Fair Weather Riders

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Andrew »

No, you spoke about taking an entire season off. I was pointing out why those other activities require commitment. A few days off hurts a lot, so it's important to stay committed. The same thing can't be said for riding a motorcycle.
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#12 Unread post by Andrew »

Riding season, but it really doesn't matter. We're not talking about the number of days. I just don't understand what 'being more committed' is supposed to prove. But hey, whatever makes you happy.
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

307T
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by 307T »

I'm on the same wavelength as Scan. I make no excuses such as my age, where I live, or what I ride, that's just the way it is. You asked and you can consider me a fair weather rider by choice.
Back in the saddle again

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#14 Unread post by Mintbread »

Andrew wrote:I just don't understand what 'being more committed' is supposed to prove.
That you will ride regardless.

Geez, it isn't that difficult...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Sev »

I'm a fair weather rider. If there's ice on the ground... I don't ride.

Fair weather is a relative term ;). I'm hoping to compete in an ice race with my class this year though :D!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#16 Unread post by VermilionX »

i don't enjoy riding in the rain, hard rain, snow, hail, thick fog.

i already experienced it. it's just not fun for me.

i also don't like canyon riding at night.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#17 Unread post by Kal »

The point there is snow and ice on the ground then I question if I should be committed, I certainly stop taking the huge joy rides that are normal in the summer.

Motorbikes have never really been a sport for me. I came up from the Metallers in a Biker pub so bikes are just an extension of who I am, later they are a form of transport but sport? Not really.

Andrew wrote:No, you spoke about taking an entire season off. I was pointing out why those other activities require commitment. A few days off hurts a lot, so it's important to stay committed. The same thing can't be said for riding a motorcycle.

If you take an entire season off then you will not be as good at the start of the next season than you were at the end of the last. Practise is everything. It's why over here there is a higher percentage of accidents per bikes on the road in springtime than there is in winter.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

CajunBass
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by CajunBass »

I ride in some pretty crappy weather. A lot of times my bike is the only one in the parking lot at work. I've got a 156 mile RT and I've made it in temps down below 20, and as high as 100+. I've ridden in hard rain, toad strangler thunderstorm, in fog, day, night, even once in a dusting of snow. I logged just over 20,000 miles in the last year.

Having said that, I did it because I wanted to, not to prove anything to anyone. Just tonight, the weather forcast is calling for heavy rain by morning. (I'm working the graveyard shift.) I didn't feel like riding in the rain. I drove the car.

I guess I'm not "committed" enough for you. So you win.
[color=red]For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.[/color]
John 3:16 (NKJV)

earwig
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by earwig »

I ride for enjoyment only. Just like how people watch tv or play video games. If it is cold out I'd rather be comfortable in my truck with heat and comfy seats... if it is raining I'd rather stay dry and warm. If I have to put any extra effort into riding because of the weather I'd rather just drive. I think not riding every day/all the time keeps it exciting and gives me something to look forward to. I think people like you (mintbread) who brag about anything they do more than someone else or brag about being hardcore are really just lame.

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#20 Unread post by KingRobb »

I even ride when i am on fire and its sleeting.

Thru godzillas urine or earthquakes opening the ground. There are none as hardcore as I.

Get over it.

Besides chrome looks yechy when its rained and road crudded on.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke