You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#71 Unread post by Johnj »

Psst...we're not worried for ourselves.

So let me see if I have this right. You live in Holland were your required to have some 4 mo. of intensive training before you can get a motorcycle endorsement. Based on that you are saying the 600cc sport bikes are ok for American riders, who don't have any required training, to start out on.

I think I like the English way the best. Start out on a small displacement bike, after a couple of years move up to a mid-weight, and a couple of years later unlimited.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#72 Unread post by Peter Y »

So let me see if I have this right. You live in Holland were your required to have some 4 mo. of intensive training before you can get a motorcycle endorsement. Based on that you are saying the 600cc sport bikes are ok for American riders, who don't have any required training, to start out on.
All im saying is its not a big deal to ride a 600CC as your first bike. Its dependant of course on the type of 600CC and the pre-riding preperation you have had. You cant just wave a flag in the air and say "Dam to all new riders who ride a 600CC as their first bike". Thats the online bashing I have received when I tried to argue any different.

But wait theres more :laughing: Im also compiling a list of responses Ive got from a Europe forum on the same issue and will share these in the near future. You will then see the contrast.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#73 Unread post by Nalian »

Peter - you have your opinion and others have theirs. I don't think you're going to prove anything going on a tangent. ;)

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#74 Unread post by Peter Y »

Nalian wrote:Peter - you have your opinion and others have theirs. I don't think you're going to prove anything going on a tangent. ;)
U know considering the online bashing I got I think im being totally mild in my response. But wait give it a day or so Im going to come back with some interesting data for your folks to review. Same topic same circumstances and differing views. I just think you need to question the status quo and not be "conditioned" to just agree with what you read or others say. :mrgreen:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#75 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Peter

In the us you don't need any training to get a license. You can use a friends scooter and pass the skills test legally. Compare that to the training that you claim to have received. We don't have anything like that AVAILABLE on this side of the water. Also, our cars are bigger, our drivers are more aggressive and there are too many salesman that think about money over reason. The european culture is accepting of motorcycles and they are in a much greater abundance over there.

You've essentially been trained to ride that bike. Most of the kids that start out on 600+cc race replicas don't even have the weekend course that we recommend. Given the vast differences, no- no one is going to be surprised if you put European forum data up that contradicts this.

Also- your bike is a katana- not the R6, GSXR 600 and other race replicas that we warn about. It's tamer in comparison
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Damian
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#76 Unread post by Damian »

But two pages back, Shorts was telling Peter that the requirements to ride in the states were about the same as he described for the Netherlands. So he's getting conflicting arguments - frustrating for anyone.

Peter, nice bike. If you haven't seen it yet, check out katriders.com.
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#77 Unread post by Peter Y »

In the us you don't need any training to get a license. You can use a friends scooter and pass the skills test legally. Compare that to the training that you claim to have received. You've essentially been trained to ride that bike.

Also- your bike is a katana- not the R6, GSXR 600 and other race replicas that we warn about. It's tamer in comparison
Great points & they are the points I made to build my case around what Ive been screaming out here for the last month or so. Its totally different and thats why I was so frustrated to get an "online bashing" from the majority of responses ( not every single one but the vast majority). Plus as you so rightly say my bike is a very timid 600CC. Not going to flip over at the traffic lights with some extra power.

But yep now im totally confused because I was advised on a previous post that the training & pre license preperation was the same.

U can imagine all the responses I got when I raised the issue on a UK forum im also a member of. I got 400 hits in half a day.

Anyway I guess we still havent got to the bottom of this. Its still open????

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#78 Unread post by Peter Y »

Peter, nice bike. If you haven't seen it yet, check out katriders.com
Thanks for the heads up on the Katana site. Ive already registered.

jackc34
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking to buy a bike.

#79 Unread post by jackc34 »

Scoutmedic wrote:
jackc34 wrote:Hi,I'm just buying my first motorcycle,I wanted a Sport bike,I saw 2006 Honda Intercepter on the Honda site,But after reading the post about 600cc bikes and beginers I thought I should ask you guys what would be a good bike,

My other choice even though it's not as cool looking was the Ninja 250.

Can you guys give me any seggustions? :?
Have you checked out the Beginner's Guide? There are also stickies and the Learn To Ride A Motorcycle page which is now downloadable in PDF format (Created and maintained by Dragonhawk).

Yea,Well I've decided on a 2007 Honda CBR600cc Supersport,I've heard all this stuff about the 600cc,but I'm going for it.anyways thanks for the tips.Wish me luck.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Looking to buy a bike.

#80 Unread post by Sev »

jackc34 wrote:
Scoutmedic wrote:
jackc34 wrote:Hi,I'm just buying my first motorcycle,I wanted a Sport bike,I saw 2006 Honda Intercepter on the Honda site,But after reading the post about 600cc bikes and beginers I thought I should ask you guys what would be a good bike,

My other choice even though it's not as cool looking was the Ninja 250.

Can you guys give me any seggustions? :?
Have you checked out the Beginner's Guide? There are also stickies and the Learn To Ride A Motorcycle page which is now downloadable in PDF format (Created and maintained by Dragonhawk).

Yea,Well I've decided on a 2007 Honda CBR600cc Supersport,I've heard all this stuff about the 600cc,but I'm going for it.anyways thanks for the tips.Wish me luck.
Good Luck.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]