Pre-startup maintenance on a bike sitting for 6 months?

The549
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by The549 »

shalihe74 wrote:Thank you SO much for the advice, everyone.

Re: a new battery. I took mine in to see if they could put a charge back on it, and they said it was deader than a doornail. (They=the local dealership). They could have been lying, but I didn't get that vibe. Regardless, the new battery ($100! And I think I got a 'chick' discount on it, too.) is on the way and I'm definitely going to get a trickle charger to keep from having to deal with a dead battery again.

So... oil change, fuel lines & Seafoam. Check.

The549: yep, that's my bike. Except mine is red! And I agree, I probably should have dumped the boy as soon as the bike hit the ground but, if I had, the bike would probably still be with the keys... in ND! :eek:

Blue: That's too funny! I'm afraid of laughing too hard, though, for fear of jinxing myself when I finally get on the bike. I can see myself throttling off thinking 'Ok, easy does it... never drop the baby, heee hee heeee' *plop* 'Aw, poo.' :lol:

Thanks again, folks. I really appreciate the help!
Well, I can forgive you for the color, but at least you got your bike back and running (?) !

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#12 Unread post by Johnj »

Major service includes fuel system clean and check, valve adjustment, clutch adjustment, replace all fluids, check brakes, tires, forks, rear suspension, in other words the entire bike. These are the things that need to be done at least once a year, you can do them yourself or you can get somebody else to do them.

Now that we have your side of the relationship story, I'd be willing to bet the guy feels like you used him and dumped him. There's always the other persons point of view to consider.

As for damaging your Triumph, that does show he'd a little vindictive punk.

:oops!:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by sharpmagna »

$100 for a battery!!!? My truck's battery doesn't even cost that much! The battery for my 87 Magna only cost $35.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#14 Unread post by ofblong »

sharpmagna wrote:$100 for a battery!!!? My truck's battery doesn't even cost that much! The battery for my 87 Magna only cost $35.
she probably bought it from the dealer instead of someplace like autozone thus she paid the premium.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#15 Unread post by flynrider »

ofblong wrote: she probably bought it from the dealer instead of someplace like autozone thus she paid the premium.
Quite likely. Normal things like oil filters and batteries are generally way overpriced at dealers. Add another 25% on top of that if it happens to be a Triumph dealer.

I've always bought my batteries at K-Mart. Same ones that the dealer has, but never more than $35 or so.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

'Kin'ell!!

#16 Unread post by shalihe74 »

Thank you, everyone, for your awesome advice. I did as y'all advised and then took the bike out for a spin. Engine seemed to heat up too much and too fast, had a look around - the plastic coupling & grommet between the coolant tank and the engine had busted when el ex dropped it.

Ordered the part - which came in yesterday - popped it on and took my bike through his paces.

I can tell ya, the reviews on that bike are spot on: a phenomenal ride but sissy pipes. (Next project, I suppose...) First is a little sticky, so I kept stalling until I found his sweet spot but when I did... oh my oh my oh my. I'm so in love.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help! :bliss:

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#17 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Pics of the actual bike please :)

You with the bike would be a bonus 8)
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#18 Unread post by shalihe74 »

As requested. It's just me here to take pictures, so you'll just have to gaze lovingly at the bike and use your imagination for the rider.

[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by Shorts »

Beautifl bike! 8)

I kinda miss AZ (we have some family in Tucson) and the weather is always great! (if you like the clear skies and sun thing) :mrgreen:

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#20 Unread post by flynrider »

And Sat. was a perfect day to ride. Temps in the mid 70s and calm here in Phoenix on Sat. I had a big list of chores and errands to do, but once I got on the road, I just kept riding. Didn't get back until around 6:30 PM.

The downside is that in 2 months it'll be miserably hot.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk