LADIES - Riding in the cold

rlwiggins227
Rookie
Rookie

LADIES - Riding in the cold

#1 Unread post by rlwiggins227 »

Hi ladies. I have a couple of questions if that's ok.

DH and I are taking a 5 hour road trip for the first timethis weekend to the mountains for our 12th anniversary. It's in the 60's here at home, but will be in 40's in the mountains when we get there. What suggestions do you have on how to stay comfortable and warm throughout the ride? Especially without breaking the bank on expensive gear? Thanks!!!

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Candy750 »

Make sure your hands and feet are warm. I got these "happy wool" socks for snowmobiling that are thin and very warm even if they get wet. I saw some deerskin thisulate lines gloves that seemed really wind, water, and cold proof.

Windshield?

Wool under leather.

Relax - you'll be colder if you tense up.

Stop for hot coffee, tea, coco.

Hug your honey, and have fun!!!!
Candy 750

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#3 Unread post by Nalian »

Hot hands are $2 and apparently very effective. After the last cold ride I took, I'd be inclined to get a bunch of them for the ride so that when parts start getting cold I can slip them into the warming pockets on my jacket/pants or into the gloves/boots themselves.

rlwiggins227
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by rlwiggins227 »

We don't have a windshield on the bike and unfortunately don't have enough time to get one put on at this point.

I just ordered some of those hot hands things and they should be to us by Friday.

We will be wearing/taking lots of layers:
long johns
turtle neck
fleece sweatshirt
leather jacket
waterproof wind jacket
jeans
waterproof wind/rain pants
long wool socks
boots
gloves
face masks

That's what I can think of right off hand that we've got to wear at this point. Anything else we should invest in?

Nalian
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#5 Unread post by Nalian »

I think that looks good gear wise - just keep in mind that windchill hits you harder than you realize, and you'll go from being just fine to very cold quickly.

If you feel you're too cold, stop for a bit and take a break. Usually it just takes 10-15 minutes to warm up enough to go on for another hour or so as long as you don't let yourself get too cold. I'd say make sure to take a few minutes break every hour or so.

rlwiggins227
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by rlwiggins227 »

Thanks. The windchill is what I'm hoping to guard against with all the layers and the hot hands. The group we are going with is planning to stop every 1.5-2 hours to gas up and get something to drink.

I hope this is a nice and not miserable ride. lol!

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I posted to your first thread in TotalMotorcycle.

Avoid cotton long johns, they will chill you quickly once they become damp with perspiration. Get polypropylene(sp?) at a sporting goods store. You want something that will pull moisture off your skin before it can chill you.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

rlwiggins227
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by rlwiggins227 »

the long johns we found were 50% cotton, 50% polyester, but they say they keep moisture away from your body. is that ok? I also have an underarmour shirt I could wear if that would help.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Do you happen to have a down jacket? I wear one under my biking jacket and it keeps me warm.

You can also get toe warmers for a couple of dollars. You stick them in your boot or on the bottom of your sock and it helps keep your toes warm for quite a while. Any sporting goods store or outdoor store and the automotive type department stores usually have them.

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#10 Unread post by Candy750 »

Those underarmors are supposed to be great. Last week, it was cold, and we met a guy who had one on. He said he could take off his jacket and ride warm.

I have polar level thermal underwear. It isn't a waffle - but this tan shiny material. They are super warm.

I am also a huge fan of wool. I wear wool amost all the time once November comes - I have dress wools, casual wools, sport wools....
Candy 750