Fair Weather Riders

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by -Holiday »

I'll ride to the point until I feel conditions are so unsafe that chances are good I'm going to get hurt. There is no sense in taking that much of a risk when I have other alternatives, like driving a car.

That said, that point that I decide its unsafe to ride is different for every condition. So i've ridden in rain, light snow, extreme cold etc etc. Its actually kinda fun IMO to see how cold it can be before you cant take riding anymore. With heated gear Im not sure if there is a temp cold enough.

Like querty said though, in some conditions it just becomes assinine to continue riding, so if the fact I wont ride in 16 feet of snow, or across the Berring straight makes me limp wristed or uncommited to my machine, then so be it.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#32 Unread post by roscowgo »

Fair weather.

Why? Because i choose to be.

Simple.

Falkenheld
Veteran
Veteran

#33 Unread post by Falkenheld »

I see tons of those. Usually people on Harleys who are afraid their chrome gets ruined in the rain or something. :roll: Or realise their relative lack of gear won't protect them in anything but sunny days. Well, a lot of them do ride on colder days, as long as there's no rain or anything. :laughing: It's funny to finally see them all wrapped up.
[b]1980 Honda CB400T[/b]

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#34 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Falkenheld wrote:I see tons of those. Usually people on Harleys who are afraid their chrome gets ruined in the rain or something. :roll: Or realise their relative lack of gear won't protect them in anything but sunny days. Well, a lot of them do ride on colder days, as long as there's no rain or anything. :laughing: It's funny to finally see them all wrapped up.
Hmm, I failed to consider the impact of the amazing rays of the sun to protect my body from sliding across pavement. I wasted alot of money on gear, darnit.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#35 Unread post by Candy750 »

By most standards I am a fair weather rider. I don't like falling rain, and I like the temp to be at least 45 degrees. I have ridden when the roads are still wet, and when there is dense fog. It can never be hot enough for me!

I was consoled Saturday that "our" season is over. :cry: Candy is in the garage with a blankie. I hold out a small hope this Saturday will be 51 - BUT - I need to get my snowmobile out!!

Next season - BIG PLANS!! I am aiming for March 21 - a mere 128 days away. My Christmas list is full of bike stuff :P
Candy 750

XJRJohn
Elite
Elite

#36 Unread post by XJRJohn »

I ride in any weather all year round.I cant say i enjoy it,In fact i hate it.I dont possess a car licence and have to travel 15 miles to work.Give me the chance to be a fair weather rider and id jump at it.Im building a bike just to use in winter just to save my other bike from the ravages of uk roads in winter.All weather rider i might be ,but i certainly aint committed.xjrjohn
biking isnt a matter of life or death,its far more important(bill shankley,well almost)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#37 Unread post by dr_bar »

XJRJohn wrote:I ride in any weather all year round.I cant say i enjoy it,In fact i hate it.I dont possess a car licence and have to travel 15 miles to work.Give me the chance to be a fair weather rider and id jump at it.Im building a bike just to use in winter just to save my other bike from the ravages of uk roads in winter.All weather rider i might be ,but i certainly aint committed.xjrjohn
Just another side to that big coin.

XJR, I would say you are a committed rider even if you don't think so. I'm sure that with a little work, you could find another way to commute, but that bike, or the one you're working on is just too enticing to let sit.

With that said, I switch off vehicles when the weather is too ugly or unsafe to ride. Regretably, the lot at my part time job is all new loose gravel and not compacted yet and as such is a mud hole right now. So, even if I wanted to ride, there's no place to drop the side stand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#38 Unread post by t_bonee »

Falkenheld wrote:I see tons of those. Usually people on Harleys who are afraid their chrome gets ruined in the rain or something. :roll: Or realise their relative lack of gear won't protect them in anything but sunny days. Well, a lot of them do ride on colder days, as long as there's no rain or anything. :laughing: It's funny to finally see them all wrapped up.
Whats a matter with that? I don't have a Harley but I did spend a lot of "procreating" money, by my budget, on a new bike. I want to keep it nice. If that means staying out of the rain cause I don't want my paint or chome fouled up, that is my perogative.

Now when I had my early '80's bike, I didn't care if it got rained on or what not cause it was already rusty and ugly. But my new bike gets better treatment than that.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#39 Unread post by Nalian »

:roll: That's funny, last week my harley was the only one in the parking lot during some of the rainy days. Usually the only other one I see on crappy days is a KLR, but lately there aren't many bikes on the road up here in Boston.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#40 Unread post by Gummiente »

Nalian wrote: :roll: That's funny, last week my harley was the only one in the parking lot during some of the rainy days.
That's okay, he probably can't tell the difference between a Harley and a metric cruiser anyway.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride