Honda Shadow 750 vs Yamaha V-Star 650: help to choose

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#11 Unread post by MotoF150 »

The V Star is lighter in weight, easiser to ride and handle, more comfortable on long rides, no vibration and it looks better than the Honda Shadow, most non biker people mistake the V Star for a Harley, also there are ten times more engine mods to increase the power and accessories and add ons are in an endless supply for the Yamaha V Star. its a bike you can custom and make it your own.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Tarheel365
Regular
Regular

#12 Unread post by Tarheel365 »

:shock:
Depends on where you'll be taking the bike.....
on the highway the vstar will get blown around and maintaining higher speeds will make the bike buzzy.

the shadow won't fare much better but it'll be more resistant and have a bit more top end speed.

i suggest checking out the vstar and shadow forums and read what the little perks are for each bike. i wouldn't trust a guy who claims to be a pro yet doesn't do reseach in his own bike.

from what I've read even from shadow and vstar 1100 owners....their bikes get buzzy at around 80 mph as well. i'd check out the suzuki boulevards....they've been around for years as well and their fuel injected.
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/
or www.volusiariders.com

for comfort....its all up the rider. you'll prob end up having to upgrade the seat for long rides despite the bike you purchase. fuel economy should be about even for all bikes in this class. the 650 will prob have worse if you're doing more highway miles. handling, the vstar will prob win since its a lower center of gravity and its lighter. I went through this whole deal last year too.

I had it narrowed down to a vulcan 900 and an m50. I knew I wanted FI so I didnt have to deal w/ rejetting and I wanted a watercooled motor for commuting. I went to the dealer and sat on both. the 900 is a full sized bike. i think it has the same wheelbase as some of the big HDs. I sat on the m50 and I liked it, but I also looked at the c50(Volusia) and even though they have the same motor the c50 was physically as big as the 900. I didn't get to sit on the shadow but I know those were bigger than the shadow. for a 6'2" guy like yourself i'd go w/ something I can stretch my legs out on so as not to feel so cramped.
2006 Suzuki M50

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by MotoF150 »

Yamaha has been making the V Stars for a long time and they have been proven to be reliable and everybody knows about the electrical problems with the Honda's, if you don't know read the reviews
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Doogie
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by Doogie »

Both are good bikes that you would enjoy. How much experience do you have with motorcycle? Have you taken a Motorcycle Riding Course? Keep in mind that anyone can jump on a bike and go straight down the road. How you handle slow maneuvers under 10 mph should be a bigger indicator of how much bike you can handle. There is nothing like dropping a new bike in a slow turn!

I wouldn't look at quarter mile times as much as I would handling and comfort in the saddle. What type of riding do you plan on doing? Smaller bikes like these are great in town and on backroads, but tend to be more uncomfortable on long rides at 80 mph. As others have mentioned, anything under 800 cc will begin to peter out at 80 mph and will be a little buzzy.

If you think you can handle something in this range, personally I would recommend the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Excellent reviews, fuel injection, and belt drive make this a great bike for the class.

I also used to Ride a Honda Sabre 1100 and really enjoyed it. You can pick up used Sabres and the Honda Spirit 1100 that are a couple of years old in the $5000-6000 range.

Good luck in your search! Just be honest about what your experience level is and pick out a bike that fits it.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#15 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

MotoF150 wrote:Yamaha has been making the V Stars for a long time and they have been proven to be reliable and everybody knows about the electrical problems with the Honda's, if you don't know read the reviews
What the hell are you talking about? Honda has been making shadows since the 80s, the only electrical problems with honda are the rectifier/regulators, and those aren't really a problem on the shadows.

The V-Star is slow for a cruiser. It is the slowest bike above 250ccs.... Seriously, try and find a slower 650cc bike... they don't exist. They are a pain in the "O Ring" to maintain, where as Hondas have excellent maintenance records.

Like Doogie said, also check out the Vulcan 800s and 900s. They are a really good bike for the money as well.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

big_ry_ry
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha VStar 1100 classic

#16 Unread post by big_ry_ry »

also something to look at is the seat height if you are a shorter rider, i was supried to see the honda seat height at 25.7". That is shorter than the kawa 125 or the rebel 250

vlx seat height 25.6" i belive the others were 26. something

I see you are taller just wondering if there are any leg issues with turning?on either bike.

InvisibleRider
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by InvisibleRider »

Hello, everybody!
Finally, it happened!!!!!
I got Honda Shadow 750!
Just a few days ago. Going carefully through the transition from a trail bike to the cruiser now. During the first couple of days I was scared of scraping my bum on the tarmac - the seat felt so low! But I'm getting used to it. I am really enjoying my new toy, but trying to stay reasonable with my excitement.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR COMMENTS.
Talk to you soon.
Cheers.
They just don't see me.

Doogie
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by Doogie »

Congrats on the new bike! Be safe and enjoy it!

celt
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by celt »

which model of the shadow did you get?

any pics yet?

oh, and CONGRATS!

i'm a bit partial, but Shadows are wonderful bikes. :D

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by cherokeepati »

:happybikeday: Congrats! I'm glad you got the Shadow. I think you'll find you made the right decision in your choice. May you have many safe and pleasurable rides this summer!! :D
Tactically aware and dangerously underestimated!