Few questions for a young beginner

eggytoast
Rookie
Rookie

Few questions for a young beginner

#1 Unread post by eggytoast »

Hi, i am very new to the community and have a few questions.

I have a 1981 honda CB400 which i love to ride, it works perfectly and is very quiet, although sometimes it has trouble starting up. Can i bring it to a station and tune it up? how much does it usually cost?

Im only 16 years old, but im very resposible. I have always wanted an old motorcycle, and worked for about 1 year to get it, and i love it. My neighbor who used to have a bike years ago taught me how to change gears, use the clutch and basic stuff i should know but i have no helmet, no permit, and no plates for the bike :frusty: I have to get this stuff and i MAKE my mom hide the keys from me, but gosh it is so fun riding the bike around.

If i get my permit, how long is it before i can get my senior liscene or full lisence?

Any basic info you can give me about Honda motorcycles around 1980?

thanks for any help :D

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

First of all, :welcome:! Second, take the MSF before you do anything else. It's highly recommended by everyone that's taken it, including me. You will find that quite a few of the people around here have Hondas, including several like yours. That's probably one of the better choices for a new rider, not too big, not too small, and reliable! Safe riding, and keep the shiny side up!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by logitech104 »

:hithere: cool! We have basically the same bike! What version is yours though mine is the touring, cb400t. I'll help you on all your bike needs if you want, i know it like inside and out. I also have the repair manual. 8) A few other people have cb400's also. They are reliable as HECK!!
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

eggytoast
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by eggytoast »

here is a pretty good picture, and i did notice mine being a CM400T

im allready learning!

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 695ps1.jpg

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

That is one cool looking bike.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

XJRJohn
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by XJRJohn »

I have had countless 250/400 superdreams (Thats what theyre called in the uk).I still have boxs of parts scattered around the garage.We have started using all the parts to build a ratter,Just for winter.Its more for fun than anything,Just to see if we can get it road legal.It started life as a 250 but Kal has donated a 400 motor.There are pictures somwhere on here.If you need any help with your bike just ask ,theres plenty on here willing to help.XJRJOHN
biking isnt a matter of life or death,its far more important(bill shankley,well almost)

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by qwerty »

First, take the MSF Basic Rider Safety course. Second, well, without the BRC first, you probably won't live long enough to worry about the second.

The CM400T is a fine commuter bike. It's a bit too buzzy for long commutes or highway use. Bar end weights and good grips help, but once your feet go numb it's tough to hold the bike up when you stop. Buy a shop manual and give the bike a good going-over. Retorque everything. Blue LocTite will keep most parts from falling off. Don't use LocTite on aluminum--you'll strip the threads.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#8 Unread post by Kal »

I've got a cb250n in the yard, a bit of a project bnike to be honest. A big selling point to me was it's damn cheap, parts are still available and there seems to be an army of people who have had at least one so theres always good advice around.

Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by Koss »

Howdy there! Welcome to the forums! I love the bike, its awesome to look at.

Well, if you wanna take some friendly advice, I'd say to first get a helmet... you can get a great helmet for about $85 if you are near a walmart that sells motorcycle helmets. I would suggest a full face helmet, the advantages far outweigh the cons in my opinion. Next plates, and then the permit. Although you can alternate the last two anyway you want... really I guess all three... but for sure take the MSF beginners course or whatever riding classes you have avaliable to you, and finish the rest. They should provide the helmet, bike, and knowledge!

But most of all... have fun!
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss