Ladies - Women's first bike choice

NJ-Pinay
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#101 Unread post by NJ-Pinay »

I usually gear down until I can't go anymore - that's how I know I'm in first. It might sound stupid but it works for me.
Blue 05 GS500F - no mods yet!

maryloulea
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#102 Unread post by maryloulea »

Ok first off I want to say Hello, I'm new here, I stumbled upon this site looking for ideas for my first bike and thought I would run it by some of you, maybe an opinion would help. My husband rides a gsxr 1000, and has always rode leader bikes, I am ready to get my own (Ive been the passenger for 4 years) and we have come up with either the yamaha R6 or the gsxr 600. Any thoughts on starting on a sportbike vs. a "cruiser" style? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#103 Unread post by Loonette »

maryloulea wrote:Ok first off I want to say Hello, I'm new here, I stumbled upon this site looking for ideas for my first bike and thought I would run it by some of you, maybe an opinion would help. My husband rides a gsxr 1000, and has always rode leader bikes, I am ready to get my own (Ive been the passenger for 4 years) and we have come up with either the yamaha R6 or the gsxr 600. Any thoughts on starting on a sportbike vs. a "cruiser" style? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
I think you meant "litre" bikes? Anyway...

Any newbie should be check out our "new riders" forum, including this thread... viewtopic.php?t=11866&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

The topic is covered over and over again in these forums. When you're just learning to ride, your focus should be on developing skills. A 600cc+ sports bike is unforgiving in all aspects. Some do well, but generally it's not a great idea to start off on that size of a bike. In the cruiser class, a 600cc isn't such a big deal, as those bikes are lower to the ground and are tuned differently.

I would never advise anyone on a definite "yes" or "no", but you should read around and be wary of those who say it's "no big deal" to start on a 600cc+ sports bike. It is a big deal - not necessarily impossible, but not easy either. Good luck.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

NJ-Pinay
Veteran
Veteran

#104 Unread post by NJ-Pinay »

OMG, definitely way too powerful bikes for a beginner. Please don't do it. I was exactly in your shoes. My advice is to start smaller like a 250 or 500 and work up with experience. What you need to do first is take the course & pass it. Then go to a few bike shops and sit on different bikes and see how confortable you feel. I was also undecided but was looking toward a cruiser. But I realized the bikes were soo heavy that I couldn't get it off the kickstand. I'm 5-2 and weigh 110 lbs. After a lot of research with the help of my husband, I ended up buying a 05 Suzuki GS500F. It's a great starter bike and I love it. So far I've put 800 miles since I got it this past April. Some may think it's not a lot of miles but I rode every weekend (weather permitting)...it rained a lot of weekends. Everyday is a new experience and a learning experience. Your husband is already an experienced rider and he can handle the power.

I did look at the Ninja 250 but my husband felt that I would get bored of it fast and upgrade w/i a couple of months.

You know yourself the best and will make the best decision for you.

Keep us updated on your actions.
Blue 05 GS500F - no mods yet!

maggy
Rookie
Rookie

#105 Unread post by maggy »

I have posted this on the site for a newbie but it is worth repeating for some. If you have a hard time getting someone to ride with on a permit or license and getting to a parking lot I suggest big time a little 50 cc tank bike. it is a custom little cruiser with everything the big bikes have accept power and size, it is not like a pocket bike or nothing. About the size look wise as the ones at msf. In las vegas , no license other than driver's license is needed. no insurance, no registration . at this time. I am sure that is going to change in time. they consider it like the little scooters around here. the 47.9 I think bikes. so under 50 cc's. the thing is don't get cause riding over 30 miles an hour. that is the catch. lol
It a go up to 45 miles an hour and I believe I got it to 50 but then it is in the red zone lol
If it were not for the little tank bike I would never have gotten practice. Trust me, long story.
Like I said if you have no one to ride with this is the bike. Of course know it is not a toy. You can get killed and so forth just like on any bike. It is not for heavy traffic I dont think so anyhow. Cause you just can' t be seen even more so. But great for neighborhoods and parking lot and light traffic.
Maggy
RIDE TO LIVE
MAGGY
[img]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/359/00/10100516231167109485.jpg[/img]

maggy
Rookie
Rookie

#106 Unread post by maggy »

April, your just the one I want to talk to. I am 59 . I am getting my license. I have been practicing on a custom little crusier 50 cc. street legal in nv with out needing a permit or anything.
I also have my big girl ( 750 ace Shadow 750) I love her and am finally getting some practice on her. I never seem to have anyone that is willing to get me to parking lot for practice so this is why I bought the 50 cc, yet I love her. she is so much fun and has all the equipment and running gear as a big crusier.
What I am wondering is this. At MSF at our age , did you find the instructors a little shall we say harder on you cause of your age. Not really wanting you to pass? there is no problem to me riding at any age. Long as there is no safety problem.
What do you think April?
Maggy rides and will continue.
RIDE TO LIVE
MAGGY
[img]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/359/00/10100516231167109485.jpg[/img]

motorcyclinmama
Regular
Regular

#107 Unread post by motorcyclinmama »

I'm 5ft. 1in. with a 27 inch inseam. I ride a Vulcan 500, and it fits me perfect! :D
I learned on this bike, and love it very much. I am going for my MSF in a few months.

Amy
You only live once!

We currently own:
Me== 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Hubby== 2007 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

I have 2 beautiful sons Jason 17 and Brian 13

ejjury
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I need help

#108 Unread post by ejjury »

strtchick wrote:I have a question I am 5'5 and weigh about 115 i want to get a streetbike a nice eacy one to maneuver and fun bike I want to get somthing light i was thinking of Yamaha or Suxuki or Honda btu dotn know which would fit my needs best help :o
I went and bought a Honda 919. Granted, I just barely fit on it, but it is incredibly fun to ride. Try the 599 and see how that works for you.
Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience and rebellion that progress has been made.
-Oscar Wilde

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#109 Unread post by NightNurse »

I have a 94 Yamaha Virago. I am almost 5'7, and fit perfectly on it! It is easy to ride, and not to heavy. I learned on a ninja 250. I could still flat foot on that bike as well, but not as comfortably. I would recomend a Virago for any female wanting to ride!

Marilee
Veteran
Veteran

#110 Unread post by Marilee »

I have a 2006 Honda Shadow 750 .. love it.. low and smooth.. I am 5'7 as well and it feels right to me. I was on my husband's bike a Boulevard CT50 and it was just too wide to me it felt overwhelming.
Work to ride and ride to work. ~Author Unknown

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown