You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

My First Bike Suzuki GSX 600F (Katana) - Europe Rider

#31 Unread post by Peter Y »

Ive read all the articles about why I shouldnt buy a 600CC bike as my first bike. When I look at the process involved to get a license in the North America region Vs Europe I totally understand and agree with this logic. I would just like to briefly explain what getting a license in the Netherlands involves and maybe you will agree that I can have a 600CC as a first bike.

Three Exams, six months and $1500 + a bit more

1. Basic proficiency test (U turns, emergency stops, slalome,braking etc etc)done in an area closed to traffic. Only in the presence of instructor

2. Theorey exam (Fifty questions)

3. Final Practical exam (Involves a 40 minute ride with examiner following in car).

We can only get on the road after we have passed the first test and only in the presence of an instructor. No riding with friends, relatives etc etc until you have your license.

So after going through this rigorous process I think I should be able to handle a 600CC

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: My First Bike Suzuki GSX 600F (Katana) - Europe Rider

#32 Unread post by Shorts »

Peter Y wrote: So after going through this rigorous process I think I should be able to handle a 600CC

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

No. The US has basically the same requirements. There's a difference in riding and riding well.

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My First Bike Suzuki GSX 600F (Katana) - Europe Rider

#33 Unread post by Peter Y »

No. The US has basically the same requirements. There's a difference in riding and riding well.[/quote]

I was of the impression that in the US the process was not as rigourous. I dont think it takes as long as it does in Europe to get the license. Once you have a learners permit or similar are you allowed to ride on your own? Our lessons were on on a Honda CB500 so we are already comfortable riding a larger bike but at minimum we would have already had 20 hours of lessons with instructors. I think the whole 600CC issue is between the ears. As long as you can control the throttle and you have a high sense of awarness I feel it should be ok.

Regards

Peter......

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#34 Unread post by Shorts »

I think the whole 600CC issue is between the ears. As long as you can control the throttle and you have a high sense of awarness I feel it should be ok.

No matter how smart one is, newbs don't have the luxury of experience on the streets and experience on the bike, period. Remember, this is your first bike, not your last. No one says don't everget a 600cc sportbike. It is said, don't get it as your first bike because they are not the best to learn on. You want to learn to drive a stick shift in a small compact car? Or do you want to try it on busy city streets in a fully loaded 18wheeler and trailer?

An anology, think of the show "Pros vs Joes". Sure, there are some decent guy who can handle themselves on the field or court, but the pros will come in an whip them pretty good with their efficiency, ability and experience.

If you want a 600cc sportbike, go right ahead. But your learning curve will be a lot longer and slower than someone who is on an easier bike. You remember how kids only start off on a tricycle, then to a small bike with training wheels, then no training wheels and then the big 10spd? It's the same idea.

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#35 Unread post by Peter Y »

Today I took delivery of my Suzuki GSX 600F. To be quite honest yes it was a little overwhelming. The weight of the bike, the fantastic sound of the Engine, the instant feel of the power and instantly responsding brakes. But u know all this just tells me I need to think twice before I start to enjoy that throttle. I think the effect it has now is more one of " I really need to watch what Im doing or else". Im cautious but confident this is going to work. I am excited!!!!

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#36 Unread post by intotherain »

Peter Y wrote:Today I took delivery of my Suzuki GSX 600F. To be quite honest yes it was a little overwhelming. The weight of the bike, the fantastic sound of the Engine, the instant feel of the power and instantly responsding brakes. But u know all this just tells me I need to think twice before I start to enjoy that throttle. I think the effect it has now is more one of " I really need to watch what Im doing or else". Im cautious but confident this is going to work. I am excited!!!!
why ask if your not going to listen to them? they are both right... they are also being REALLY nice to encourage you to start on a safer beginner bike. But ill say this to you straight: no, of course your not ready for a 600CC after some little "rigorous" tests. I am sure it's difficult but it is no match with having two or three years of experience on the road... Since you already got your bike there's nothing anyone can do.

Have fun in tight traffic jams =D.

:laughing:

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#37 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

Peter Y wrote:Today I took delivery of my Suzuki GSX 600F.
Enjoy it. Take it easy. Practice the basics a lot. I know how hard it is to train in England, so if you've got a brain, you'll be fine.
02 Fazer 600

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#38 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Hope all works out well for you. Watch that you dont twist the wrist by accident eh...
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#39 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

Shorts wrote:You want to learn to drive a stick shift in a small compact car? Or do you want to try it on busy city streets in a fully loaded 18wheeler and trailer?

You remember how kids only start off on a tricycle, then to a small bike with training wheels, then no training wheels and then the big 10spd? It's the same idea.
I love analogies and these are some good ones I may have to steal.

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with a beginner wanting a 600cc sportbike or even a 1300cc sportbike ... IF they know nothing about motorcycles.

Once a beginner does some research, and asks questions, and becomes educated by experienced riders, and learns that such bikes can be exponentially more dangerous for a new rider, they will fall into one of two camps:

1. Riders - Riders will heed the advice and take a training class and get a smaller bike because they are eager to learn to ride, and ride very well, and improve their skills over decades of riding.

2. Posers - Posers are the folks who ride for ego and show. They get the big fast bike, even after they are told why it is a bad idea. They are convinced that they are smarter and more skillful than everyone else. They tend to be athletic and therefore believe they have superior balance and dexterity and strength so they can "handle" a fast bike. They get a bike to look cool and impress people. They don't ride for long. They either crash within 3 months and quit or they sell the bike after putting on 400 miles in a year, because they are too scared to ride it. But, hey, they'll get to still brag that, "I used to ride motorcycles, man." :roll:
[b]Are you a beginner rider?
Have a lot of questions about motorcycling?
Not sure what bike to start with?
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#40 Unread post by Peter Y »

why ask if your not going to listen to them? they are both right... they are also being REALLY nice to encourage you to start on a safer beginner bike. But ill say this to you straight: no, of course your not ready for a 600CC after some little "rigorous" tests. I am sure it's difficult but it is no match with having two or three years of experience on the road... Since you already got your bike there's nothing anyone can do
U know I wanted to ask because I do value all the comments and guidance I get from this site. The fact that the passion I had to get a 600CC outweighed the commentary does not mean I do not take into account what was said.

I had my first weekend with the bike and took it nice and slow. Cautious and alert. I think the issue now is that Im so concious about the fact that this is a fast and powerful bike that I im reluctant to use its speed and power . I dunno if thats funny , ironic or what????