LADIES: How do you deal with "trouble"?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

LADIES: How do you deal with "trouble"?

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

On one of the other forums I visit, a gal posted up about having a carload of young guys pull up next to her and give her a hard time. Talked about getting out of the car and getting on behind her (this was after dark).

She ignored them, staring straight ahead. Then they kept with her and cut her off a couple times... she was shaking when she got home.

I've NEVER had anything this scary happen, but I think its because I do good "theater:" For one, I ride as if I OWN THE ROAD (no, I don't ride like I don't care about other traffic, its more a state of mind).

If I notice the male bully type next to me, I give them the up and down look (holding in my mind the image of something disgusting for added effect) and return to my business.

I've also learned that earplugs can work to my advantage... "What?! I can't hear you! I've got earplugs in!!!" Regardless of whether or not I actually can hear them.

If they persist, I take advantage of my bike's superior accelleration and get some distance and other cars between.

I will admit that I had some idiots toss a firecracker out of a car in my direction, while I was still a relative newbie. But nothing since.

So, anyone else had something scary happen? How did you respond?

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

I'm a hot-head and the way I'd want to respond would be completely inappropriate and stupid. I would hope that I'd ignore them at the lights as she did but if they started pulling monkey business I'd either accelerate away or find a populated area to pull in and get away from them/call cops if necessary.

It's more likely I'd ignore them, and if they pulled crazy things with me I'd probably try and start a mirror collection. I think this area breeds driving aggression though and it's totally stupid. I would get mad over scared though.

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by deedee1 »

Thats scary. I would probably in my wise wisdom get mouthy with them :laughing: .

Seriously though i would try to put distance between us and if that didn;t work i would probably (as nalian said) go to a heavily populated area and see if they followed if so then i would call the cops. I would also get their license plate number so when I called I could give it to the cops so they had a chance to get em.

Barring that I don't think I will ride alone. i will have hubby with me so I don't think people would be to bad with more than one rider there. But then again people do the stupidest things.

Have a great one and ride safe
Deedee

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by Candy750 »

Bullies! Ugh!

They want attention - so I'd try to ignore them. Head straight. It's hard!

As for one getting on the back? Wow! That's the invasion of my personal space. I might whack him upside his head. Too bad I have a backrest - it's be nice to do a drag style take off, and have him fall off on to his "O Ring"!

It's one of those times were you have to find your inner "terminator", "gang member", or some other personality. Come off as bad "O Ring" as you can!

ooorrrrr you can try to disarm them with your charm. nah! Kick his butt!
Candy 750

Lion_Lady

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I know I'd WANT to say something, but I've learned that interacting with this sort, leads to action that wouldn't have happened if all you do is give them the

"I SEE you (acting like a tool), and I'm NOT threatened, so BACK OFF,"

Look.

P

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by MicheleZ »

I ride like I own the road also. I am also very very good at the "death ray" look :laughing: . I try to give the air of....if you mess with me it is going to get ugly. Has worked my whole life - on and off a bike. Keep in mind, I am only 5 foot 1 inch - but a whole lotta feisty. However, I have the means to back up my bluster and would use it if I was in fear for my life. My goal is to never have to use it - so the situation never goes that far.

jacks
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by jacks »

I think a 38 special would work wonders. Seriously though, I dont know what I would do but I never ride alone, always with the hubby and/or a group of friends.

Lion_Lady

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

:laughing:

Yeah, the "death ray" look. I've got that!!! Used it on my 'bad' customers at the coffee place too. Put them in fear of "decaf." tee hee.

P

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#9 Unread post by Candy750 »

I have a "death ray" look but I can't "make" it happen, it just does. It's funny when I accidently let my face do that at a work meeting... I think I like when that happens more than if I get caught rolling my eyes at something...that's just rude :laughing:

I guess I do go around with a "don't mess with me" type of attitude, too - I mean you almost HAVE to....but I am 5'8", and with a heel ( I generally have on some kind of boot with a heel) so I am at or above most folks eye level. I look alot taller than I am, too. Not sure why, but people often ask me if I am six feet tall. Anyway, I find that if I lean slighlty in toward whomever, they feel threatened... Of course, I am not out to kick butt all day. Have done it recently at a few parties with those revelers who seem to insist a party and alcohol is an excuse to fight. I prefer to intimidate theminto going away, than actually swinging.... it's so unlady-like to fight in public :roll:

Hey - had a thought - Don't you feel that a guy that bullies a woman is just a coward anyway? Like he wants to get his jollies, so he picks on someone he senses is weaker... maybe if you give it right back, he'll turn tail and run....
Candy 750

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by MicheleZ »

LOL! Decaf - oh that has me shaking in my motorcycle boots :shutup: . I can't stand decaf!

I do agree that bullies in general (and especially men who pick on women) have an inferiority complex. I can’t stand bullies.