You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#101 Unread post by Nalian »

b!keR wrote:as I can see...everybody on this forum are scared of SUPERSPORTS bikes. :mrgreen:
Only when they're underneath total n00bs.

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#102 Unread post by shalihe74 »

b!keR wrote:
as I can see...everybody on this forum are scared of SUPERSPORTS bikes.

+1
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#103 Unread post by Peter Y »

Nalian wrote:
b!keR wrote:as I can see...everybody on this forum are scared of SUPERSPORTS bikes. :mrgreen:
In this forum if you want a supersports 600CC the following requirments apply:

1. You need to have had raced in a F1 competition.
2. You need to have had a miniumum of 20 years+ on a bike that is smaller than 600CC.
3. You need to have completed all the safety, racing, first aid and advance drivers course that are on the market.
4. You need the blessing of the "hard "O Ring"" fanatical anti 600CC people on this forum.

Then you just might get the node of approval

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#104 Unread post by jonnythan »

Peter Y wrote:
Nalian wrote:

2. You need to have had a miniumum of 20 years+ on a bike that is smaller than 600CC.
3. You need to have completed all the safety, racing, first aid and advance drivers course that are on the market.
4. You need the blessing of the "hard "O Ring"" fanatical anti 600CC people on this forum.

Or you can be a jerk and have everyone hate your obnoxious attitude.

The reality is that people on this forum have no problem recommending supersport bikes to people who want them and have a few thousand miles under their belts.

They vehemently recommend against them for new riders.

End of story. Please put the attitude away.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#105 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Peter Y wrote:
Nalian wrote:

Or a year on a smaller bike without crashing..... There is a reason that insurance on supersports is so expensive. Because noobs CRASH THEM! Get a freakin clue... the statistics on these things aren't just made up.

I started on a 250cc, then moved up to a 1979 KZ650 after 6 months (right around 50 hp), then grabbed an 84 VF700F Interceptor with 70 hp, then a 94 VFR750 Interceptor with 96hp. This is over a period of 2 years. I rode each of these bikes until I felt comfortable with the increased power and handling.

Now I ride a Ducati Supersport 1000DS, which actually has less horsepower than the 94 Interceptor (but more torque). If I would have jumped straight from the 250 to the Ducati, I can be pretty sure that I would not have the same level of confidence as I do today. Working your way up, while trying to reach the potential of each bike along the way, will give you a much stronger skills base then jumping too far and trying to "grow into the bike".

Yes, I've had quite a few bikes in the 2.5 years I've been riding, but I only took small losses on each bike I sold (very small, if any), and the experience that comes from moving up gradually is priceless.

On a different note, Jackc34, if you are comfortable that the dealer will honor warranty claims, and you will be able to get parts, I would definitely go for it. A 3 year powertrain warranty is excellent, and even 18 months on all parts is better than the 1 yr standard. That is a sweet looking 250! And 4.5 gallon tank one one of those should get you crazy miles before fillup! I would expect around 60mph on that bike.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#106 Unread post by Peter Y »

jonnythan wrote: End of story. Please put the attitude away.
Whats life without attitude? U know theres no need shy away from attitude just because its not for you. Embrace diversity, be open minded to differing views. There are numerous countries in the world with various cultures and varying traditions. As we observe, learn and understand their ways and means of doing things we actually become a better person. What I find here is that everything is like a club. You differ and your and outcast. Anyway im persistent and wont shy away. I have a point to prove and will continue my crusade until I prove it.

Along the way I might just pick up some excellent biking tips also.

PS: Was a beautiful day in Amsterdam today. Went for a ride around the Canal's in the city. :wink:

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#107 Unread post by jonnythan »

Life's too short to put up with jerks.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#108 Unread post by Sev »

And what pray tell is the point that you are trying to make?

You'll note that on this forum (should you choose to read the forums as a whole) we have acknowledged that it is more then possible to start on a supersport and not crash. You may even become a competant rider in doing so. However, this does not make you a good rider, nor does it make you special. It merely means you chose to ignore the advice of those more experienced then you.

If a smoker were to tell you to not start smoking would you still do it? No, because they know what you're about to attempt, and have a far better understanding of what goes into it then you could. New riders sit on the outside of the picture and have only a few preconcieved notions. A lot of the riders on this forum have thousands of miles and several years to several decades of experience that they are attempting to share with new riders. And to be very honest it becomes amazingly frustrating when they choose to ignore advice they asked for.

As for your bike - the katana 600, it isn't a supersport, nor will it ever be. Having neither started on, nor dealt with a supersport I fail to see how you're in a situation to recomend one.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#109 Unread post by Peter Y »

Sev wrote:
If a smoker were to tell you to not start smoking would you still do it? No, because they know what you're about to attempt, and have a far better understanding of what goes into it then you could. New riders sit on the outside of the picture and have only a few preconcieved notions. A lot of the riders on this forum have thousands of miles and several years to several decades of experience that they are attempting to share with new riders. And to be very honest it becomes amazingly frustrating when they choose to ignore advice they asked for.

As for your bike - the katana 600, it isn't a supersport, nor will it ever be. Having neither started on, nor dealt with a supersport I fail to see how you're in a situation to recomend one.
U know my opinions will differ with you but at least you go about expressing your views constructivley. I respect that. Im far from a bike expert but never see myself being so narrow minded that I cannot interact with people with differing views.

There comes a point where overcomming the one sided views becomes prime objective rather than interactive bike discussion.

Anyway different world , different views. You guys are what you are and likewise for me. I guess the fact that we have so many different cultures/countries (in europe) in a condensed geography will mean we will always be different to the folks on the other side of the water.

Ill just continue to interact and see how bumpy the ride gets. :|

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#110 Unread post by Peter Y »

jonnythan wrote:Life's too short to put up with jerks.
Yeah thats the spirit. Great intellect,really constructive.