Limited - Only for younger or inexperienced riders
21%

Total votes: 178

Flting Duck
Elite
Elite

Helmet laws - for or against

#1 Unread post by Flting Duck »

Just curious how people feel about helmet laws. Personally I'm against them - although I like helmet laws where you can ride without if you're properly insured. I also think they're not a bad idea for new riders (say one year from when you get your license - yes, miles would be better but I'm being realistic about how enforceable such laws would be) or those under 18 or 21.

FYI: I USUALLY ride with a helmet - shorty on my touring bike, Full face on my sportier bike as I don't like taking rocks and bugs in my face. My fullface helmets are Arai Quantums - if I"m going to wear a full face helmet, I might as well have one that's going to protect me well. I live in a state with a helmet law but do like to go lidless touring in helmet-free states.
93 BMW K1100LT "The Green Hornet"
91 BMW K100RS 4V "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

Neutral. I'll never ride without a helmet, normally a full face. Never, not once, not ever, period. Concerning laws, helmet laws by themselves are innocuous, although they do open the door for government over-regulation of motorcycle riding, and I don't like that.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#3 Unread post by Gadjet »

Personally, I'm in favor of helmet laws, even though I would wear one if there was no law saying I had to. It's really stupid not to wear a helmet.

The only time that I have ridden without a helmet on was one night in Dillon Montana, when another Alberta rider that I had met on the road and I went off looking for a bar to unwind after a long day of riding. It was only about 8 blocks from our hotel, and we didn't feel like walking, so we took the bikes. It was a really bizarre feeling riding in my boots, jeans, and t-shirt, and not something that I am ever likely to repeat.

You never know what could happen, so it's far better to play it safe.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

bikeguy joe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by bikeguy joe »

Limited. Only because you should have the right to choose. I wear a modular flip-up full face most of the time. Sometimes I don't.
I like it that way.

grymlocke
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by grymlocke »

As a class A driver and a motorcyclist my idea was to have a medical/waiver card (similar to a CDL medical) required for all riders over 21 (under 21, helmet required, period) good for 2 years stating the rider understands the danger and waives wearing a helmet. BUT by carrying this card, Hospital doesn't have to take extraordinary measures to keep you alive AND it waives the hospital/city/county/state/fed from lawsuits by relatives for your death and they ( hospital/city/county/state/fed) also have no responsibility to maintain your life (ie, hire someone to wipe your arse and feed you) should you become a eggplant BECUASE of your choice not to wear a helmut.
Signed by both doctor and rider ofcourse, this gives the doctor the chance to show/convince rider the error of his/her choice...AND if stopped by LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) and not having a CURRENT card will carry hefty fines....

this way, you can choose or not....choice carries responsibility.

MHI (My Humble Idea) :|

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

grymlocke wrote:As a class A driver and a motorcyclist my idea was to have a medical/waiver card (similar to a CDL medical) required for all riders over 21 (under 21, helmet required, period) good for 2 years stating the rider understands the danger and waives wearing a helmet. BUT by carrying this card, Hospital doesn't have to take extraordinary measures to keep you alive AND it waives the hospital/city/county/state/fed from lawsuits by relatives for your death and they ( hospital/city/county/state/fed) also have no responsibility to maintain your life (ie, hire someone to wipe your arse and feed you) should you become a eggplant BECUASE of your choice not to wear a helmut.
Signed by both doctor and rider ofcourse, this gives the doctor the chance to show/convince rider the error of his/her choice...AND if stopped by LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) and not having a CURRENT card will carry hefty fines....

this way, you can choose or not....choice carries responsibility.

MHI (My Humble Idea) :|
Damn, that's a complicated system.

I like how it is now. DOT helmet or you get a ticket. Plain and simple.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

As you might have guessed, I voted in favor of helmet laws. But I do believe motorcycling is about personal sense of freedom and enjoyment and if you so choose not to wear a helmet that should be your choice to make.

A helmet may or may not save your life, there are a lot of variables involved to say a definate YES or NO to that. But it will save the parts on your head from being shaved/sliced/removed in an accident. I have my whole natural chin thanks to wearing a full face helmet at the time of my accident so it worked for me. If I had even a 3/4 helmet I'd have lost parts of my face.

Like Gadjet has mentioned about riding without a helmet I too found myself riding down to Montana (while wearing a helmet), unpacked in the lodge then without gear thought about riding to the local gas station (for beer), but decided agaist it as it felt "too weird" to actually do. I'm still glad I didn't ride without a helmet to this day.

But I can only imagine the feeling of wind through one's hair at speed and the weight of the helmet not there...

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

Well, I voted "Yes" for helmet laws, as there wasn't a "yes, but" selection.

I think helmets do matter. However, I'm not in favor of more regulations on motorcyclists. I do wish ever rider would wear a helmet, but that isn't my call. We wear full face helmets, and if there were no laws regulating we do, we'd still wear them, even if everyone else wasn't.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Shorts wrote:I think helmets do matter. However, I'm not in favor of more regulations on motorcyclists. I do wish ever rider would wear a helmet, but that isn't my call. We wear full face helmets, and if there were no laws regulating we do, we'd still wear them, even if everyone else wasn't.
Well said!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by Apollofrost »

+1 to shorts, that sums my feelings up perfectly.

I don't ride, yet. But I used to bike and helmets have saved my life and my face more than once, so I'll always wear one. But I'm not going to force my ideals on others.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous