission.) I'm annoyed. But I also know that I wanted to go and ask someone what I was supposed to do with the info on the sticky note, but decided not to.

In retrospect, riding down on Thursday and having a day off the bike probably would have made a difference in how well I did. But I also realize that I'm just not willing enough to endure discomfort and put in the long miles to be competitive. I do love hanging out with the folks and hearing the tales, so I'll no doubt continue to be rally 'groupie' and attend the post-ride dinner when Chaz rides.

P

Lion_Lady

Cape Fear 1000 - Impact!

#20 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

ONE YEAR LATER - Cape Fear 1000 (April 2009)

Guitardad and were on our way to Wilmington, NC for the Cape Fear Rally on Friday. We were making decent time, I was feeling surprisingly "fresh" for the distance we'd covered (the exercise IS working!).

Anyhow... We were traveling south on I-95. Its 4 lanes, divided by a wide grassy median. Traffic was thick (about 2-3 car lengths spacing) and moving along at about 80 mph. Hubby usually leads, he's a ROTTEN follower . That way, I don't have to kill him when we get where we're going.

We ride staggered, with about a bike length or two between us. He'll take the "traffic" side where ever we are on the highway. Our lane change pattern is for him to move from the left side of the right lane, to the right side of the left lane, and I'll swing over from the right side of the right lane, to the left side of the left lane.

About 20 miles north of Rocky Mount, NC, we were (temporarily) traveling in the right lane, with chaz ahead by a bike length, in the left wheel track. We came up on a slower moving car, and there was space to switch to the left lane.

Chaz swung left and just dodged a small piece of wood... I was changing lanes behind him, and he obscured my line of sight (my fault). As I cleared him, I spotted the 2 foot piece of landscaping timber, 4-5 inches in diameter, rolling/tumbling in my path. I had just enough time to grip the bars firmly, push down on the foot pegs, and aim to hit it as straight as possible.

WHAM! The bars bobbled left/right, and then 700+ pounds of momentum and gyroscopic force took over. The bike straightened and continued. I was amazed. But there was something wrong. I'd squeezed the clutch, rather than braking, to reduce speed after hitting the lumber. Now I applied the brakes gingerly. They worked, but the front wheel felt "heavy." By this time, I'd slowed enough that traffic was zinging by me on my right and there was no way I was going to make it across to the shoulder. At least there was a bit of shoulder on the median side. I brought the bike to a stop, out of the travel lanes.

Chaz watched this unfold in his mirror, and stopped about 100 yards beyond me. He walked back to where I was sitting on the bike. I didn't have pavement to put my sidestand on, and had to wait for him to pick up a scrap to put under it.

The front tire seemed undamaged, but it had lost a significant amount of air. We both carry electric air compressors for tire repair. Pulled mine out and tried to inflate the tire. The pressure went up a bit, but no further.

By that time, a county sheriff had pulled up behind to see. They used their lights and car to get us over to the shoulder safely, then departed. At least the shoulder was very wide. Unfortunately, we were still more than 2 hours from our destination. We pulled out the air compressor again, but that's when I noticed the dent:

No wonder it wouldn't hold air! (Or so I thought)

So, out come the cell phones. (I should mention at this point that trying to use a phone on the shoulder of an interstate highway at 4 in the afternoon, is kind of like trying to do so in the middle of a rock concert.) I knew that our 17 year old son would be home on the computer. I called him and got him to post a "help" thread on our BMW club forum with my cell phone number... then I called Progressive, while hubby called AMA to arrange a MoTow (more about THAT ) My phone rang within a few minutes. A club member (actually the club's secretary, Ron) offering to help. I told him where we were, what had happened, and what we needed.

AMA couldn't get us a tow for FOUR hours. We were still over a mile and a half from the next exit. And by the looks of things, there was anything useful there, except less danger from traffic. I got back on the bike and limped along the shoulder. I prayed the tire would stay on the rim. I got to the top of the exit ramp. The helpful highway sign said right .2 mile to a Mobile station, and left .8 mile to camping. It didn't look like there was an OPEN gas station to the right. Chaz scouted both directions. The Mobile station was closed, but it was close. We limped there.

Meanwhile, Ron had found a Kawasaki dealership in Rocky Mount that was willing to keep my bike overnight. And THEN he found a replacement wheel at the BMW dealer in Raleigh, NC. I got phone numbers and made calls directly.

When we told the gentleman at the Kaw dealer how long before we'd be there, he offered to come get us - with his personal vehicle/trailer - when he got off work. It was 5 pm by this time, and when we called the AMA tow guy that we wouldn't need a tow after all. He was relieved.

Lorenzo arrived shortly before 6. His trailer even had a front wheel cradle! We got my crippled bike loaded and I rode with Lorenzo.
Lorenzo and I talked on our short trip. He is retired miliatary, from MD. Been in NC for a year. He loves to ride and has been in the situation of stranded on the side of the road. Helping other riders is just what is right. (I failed to mention the 30+ "loud pipes save lives" crew that rumbled past as we stood on the side of the road.) He's given up riding with the folks from around Rocky Mount - all talk and flash, but few skills.

He's got a Concourse and puts serious miles on it. I recommended that he hook up with the guys/gas on sport-touring.net for some folks with a clue to ride with.

So, we arrive at Kawasaki of Rocky Mount and unload my sad motorcycle and wheel it inside the dealership. Then I've got to figure out what I need to have with me that will fit in Chaz's saddlebags. Yes, we're continuing to Wilmington. Chaz had a rally to ride!

I geared up and climbed on board "Clifford" - Chaz's '94 BMW R1100RS - behind him. Hmmm. Not a lot of legroom back here. But it beats walking!! I waved to Lorenzo as we headed off. The first 40 minutes weren't too bad. I noticed that Chaz's shocks were going kinda soft. Then, once the sun went down, I started to get chilly. My riding jacket wasn't very windproof and the windproof/warm layer I had on underneath wasn't quite up to the task. I tucked in my arms and hunkered down. . . two hours. By the time we got into Wilmington, my knees were screaming to be straightened!! (I've got a 34" inseam and the pillion seat/pegs are obviously designed for someone much shorter than me). Finally, I stuck my legs out and stretched to the ground at a stop light. Whew!

Checked into the hotel, then Chaz had to check in with the Rally Master. Its after 9pm by that time, and the "Rider's Meeting" was at 6pm. Chaz got a "private" meeting. About 12 folks from our local BMW club were riding in the rally. Eight, I think, were in the 10 hour, the rest are on the road running the 24 hour rally. http://www.capefear1000.com/

While stranded, I'd texted one of the other rally riders (BMWBMW club president, Tina) what had happened, and she'd texted me for an update shortly before we checked in. So, I went to visit her.

Once we had made it safely to Wilmington, I had to deal with making things happen so I could get my bike back to Baltimore on Sunday: I needed a car to drive to Raleigh to get the replacement wheel, and a co-rider to get the car back to Wilmington, while I rode my repaired motorcycle. While chatting with Tina about needing a car and someone to ride with me, she mentioned another club member was looking for a reason not to ride the rally. I texted him. He agreed. Next, to find a car. At the worst, there was an Enterprise Rental, half a mile away.

Chaz had his alarm set for O'dark thirty. He got himself ready and kissed me good-bye at around 5:15 (He was travelling with the SPOT tracker, so I didn't worry too badly about him.) I realized I couldn't get back to sleep, so I figured I'd wander up to rally headquarters and see about getting the use of a vehicle.

One of the rally staffers offered the use of his! So, I woke up Mike (my volunteer) and we got ready to hit the road. The BMW dealership opens at 9am. The ride out there was (according to the GPS) about 2 hours. Mike met me at the car, and after a stop at Starbucks, we headed out. Made it to Capitol BMW-Triumph in Raleigh at 9:05. The service manager had gotten stuck in traffic so we had to wait.

Now, I'll add that my bike is a limited edition model R1150R Rockster. Only 200 were sold in the US. It has white painted aluminum alloy wheels. The service manager still had the used front wheel from his own sister model bike (an R1150R "Roadster") that he no longer owns.

Jon arrived and we sat down to write up the service ticket. Since I've got power assited ABS brakes, and BMWs are a bit "different" than most other motorcycles, I wanted the BMW dealer to mount and balance a new tire. Then I told him that it was a Kawasaki service tech who was going to do the install, and asked if he could please add whatever BMW details would be needed to ensure the install went smoothly. Jon gave me his card, and added his cell phone number so the tech could call him before he started.

The used wheel had been mounted on two other bikes and had been machined to fit one of them. Jon stated up front that he'd give a full refund if the wheel didn't work on my bike.

45 minutes to Rocky Mount from Raleigh. We arrived at around 11:30. The tech wanted to show me the REAL reason the tire wouldn't hold air:

That crack is THROUGH the wheel. I figure if the wheel hadn't cracked at the impact, allowed air to escape, the next weakest point would have been the bead of the tire on the rim. The tire might have blown off the rim completely and I surely would have lost control. The telelever transferred the impact from the front forks to the front shock, keeping the forks from "tucking."

Mike and I went off to find something to eat for lunch while the tech did his stuff. (The Barbecue we had for lunch was mediocre at best):

It took the Kawasaki tech an hour to do the switch. The wheel needed about 1/2 inch of "fill" added on one side of the fork and a bit more than that on the other side so it wouldn't fault the ABS sensor. It took some classic garage engineering to find the appropriate spacers to fill in. (There was more to it than that, but I can't even begin to explain it.) The BMW had guy recommended test fitting the wheel on the hub before switching the ABS hardware.

Got everything buttoned up and I took her for a test ride at around 2:00. WOOOieee!!! Felt good! No issues! Not a bobble, or anything. The brakes worked fine. Hoooray! I paid up, thanked Lorenzo and company profusely for their help.

Next, I called the Rally Master (I was SUPPOSED to be helping with the rally) to let him know that I was back on two wheels and would be in Wilmington in about 2 hours. His response, "get here when you can, we NEED you" - there was a note of pleading in his voice. I already had my destination in my GPS, so I started off, with Mike following in the car. . . Then, we got stuck behind a geezer in an old sedan, and I couldn't take it: I passed him, then we hit a section of twisties and I realized it would be some time before Mike could get by. Thinking of my "duties" I just rolled on and kept going, with the intent of texting Mike with my intent when I stopped for gas.

I rolled into The Greentree Inn (Wilmington) at 4:15 ish and hardly got a chance to pull off my helmet when I got texts for status updates. I'd missed the "Rally Rush" unfortunately. But I made myself as useful as possible trying to earn my meal and "staff" shirt.

The rest of the evening was low key. (Guitardad did quite well in the 10 hour rally.) Here's a pic of me and my bike with the used rim, and the wrecked one, after our return:

I'm sooo glad the used rim is "ferro blue" it matches my cylinder heads!

P
Last edited by Lion_Lady on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.