Computer questions and solutions....thereof...

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by t_bonee »

Nalian wrote:Nope - same version has been out since September. I didn't start having problems right away, but more just a week or so ago (firefox was installed on a fresh OS about 3/4 weeks ago). It's possible that it didn't like being installed with the other extensions I was running - but like I said I didn't notice issues right away. I started noticing all kinds of problems with firefox (such as it wouldn't let me click on my tabs, but I could ctrl-alt to them) and was getting pretty frustrated til I uninstalled just forecastfox. Since then..no problems.

As always with computers, YMMV.
Ya. That's weird. I've been using forecastfox for a long time and never had nary a problem with it. Gotta love 'puters.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#32 Unread post by t_bonee »

A cool new feature in Firefox 2 is you can config links that would normally open a new browser window to open in a new tab instead. . And a cool extension is the Tiny URL creator. It allows you to create a Tiny URL link by right clicking it. And another is Unplug which scans a webstie that has embedded audio and/or video and then provides a link so you can download the song or video.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#33 Unread post by JC Viper »

For Firefox type about:config into the address bar and go to Browser.tabs.closeButtons and enter

0 (for the close button to appear only on the active tab)
1 (for all tabs to have a close button)
3 (no close buttons)

Not very useful tip but hey it can come in handy.
Beware that Firefox 1.5 and 2 start taking up a lot of memory after use so you may want to close all windows from time to time. I think this is where IE7 has done right.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#34 Unread post by Shiv »

Mmm get a Mouse Gestures extension too. So freaking useful. Can open new tabs, refresh page, go forward/backward, close pages, open new ones, duplicate the page you're on, etc and so forth all with the mouse.
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#35 Unread post by roscowgo »

I'm one of the foxy crew too.

Did find a plugin that actually opened IE tabs under firefox at one point, and was customizable in which sites you wanted that to happen with, but it was a bit twitchy. so i scrapped it :D

/agrees with any it guy that reccomends ie7...its kind of like reccomending syphilis with a wonderful sidedose of strep throat.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#36 Unread post by Nalian »

jonnythan wrote:
Nalian wrote:If you're commenting in my direction, jonnythan, the memory leak I was experiencing was due to forecast fox.
I realized that after I posted, but thought I'd leave the comment up because Firefox *does* indeed use hundreds of megabytes of memory over time. Lots of people think that this is some sort of memory leakage bug with Firefox, but it's actually intentional.. so I thought I'd leave the "fix" up for those interested.
Makes sense! Hopefully the guy up above will see it. ;)

Christina
Regular
Regular

#37 Unread post by Christina »

YEP - good ole' IE 7 - it's a bomb totally! Bad bomb that is. I work on computers all day long and to this day i've not heard one good reason to accept the new IE 7 Upgrade. I guess we will have to wait for whatever they throw at us next.............FireFox is a great alternative..........never hear anything bad about it.
Christina
Don't make me wait for my ride!!
www.signalsorcerer.com

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#38 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jonnythan wrote:Firefox is designed to slowly eat up a significant chunk of memory. This is not a memory leak. It stores a large portion of the pages you visit in RAM instead of in its cache.

You can turn this off if you want. There's no reason to "kill" Firefox periodically.

If you want to do this, type about:config in the address bar and hit enter. Right click and select New -> Boolean. Name the value config.trim_on_minimize and select True. Restart Firefox.

There. Minimal memory usage.
Is this common knowledge? Why would they design something to eat up your memory space? If someone happens to have a small memory computer, and they run out of memory, is there an obvious fix for them?

They won't have you there to let them know why they ran out of memory.

I'm finding some pages are still extremely slow to load...if at all. I have to click a few times or close it and try again. It's better than IE7 though.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#39 Unread post by jonnythan »

blues2cruise wrote:
jonnythan wrote:Firefox is designed to slowly eat up a significant chunk of memory. This is not a memory leak. It stores a large portion of the pages you visit in RAM instead of in its cache.

You can turn this off if you want. There's no reason to "kill" Firefox periodically.

If you want to do this, type about:config in the address bar and hit enter. Right click and select New -> Boolean. Name the value config.trim_on_minimize and select True. Restart Firefox.

There. Minimal memory usage.
Is this common knowledge? Why would they design something to eat up your memory space? If someone happens to have a small memory computer, and they run out of memory, is there an obvious fix for them?

They won't have you there to let them know why they ran out of memory.

I'm finding some pages are still extremely slow to load...if at all. I have to click a few times or close it and try again. It's better than IE7 though.
It's common knowledge in the tech community.

It doesn't actually seem to be an issue for most people. People who go in and look at the current memory footprint of their browser get all freaked out when they see a 3-digit number there, but in the Real World it doesn't affect much at all. Firefox works just fine on computers with minimal RAM. It tends to slowly absorb available memory in order to make the browsing a little faster, that's all.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#40 Unread post by t_bonee »

blues2cruise wrote:
*snippage*

Maybe try an online virus scan and spyware scan. Sounds like something may be eating your bandwidth. Lots of times a virus or nasty hunk of spyware will disable your protection software but make it seem like it is still working A-ok. An online virus/spyware scan may pickup something your installed software is missing.

I assume you have broadband and should be getting way faster down speeds. .