LADIES: How do you deal with "trouble"?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#11 Unread post by blues2cruise »

When I had someone come up beside me and shout crap at me, I kept my eyes forward.
I think it's best to not even acknowledge them.

If the dirtbags are then following and cutting her off, I second the "finding a populated area."

Or park it and go into a store or something where there is a phone and someone else to help you.

I'm tall and when I'm in my jacket with all the padding I probably look more like a football player than a woman so with the exception of that one time, I haven't run into problems.

I have more problems when I've been in my bus. I get out my digital camera and when they see that I am going to snap a picture they back off.

Roberta X
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#12 Unread post by Roberta X »

...I'm tall and in layered winter gear, I'm kind of scary looking, even smiling. Add in that I'm riding a Vespa-clone scooter at present and it's not your usual sight. So far, all I've encountered are some very odd looks and one punk shouting, "F---in' freak!" Handled him by riding on by, fast, and never acknowledging that I heard him or even saw him and his little buddies. (It's okay to appear to ignore them -- but don't turn your back on such types!)

(I'd made some comments about the ".38 special" suggestion, then thought better of it. Check your local laws, get training, then make up your own mind. It's a complicated issue and this isn't the place to address it).

I keep in mind where the police sub-stations are, and other useful locations like the tiny Thai eatery run by a woman who is one of the best target-shooters in town (and real popular with the neighborhood police, too). Better to get to a safe place where there's help, unless you're Wonder Woman.

darsek
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by darsek »

All of the reasonable suggestions sound great....all I really would want to do though is raise them a middle finger salute. Thats the kind of thing that can get you in trouble though, ignoring people like this is the best thing.
But ladies, don't forget, if someone does try to get into your space you are covered in armor and it can be used as a weapon. Go somewhere and learn how to throw a good punch or two, better yet learn a martial art (I study Fiilipino stick fighting) and you will feel more confident. Even if you don't ever ride alone, you do go places alone sometimes and I like to feel like I can protect myself if need be.
Anyway it sounds like you handled the situation in the best way...just ignore the d%*kheads. I also like the sound of dropping him on his "o"ring if he ever dared get on the bike :devil2:

motormom
Rookie
Rookie

TROUBLE

#14 Unread post by motormom »

I don't think people can tell that I am a woman when I am wearing my leather jacket, gauntlets, helmet and jeans ( I am 5'9"). I never have problems and figure most men think if a woman is on a motorcycle she is tough enough to not mess with. It probably depends on where you live too.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Best thing to do is ignore them, she should have turned at the first opportunity she got to get away from them, but unfortunately she fell right into thier game.

I have a hot head as well, but I value my life even more. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of pulling out the cell phone and calling 911 while on a motorcycle, also "the one with the most lug nuts is the one who wins".
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

Reddemon
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by Reddemon »

I try to always stop in traffic allowing myself enough room to get out of there if I have to. And when I am wearing my full faced helmet and textile pants & coat, I doubt anyone can easily tell I'm a woman. Which is OK when you are out and about by yourself. I don't know the circumstances behind her trouble where the numbnut climbed on her bike, but I probably wouldn't have been there for him to do that.
I've only had one dickweed pull up next to me and start howling out the window at me. I just looked at him with an expression like he farted in church. Mustav worked:he broke eye contact first. If I could have been heard through the helmet, I would have said, "Uh helloo? You just acted like an "O Ring" trying to pickup a woman who is PROBABLY old enough to be your MOTHER you immature moron. Aren't you supposed to be in school right now ?"
:twisted:

kali
Veteran
Veteran

#17 Unread post by kali »

How about jotting down their plate number?
Would make me smarten up.
Platitudes kill!

maggy
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by maggy »

I like the 38 special lol but hey some nails would be cool to toss. lol
Well, I am not one to back down . I don't take much of any kind of Bull. but I would loose them for sure.
Maggy
RIDE TO LIVE
MAGGY
[img]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/359/00/10100516231167109485.jpg[/img]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#19 Unread post by Nalian »

Now with the helmet cam, I think I'd point it at them and ask them to say cheese - then head over to the nearest police station. ;)

Christina
Regular
Regular

#20 Unread post by Christina »

After reading this post, it's clear that this forum is filled with calm, level-headed, intelligent, confident ladies! All of you have great advice here! I'll be ready if it ever happens to me.
Christina
Don't make me wait for my ride!!
www.signalsorcerer.com