LADIES - Newbie lessons learned today

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

LADIES - Newbie lessons learned today

#1 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

1. No matter how close that teenager in the Sentra is following you on a rural road (even after you tapped your rear brake repeatedly), "ride your own ride". Look at the road ahead, not in your mirrors the whole time. There will undoubtedly be a turn or stop sign coming up.
2. Know where your petcock is so you can find it on the fly. Otherwise, you might run out of gas in the middle of a turn and have to hunt for it before someone drives up your tailpipe. (Dude, I am STILL shaking from that one.)
3. Carry a shop rag in your pocket for when you spill gas on your tank while filling up with shaky hands. If you forget, the kindly attendant inside the gas station will have a paper towel you can use.
'85 Yamaha FJ600

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

So, what exactly happened?

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

Oh nothing really happened. The teenager following too closely made me nervous until I decided to keep my eyes on the road ahead. She eventually backed off when she saw she wasn't going to rush me.
I did run out of gas in a turn. It took me a second to realize that was what happened, kept trying to start it. I had to look down and find where my petcock valve was, then find RSV. All the while, I was nervously looking behind me to see if someone was driving around the turn.
After I got started again, I scooted to the nearest gas station. My hands were shaking so badly that I spilled fuel on my tank. I didn't have a rag but the lady working inside gave me a paper towel.
Nothing really happened, but it was the most interesting day yet in my very early riding career. I now have 160+ miles under my seat, yay!
'85 Yamaha FJ600

blues2cruise

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You kept your cool. :) That's a good thing. I don't like it either when someone is following too close. On occasion I have even pulled over and then the pressure is off.
My friend says that's a biker no-no, but I say I don't care. I'd rather pull over, let them go by and then we are all happy.

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by MicheleZ »

blues2cruise wrote:You kept your cool. :) That's a good thing.
Yes, I think keeping your cool is one of the most important things you can accomplish - when you start getting "riled up" and not thinking clearly, that's when mistakes happen, that's when you do things you shouldn't have done, that's when a bad situation becomes a really bad situation. One time I was waiting to get out of a gas station, there was traffic coming really fast down the hill and I needed to turn right - well I waited for a safe opening. However, the driver behind me thought I wasn't moving when I should so they cut around me and went out. That was okay with me because I wasn't moving until I felt okay to go. On the other hand, the idiot could have run me over if I had decided to go when she did. But she did stop next to me before she pulled out so I had a chance to see what she was doing and waited for her to go. Being impatient is extremely dangerous when riding.

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by shalihe74 »

+1 to blues and Michelez. As they said - keeping your head about you is absolutely critical. And learn from your mistakes so you a) know how to avoid it in the future and b) know what to do if it happens again. :)

Congrats on making it through a harrowing day safely!
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

mtn_horn
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by mtn_horn »

blues2cruise wrote:... On occasion I have even pulled over and then the pressure is off. My friend says that's a biker no-no, ...
Noob question here:

Is that a biker no-no because we should own our lane or is it more of a no-no because it is seen as a less-than-biker-tough thing to do? I am asking earnestly - I'd really like to know if there is a legitimate safety issue with pulling over (assuming one can pull over safely) to let a persistent tailgater get by.
I know you said, "can't you just get over it?" It turned my whole life around and I kinda like it...

Our rides:
02 Vespa ET4
05 Vespa PX150
06 Honda 750 Aero
07 Honda 750 Aero

blues2cruise

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

mtn_horn wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:... On occasion I have even pulled over and then the pressure is off. My friend says that's a biker no-no, ...
Noob question here:

Is that a biker no-no because we should own our lane or is it more of a no-no because it is seen as a less-than-biker-tough thing to do? I am asking earnestly - I'd really like to know if there is a legitimate safety issue with pulling over (assuming one can pull over safely) to let a persistent tailgater get by.
He said it was biker no-no, because it was seen as a less-than-biker-tough thing to do.
I told him I don't care.

I have pulled over quite frequently to let traffic pass me. That way, they are happy and I am happy.

For example, to get to my Mom's place it is an hour of mostly winding highway. A lot of curves are blind curves and very tight. If I want to slow to the "suggested" speed and I see some cars gaining on me, I pull over in a safe place and let all go by.

If you are not in an area where you can pull over or change to a different lane, then yes, you should use your lane. You don't want someone trying to pass you in your lane.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#9 Unread post by flw »

I would agree with you. Let some nut go by so you can enjoy your ride.

As far the the petcock, if you can't find it quickly, signal and glide over. Doesn't sound like a good idea to be taking your eyes off the road on a turn.

Only my opinion. :wink:
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

Oh I assure you my eyes never left the road, that's why I couldn't find the petcock. As far as gliding over, that's all I could do as I had run out of gas. Ha! What a day that was.
And since then I have fallen over in the parking lot of my fave Mexican restaurant. I'll be sure to tell that story when I have more time. Just another noob lesson: NEVER stop with your wheel turned. Even in a parking lot.
'85 Yamaha FJ600