aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

The Daily Grind

#11 Unread post by aw58 »

1st Feb 07
Sorry for the gaps - some days just slip by without incident.

Travelling in this morning and just before I join the M4 I have a vw close behind - in fact if I were that close to her I'd be charged with buggery.

As I navigate the roundabout, close to the right as I intend exiting on the 3 rd exit, the vw passes me on my left then cuts across me as she too is aiming for the same exit. Pee'd off.
Reduce myself to a base level and hurl anglo saxon at her as I pass on the slip road. Blonde and vacant. The rest of the journey passes without incident - other than begining to see regular accidents either on my side or other side of motorway. Traffic regularly bottle necking around Cardiff as the embankments are being worked on. Give way to street machine behind as he passes through traffic quicker than I Being some what narrower. Brakes not so solid need to check.

Home journey not pleasent as cargo net sprung back when lashing laptop to rack. Damned hook in the eye - hurt for a few days -a little difficult focusing left eye - have to report to health and safety.

2nd Feb. 07
Colder today. Winter is beginning to move in. keep speed down to 70ish as not comfortable with brakes. Good result as at around 70 mph the VN returns a respectable 49 mpg (imperial)

Dont get around to brakes however, wd 40 does frees the foot pedal which was sticking and seems to stop a little better. Have purchased new pads front and rear plan to service on Wednesday. Volvo fails the MOT and will be scrapped in next 7 days- need to buy another one.

5th Feb 07
Getting Colder - Ice on seat- nice run in though. some carnage on opposite carriageway of M4 (drop speed not to attract the busy's re exhaust note) I love the sound of the Vance and Hines. Need to order a new dunlop for the front - internet offer some good deals and local bike shop will fit.

journey home today seems darker than normal. Cross the bridge and the lady in the toll booth opens the barrier when I am about 50 yards out - go through in second. Passed by tourer around Coryton - resit temptation to give chase (only just) just as well as the busy's are parked a few hundred yards on (again contain speed and note). Home by 1845 hrs.

SNOW PROMISED FOR THURSDAY.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#12 Unread post by aw58 »

Posted a new topic instead of reply earlier

Wednesday 7/2/07
Looking for new car - Volvo not going to pass mot- day off.
Volvo on ebay (a few hours left) bid currently at £72 and that buys an lpg car (exempt from congestion charge) and a number plate of E666 HAB - great if your last name is Be elzebub.(ps an ebayer of that name has shown an interest).

Thursday 8/2/07
Snow around the country - worked from home.

Friday 9/2/07

weather looks ok set off.
Bridgend - stinging rain
Llantrisant - sleet
Cardiff beginning to snow - move carefully through the queues.
Newport - snowing heavier - lorries passing - more than half way to Bristol continue the journey.
Magor- refuel.
Cross the bridge - snow less and arrive at work (Patchway)
Pull into carpark - snow on ground no salt.
stop - bugger- VN down.
I am underneath - engine revving. kill engine - boy this baby is heavy on the leg.
Hear my area manager call out " oh no" - he rides a Suzuki.
within a few moments myself, a collegue, a manager and a director are lifting the VN up.
No damage - thats what your engine bars are for says Peter(area manager).
Remove laptop from bike into office. Lisa states she had thought why are you revving the bike. (she's got a Suzuki too).
Leave for home at 2 pm still snowing - 65 miles to go.
Cross the bridge and the motorway is snow and slush - really shxxxy.
The next 50 miles are alongside a guy from Pencoed on a Yamaha FZR 600 (c. 1994) we chat as we proceed at around 5 -10mph on 3 lanes of gridlock. Reach High cross after 2 hrs (Newport) around 30 miles from Bristol. Weather eases and home last 35 miles in around 35 mins.
Brakes making a racket - think they may have been dislodged when downed.
Vance and Hines burnt through my joe rocket waterproofs and beginning to burn the leather bags.
Still - if I survive and still enjoy this - the summer will be bloody marvellous.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#13 Unread post by aw58 »

Volvo will fail it's mot on 11/2/07. As in the UK you get charged for everything I advertise it on Ebay with 5 days prior to it's expiry.
Bidding starts at £30 and sell it for £100 day before it is due off the road.
Monday 12th Feb 07- 2 days later wife locks herself out of the house, whilst I'm in Bristol, and we are charged £113 by a locksmith to drill the lock and replace the barrel - Bummer.
Find a new Car (well 12 yr old Saab 900 vgc) owner of garage selling it runs a Harley - exchange pleasantries on Friday 16/2/07 when I pick it up.

Backtracking Thursday 15/2/07 not feeling too good pains in the chest.

Friday, after going to work by train to collect car from Claypits on the A38, on way home call I into a & e (as advised by wife). Spend until 19/2/07 in hospital. Banter with fellow victims ok.(one comment "I wouldn't feel homesick if they made me do the washing up"(John Collins)).
Injections to thin the blood, beta blockers, aspirin, spray for under the tongue in an emergency and something to reduce cholesterol - with Cholesterol at only 3.88 I argue the toss and refuse to take reducing tablets as you can't have grapefruit - and I do enjoy grapefruit.
Monday 19/2/07 on the treadmill last 7 mins at 3.5 mph on 14 degree incline.( and people pay to join gyms to do this)

Still good news - back home - car's ok - front tyre (dunlop) ordered for the VN has arrived (saved around £18 on local pricing) look forward to riding down to Bridgend on Thursday. Bad news - Chest is still bloody tight.

Well as I said last time - "if I survive - the summer will be bloody marvellous".

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#14 Unread post by aw58 »

Sorry about the absence. Still here.

Thursday 22/2/07 Rode down to JT Motorcycles Bridgend to have tyre fitted. First day out on bike since hospital. Have a Dunlop around my shoulder to waist - this is not safe - tyre bloody hard.

Tyre fitted and new brakes (sintered) can stop at last - price for fitting tyre and brakes front and rear £38. not bad.
Well I can still ride.

Back to work and the "daily grind" (not really - love most of it) 26.2/07

Sunny beautiful day - almost want to keep riding.

27 and 28 the Peeing down and windy - hate the bridge crossing home down to 50 mph and struggling to keep the VN upright.
28th arrive at tolls and the girl in the car in front losses a fiver (£5.00) change - manage to roll back and put my foot on the note.
She steps out and hobbles toward me - jeans about two sizes too small.
As she bends down to pick up the £5.00 manage to resist the phrase
"while your down there".
Smiles and returns to the car - being helpful has its rewards with such sights.
Thursday Sunny - take the Saab
Friday back on the VN sunny going out - peeing down coming home - get home and the boots have leaked the leather has leaked - but I am happy.
Chrome on the sissy bar is xxxxed with corrosion - will remove soon and have re chromed - probably sell. Fancy removing pillion seat and fitting rack . That's the future.
Went to the Cinema with my 7yr old to see Ghost Rider - I almost felt 17 again.
Wife took our younger boys to see Charlottes web. Think I got the best deal.
Speak to you soon.
Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#15 Unread post by aw58 »

Another week slips by, but the weather is improving - sunny days less rain.

Start of the week has 2 accidents on M4 - Tuesday's causing a 20 mile tail back. Weave the way thru. - cheek muscles clenched as ride between traffic. More fellow motorcyclists becoming apparent as the weather improves -who can blame anyone for hibernating in winter. Memorable moment this week was being knocked off in Walmart(ASDA) carpark.

Anus reverses out of space in Mondeo into rear of bike as I am at crown of junction. Manage to lay the VN down gently but break a Highway Hawk indicator cover. Thump boot of car to attract his attention - although he has stopped at this stage. Push him into helping lift the vn up. Witness arrives, she's seen it all, ask for her address for insurance, and am shown her warrant card (South Gloucester Police) - pretty good witness.

Exchange details and back to work - repair indicator cover on week end with araldite and a washer - can't be assed with agro of making claim on the guy - lifes just too short for grudges. Sunday sunny - the weekend cruisers are out on the coast - glittering chrome and no doubt low mileage.

With 10000 miles clocked up in last 5 winter months, the chrome does not quite glitter the same and what will has a waxy sheen of ACF50. Due another service this week as the bike has now cleared 16000 miles in 9.5 years.

speak to you soon

Adrian

aw58

The Daily Grind

#16 Unread post by aw58 »

Another week -

Tuesday 13/3/07- Passed this morning by a Suzuki street machine - nose down and arse up - between Llantrisant and Cardiff(M4) . Continue to cruise around 80. Coryton the traffic begins to jam - commence the usual breath in and move between the queue. Around 1/2 mile ahead is the Suzuki in similar mode. Over the next mile I find myself on his tail. Either I know my width better than he does or I do need my sanity checked (or a bit of both). Tail for another 1/4 mile - spot my opening and pass on inside. Over the next 2 miles of moving in and out the queues moving (which are moving around 50) I open the gap up and sufficiently to leave his headlamp as the only visible point in my mirror. A little adrenaline helps occassionaly but don't wish to make a habit of it (not in a rush to meet my maker).
Wednesday 14/3/07- early start - meeting in Birmingham at 9.30 -travel to a collegues house in Cinderford (leave bike and travel by car). Much colder at 0615hrs than 8.15 hrs.
At around 6.40 the sun greets the Kawasaki as I power past mitusbishis' heading into the East. Head up toward Monmouth.
From here it single carriageway up into the Forest of Dean - I thought I saw John Voight and Burt Reynolds -Wild country. Makes a pleasent change to ride on country roads. Once returned from B'ham ride back home from Cinderford - passed by Triumph Thruxton on way back - today it just cruising.
Weather not bad - next week promises to be colder.
Service overdue.

Finally does anyone know how to attach pictures to these posts.

aw58

#17 Unread post by aw58 »

19th March

Appointment in Hospital regarding future angiogram. The risks are explained
Possible stroke - and not of the nurse variety
possible heart attack
possible reaction to the dye
and possible puncture to artery.

I am then asked when I would like to have said angiogram - about 30 yrs time is my response.

Finally settle for 12th April.

As I cross the Severn the waters are brown and churning - my own thoughts churn.

21st March

Homeward bound - quite a strange journey - as I cross the bridge above me is a crescent moon and star - ahead is the dying light of the setting sun in the West and behind in the East a black darkness descends - I power on into the West with the sign of the fish affixed to the screen - my thoughts I keep with myself in the knowledge that the sun will once again rise and darkness will be banished.

Light packs in - w/c 26th March have to use the Saab - screw heads rounded on headlamp - bid for Lamp on Ebay.
Wednesday decide to use bike as sunrise and sunset within my travelling time - not one of my best decisions - Fog in Newport - no fun on side light.
Win bid and collect lamp - turns out to be the switch that's screwed - Kawasaki want £100 for switch.
Week of 2nd April, on annual leave
Tuesday take bike in for new back tyre - garage have ordered front tyre
Wednesday - day trip to london on the train -nice day out with wife and boys.
Thursday - have rear tyre fitted - Dunlop not available assured Bridgstone compatible - hope I get the 12000 miles acheived out of Dunlop. Also rewire headlamp so main lights switch on when side light activated - bugger paying £100 for a switch - thanks Clymer.
Friday - Oil and filter change/ plug change and oil cables - start of major service now at 17700 miles (12k in 6 months)
A few local trips to Bridgend and I do love the roundabout at Ewenny - as the camber makes you feel you are on the wall of death and the Kawasaki handles well into and out of the roundabout.
Sunday - get the 2 elder boys (7 and 5) to help in polishing the chrome - costs me 80 p that's 40p each - no doubt Lord Shaftsbury would be turning in his grave.

Soon be back to the daily run to and from Bristol but the weather is certainly getting better - hurrah for global warming.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#18 Unread post by aw58 »

Well, sorry for the delay once again. I’ve been enjoying riding in the sunshine that most other things have been forgotten.
w/e 13th April, sunshine all week.
Most days have been a joy, with the exception were preparation work is going on for the M4 widening (ends 30th). There is a half mile stretch where the lanes are too narrow to take the VN through. Approaching the Bryn Glas Tunnels and (12th I think) and the traffic slows to less than 30 mph. Through the tunnels at a low speed and see the roof of the tunnel lit by the blue and red of a patrol car ahead. Police have pulled in a motor outside the tunnel. As I exit the tunnel at low speed both officers have been watching the mouth of the tunnel – the V & H even at low speed being like a fan-fare of arrival.
Home on the 13th, Motorway begins to slow between Cardiff and Newport opposite carriageway closed – Officers watch my passing (Sunshine makes them more observant when it comes to the low growl of the exhaust. Catch up with a raked Harley around Cardiff Gate in the slow moving traffic and enjoy the next 20 miles sat on his tail between 80 and 90. I am unable to hear my pipes over his and observe his tail light going between on and off with degrees of dimness the whole journey. As we reach Bridgend he leaves M4 and we acknowledge the company for some of our journey.

W/e 20th April,
Another sunny week
Monday
M5 closed at Bristol – Spanish Lorry driver jack knifed his artic, taking out a lamp post in the centre of the motorway, sending it crashing across the opposite carriageway blocking all three lanes. The jack knife splits the fuel tank, resulting in the motorway being closed from the afternoon until 11pm as the motorway is resurfaced to get rid of the diesel spillage. To avoid the agro of the jams leave work at seven and use "A" roads to old Severn crossing. Cross the old bridge which is no longer maintained to a high standard – like a patchwork quilt and so is the M48 to where it joins the M4 after the second Severn crossing- still made a pleasant change. Mileage no different.

Friday 20th.
Need to be home early as going to Cardiff with wife and boys to see BBC Welsh National orchestra, playing music from the arts/TV and films. Cross the bridge only to be passed by a flurry of police cars, a mile after the bridge – three car pile up. Pass without delay. Behind a Rocket 3 as I exit Bryn Glas tunnels and traffic slows to observe carnage on opposite side a mile ahead. Well wouldn’t normally be able pass one of these, but as the VN seems so small in comparison, I am able to weave my way ahead of the Triumph. Traffic heavy all the way past Cardiff Gate – catch up with a Kawasaki road machine intent to plod with the flow. No time for this and pass weaving between both lanes. As the traffic opens up I find myself moving well ahead of everyone- then I realise why as flashing lights of a Police Volvo are closing in from behind. Running late a knot forms in the pit of my stomach and I ease back the fuel and pull into the inside lane. Fortunately the object of their desire is elsewhere. Home in time to get to Cardiff and enjoy the evening (A Dalek helping present the theme to DR. Who. – which we all enjoy.).

W/E 27th April,

Weather not so good at start but gets better can’t remember much of this week at all

Travelling on the winding bit after the tunnels and Magor, I find myself alongside a small ford. I remain alongside the blonde young lady for some time (by chance). However, as she moves to the left to head for Newport or Monmouth, she positively glowers. Obviously unable to hear the in car sound – No chance of a s—g there.

Last Week. Weather sunny, but cold in the mornings'. A few weeks ago purchased a pair of Cowboy Boots from Sheplers.com which have been great on the bike, but if the trousers are thin they ride up and the look of hairy legs above the shaft of the boot is not a good look – tuck them in. The other disadvantage is dead flies on the knees isn’t pleasant either. As memory fails I must make notes every day.

4th May, 07
Again, carnage on the motorway, at High cross, 3 vehicles. The tailback starts at Cardiff Gate, however, I wind the VN through and keep up a reasonable speed and still make Bristol in 1hr and 10 mins.

Tomorrow go to hospital for an Angiogram – not looking forward to it at all.

Let you know how things go and will know how long I am off the bike.

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by AZRider »

Well?? How are ya doin??
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

aw58

The Daily Grind

#20 Unread post by aw58 »

Well, nice to know I am being thought of ( AZ owe you a recipe)

Had the Angigram and have been advised have significant narrowing of the rear artery. Also had significant bruising around the groin where the artery incision was closed by pressure for 10 mins. As the Doc has advised the good news is I am planned in for a angioplas - similar procedure but the expand the artery and insert a mesh tube to keep it opened wider. Up to 6 month wait. Meantime put up with angina, another daily grind.

Took the VN out on Friday 18/5/07, first day for almost a fortnight. Done around 25 miles and tomorrow back to the 130 miles a day. Washed,Polished and Waxed her, and touched up the corrosion gained from the mileage and being out 24/7 - also residing with 300 yds of the sea.

Speak to you soon

Ade

[/img]