Fair Weather Riders

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

Fair Weather Riders

#1 Unread post by Mintbread »

As the weather has started to warm up down under I have noticed a lot more bikes on the road and more guys are riding their bikes in to work.
I, on the other hand, ride my bike all year round regardless if it is cold or pouring with rain and just shake my head at these limp-wristed part-time riders and constantly question their commitment to motorcycling in general.

We do not get months of snow over here that would make it physically impossible to ride so my question is only relative to cold weather and rain.

Are you a fair weather rider and if so, why?
Last edited by Mintbread on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by Andrew »

Ask me at the end of the winter...

I plan on riding through the winter, and don't consider myself a fair weather rider, but I don't see any problem with those who are. If riding is supposed to be enjoyable, why ride if the weather is keeping you from having fun?

The only thing that will keep me from riding(for now) is heavy rain or ice. Luckily, we don't get much of that here(TX).
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'm not necessarily a fair weather rider, but there are certain conditions that will make me use my car.

Right now the roads are particularly bad dues to the combination of extreme rain and autumn leaves. The roads are very slick.

I don't mind if it's plain old rain or a bit cold.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#4 Unread post by gsJack »

I have ridden year round here in NE Ohio since I started riding 22 years ago at age 52. Usually like it above 20F, but have been out when colder. Don't ride if streets are slippery with ice or snow, wait a bit till they spread the salt and then go rust collecting. :D
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#5 Unread post by scan »

I don't ride for a living, nor do I need to ride to work, as I work at home. I am a fair weather rider by definition. I don't ride in the rain unless I plan a trip and it rains that weekend, or if I'm somewhere and it rains before I get back. Otherwise I won't leave on purpose when it is raining. In the off season when it is very cold I pick the warmest of the cold days to run the bike for an half-hour or so every week or so. I prefer to ride in the nice weather, but I have been out in the rain, and I run my bike in the Winter when I never see another bike on the road besides me. That make me feel slightly hardcore.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

That's a really elitist, snobbish attitude.

As if these other riders don't meet your standards for being "committed" to the sport. They're not up to your requirements for being "motorcyclists."

What the @%!# do you care if they enjoy riding in the cold and rain?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#7 Unread post by Mintbread »

Of course it is a commitment thing.

If a swimmer does not want to get up before dawn and swim laps, or a body builder doesn't spend countless hours in the gym then they are less committed than those that do.

Simple.

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by Andrew »

There is a huge difference between any exercise regimen wher a few days off will set you back big time vs. riding a motorcycle. That's a horrible comparison.
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Shorts »

But isn't doing the activity essentially "committed". Body builders have a point to reach, winning contests. Swimmers have a goal to reach, winning meets. Motorcycle riders - they ride their bikes when they feel it. Is that the whole point, going for a ride?? Who cares when you do it.

That said, most of our riding is fair weather, it gets pretty crappy out here. Since now 95% of our riding is 2up to explore and chill, yes we like the fair weather. We have been caught in downpours. We never intentionally leave when its raining. But we do leave for rides knowing its cold outside, it gets you all frisky.

It isn't fun when the activity you're doing makes you miserable. Part of that is wearing the right gear. Some is being sure about your ability in the bad weather. There's a lot of reasons that factor in to 'fair weather riders'. That'll pass with time. And isn't that what being committed is about, putting in the time for the long term?
Last edited by Shorts on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Mintbread »

Andrew wrote: wher a few days off will set you back big time
I didn't realise that I said anything about a few days off. That assumption was horrible.